Duckweed snuck into my tank?

• Administrators

It's duckweed. I kinda had the same thing happen. No duckweed anywhere in the fish room for months. I now have like 20 pieces in 1 tank... I'm convinced it was dried up under a rim of the tank and a fish splashed it and now it's back in that tank.

It’s duckweed. I find duckweed reduces the light just right for my tanks, but I have to scrape it all off of my arms every time I have to get into the tank. I still haven’t decided whether or not to remove it all or leave it. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2024 at 2:19 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Oh no! It's Duckweed. Start scooping it allllll out now or you are doomed! Or you'll love it, depends on what you want. :classic_biggrin:

Well I kinda like it, but it can be a lot when it grows and there is more and more and more and more. lol. Thanks. might just get rid of it, or use it for shade for my anunias idk i will see.

On 9/8/2024 at 2:32 PM, Cory said:

It's duckweed. I kinda had the same thing happen. No duckweed anywhere in the fish room for months. I now have like 20 pieces in 1 tank... I'm convinced it was dried up under a rim of the tank and a fish splashed it and now it's back in that tank.

Thank you Cory. i appreciate it. For me idk what happened, it just appeared lol.

On 9/8/2024 at 2:40 PM, MWilk said:

It’s duckweed. I find duckweed reduces the light just right for my tanks, but I have to scrape it all off of my arms every time I have to get into the tank. I still haven’t decided whether or not to remove it all or leave it. 

thank you @MWilk

• 2 weeks later...

@Whitecloud09Has your Duckweed taken over, or has it quietly faded away like mine usually does?

On 9/8/2024 at 3:07 PM, JoeQ said:

WHO DOESN'T LOVE DUCK WEED???

My local county park board doesn't love Duckweed, but I do!  They are finally getting around to draining and dredging an entire lake because the Duckweed has taken over a majority portion of the water surface.  I did my part by scooping out a free handful to take home for my pond.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 10:15 AM, Tanked said:

I did my part by scooping out a free handful to take home for my pond.

Nice, thank you for doing your part!!! My bucket is still going strong, but I still put some in my 15g for safe keepings. I kind of want to leave the bucket outside and see how long it can survive. 

As for your county park they should have considered adding koi to your waters. I can't keep plants in our pond because koi destroy everything!!!

*picture pending *

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 10:34 AM, JoeQ said:

Nice, thank you for doing your part!!! My bucket is still going strong, but I still put some in my 15g for safe keepings. I kind of want to leave the bucket outside and see how long it can survive. 

As for your county park they should have considered adding koi to your waters. I can't keep plants in our pond because koi destroy everything!!!

*picture pending *

My DW collection will be 3 years old in November.  It took almost three years for the park district to get from thinking about draining the 35 acre lake, to actually doing it.  The native fish were left to fend for themselves. 

I suspect your bucket will be ok.  The smaller of my two  patio ponds is about 15 gallons and only about 1 foot deep. The  DW overwintered on the bottom and has come back every year so far.  In my aquariums DW has failed to be the invasive plant I was hoping for.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 11:31 AM, Tanked said:

My DW collection will be 3 years old in November.  It took almost three years for the park district to get from thinking about draining the 35 acre lake, to actually doing it.  The native fish were left to fend for themselves. 

I suspect your bucket will be ok.  The smaller of my two  patio ponds is about 15 gallons and only about 1 foot deep. The  DW overwintered on the bottom and has come back every year so far.  In my aquariums DW has failed to be the invasive plant I was hoping for.

Poor fish!!! Do you think the county will feel bad about wasting tax dollars when it comes back in a few years??? 🤣

As for DW in the aquarium, heavy fertilization seems to be key. For me it did not do so well dosing at PPS levels. 

On 9/20/2024 at 11:40 AM, JoeQ said:

Poor fish!!! Do you think the county will feel bad about wasting tax dollars when it comes back in a few years??? 🤣

Not at all. They get a rate renewal or increase every time they ask.  According to one source, this is the second time in 30 years.  They hope to get it right this time.

It isn't all bad. Catch limits were removed last year, and when the sluice gates were opened it is hoped that most of the fish would migrate to the nearby creek that feeds the lake.  Whatever the scavengers don't take will be scooped up with the muck and converted to additional wetlands and wildlife areas.

On 9/21/2024 at 10:53 AM, Mississippi fish guy said:

Same, i have never found more than about four or five pieces of duck weed in one of my aquariums at a time and it’s been there for a month or more.

I'm kind of envious of the people who must remove bucket loads of DW.   In my small community tank four or five pieces live on a sponge that breaks up the UGF bubbles.  In the large community tank,  DW was supposed to be a self replenishing salad bar for the plant eaters.  It is growing above the water line, on top of the wine corks that support the plastic ring that was originally supposed to contain it, The fish can't get to it.

• Like 1