Mastering Java Fern - Crowd Sourcing

Cory

• Administrators

I'm wanting to do some scaping with Java Ferns. This lead me to a question.... If Java ferns can feed from substrate with their roots, could they feed from wood? I'm wondering if technically Java Ferns do better on Wood or on gravel compared to scaping stones.

While we are mastering it, what else have you learned? I find that I always get die off before blooming ferns. A 6 to 12 month growth on a large stone creates a statement piece for years. Once established I find that the java ferns typically just sustain themselves. This was in softer water almost R/O water. Thrived with or without easy green on rocks.

I had one large Java Fern whose rhizome I I just stuck into a hole on a large piece of Texas Holey Rock. Its roots never attached there, and never reached any substarate at all. Occasionally, I'd pull it out and tear off baby Java Ferns to propagate. The tank was wildly overstocked -- I was breeding and raising Electric Blue Acaras at the time. Here's several videos. I'm not much of a plant guy, so please pardon my plant ignorance...

For some reason, this next YouTube link won't embed the video...

https://youtu.be/Z9BRZOPUDMg

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 3

I do think Java ferns do slightly better for me when on wood rather than rock but any time they can reach substrate with their roots they do better still.  Same for Anubias.  I’m not as good about fertilizing as reliably as I should so that’s likely part of the differences I see.  Rhizome on wood and roots reaching into nice mulmy sand gets them growing best for me.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2024 at 2:13 AM, Odd Duck said:

I do think Java ferns do slightly better for me when on wood rather than rock but any time they can reach substrate with their roots they do better still.  Same for Anubias.  I’m not as good about fertilizing as reliably as I should so that’s likely part of the differences I see.  Rhizome on wood and roots reaching into nice mulmy sand gets them growing best for me.

Yes.I think anubais and java fern thrive best on driftwood. I am now having more blooming ferns instead of dying ones on the wood. 

• Administrators

Interesting, I may try some long term "testing" which would be set up some ferns on wood and some on rock in my tanks and see if the wood ones thrive. From just the few people who have weighed in. Maybe the ultimate is wood that is low enough for java fern to tap into the gravel as well.

I just feel like as such a industry staple plant, we kinda don't know that much about what really makes it happy.

Using Chicago water I've found they do best with lots of extra potassium and a touch of CO2. I killed so many before I learned that, or they just looked terrible. I've had the best luck not attaching them to anything, held in place with strategic placement among driftwood/rocks. I think they have started to attach to the driftwood as they don't have much give anymore (it's in a large tank and a hard to see spot).

• Like 3

Personally I've found my Narrow Leaf has done well on wood and not quite as well on harder scape (rocks/decor). I have a piece of wood that is arched out of the planting substrate and a lot of Narrow and Windelov on it, seems to do great compared to other Java placement.

• Like 2