Lighting choice for Planted Tanks

So what lighting are you using for your planted tanks
Look forward to seeing what you all like, and why.  Have seen higher failure rates on a lot of the budget lights, so thinking it may be worth paying more for something that will do a good job and last a long time. 

I've finally decided to go to a 50G tank skipping the 20L.  This will be my main tank, and leaving my 29g as my hillstream loach grow out tank.  Don't want to move em, they continue to spawn for me.   The 50g has the perfect footprint for the space.  (pretty limited in our apt...we have so much stuff lol) 

tank size: 50g:   36L x 18D x 18H, and will be a planted tank. 
Plants:  Likely Low to Med light plants...would like a pop of red
Co2: Not planning on using Co2.  Want to keep it simple

The options here in Canada aren't as good as you have in USA.  Sadly can't go with Cory's lights, so looking at others on Amazon.  (Pretty pricey at local shops here).

Still prepping the room (painting, clearing the wall, organizing building shelves / stand etc) so lots of time to research everything.  Prob one of my fav parts of the hobby.  Have learned so much over the past few weeks.  Ideally, I'd like to keep it around $100, I will go higher if can spread it out over interest free payments.  Amazon offers that for some things.  It's actually offered on the Fluval 3.0 .... well sort of.  It's offered on every size but the one I want.  Amazon is such a tease lol.

A few I'm considering.

Fluval 3.0:  Highest end of the budget ($216 to $260)
The app looks good, like that things can be dimmed, and you have a lot of control, good waterproofing. 
Hoping Amazon will toss in their 0 interest pay over time options on it. 

Hygger 978 ($60 to $80)
Reviews seem good.  Not real fussy on the corded remote.  Also don't like it doesn't hold onto your settings if you lose power. 

Hygger 957 ($70 to $90)
Reviews decent.  I like that it has the control panel on the light so that you can see what you are doing.  Still has the issue of not remembering settings.

Hygger 016
haven't found here in Canada yet.  I like the advanced remote, and sounds like the memory isssue may be fixed with this one.

Hygger 028 - Bluetooth light
haven't found in Canada yet

Chihiros A II ($165-$170)
don't know a lot about this light yet.  I have heard a lot of people suggesting their lights.  Still looking into it.

Finnex Stingray 2 ($140 to $150)
Have read mixed reviews, some people love em, some people have had issues. 

Nicrew SkyLED Plus ($65)
has decent features.  the control panel seems nice, seeing lots of reports on Nicrew lights not lasting long. 

Edited by Arcticgypsy

The Fluval planted 3.0 has a great app, andgood water resistance.  In my opinion having used them they have poor light distribution and lousy color rendering.  

The red channel is a light pink, the blue is a weird blue,  cool white is incredibly weak,  the two white channels  that drive power gives a yellowish light  that lacks contrast and washes out your tank.

IMG_2687.jpeg.027dc024ff2b6a00b633640feea75248.jpeg

I am not a fan.  I think they are incredibly overrated myself, but that is an opinion…Lots of online presenters think they are the bee’s knees…

I am currently running Chihiros WRGB2 pros.  These are true Red Green Blue lights allowing you to dial in the color rendering with great contrast.  It has white LEDs, that you can add in, but I dont run them at all.  I am getting all my PAR from the RGB channels.  It is a premium light and carries a premium price point, but budget compared to ADA lights.

image0.jpeg.029b8b8189a50e0cf72fc0de70e79131.jpeg

Honestly the camera fails to capture the difference I see in person with my eyes…

As far as growing plants, the Fluval would grow just as well, assuming adequate light distribution.  The Chihiros puts out about twice the power as the Fluval…. On bigger tanks, so e people might need 2 Fluvals, one in the back, one in the front to match a single Chihiros…. The Chihiros could be cheaper in that eventuality…

Week Aqua series P lights are on the same light quality range as Chihiros, but they are cheaper though they have a fan for heat disspation wheras the Chihiros has passive heat dissipation..

I recently bought a budget light from Amazon. A Brite series aquarium light sold by Mag Tool through Amazon.

image.jpeg.f3d6c2f5a18b1687d842f47c326a9fa2.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/MagTool-Aquarium-App-Controlled-Extendable-BRITE/dp/B0D1GB9NK6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2OEP1MZVTWY37&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.WZgWT4iAGQLjQauz0QRc_oeO9zbbynGe2X_pyuGVldUZcy90XwOaprFKDKn2Qz6v20QyLIG3qMS_tDeCzm-71Jb6hHSd_v4y5Vzm-QC5qKvudW1T6XZDInMS9yRAnb7HjWr-CiQvnyyU65iDLmsvrd-1lJlTdTi8oSko9HVKrMCDAadMoQCaSL3YVj3g_MQXLK634AacTCcSDrtSx2w--qZGyvTid7v5kwKo_MrcovqHBF1uIYikGwTSji1L0vdVDImwQqEBtaPbNcCcGyYrH7iEQ-aIVA0qBckpPkqtzLY.-Xl1tsICB6y_aRd5yrfQoJzLhZhfFffeauXxCSbI7y0&dib_tag=se&keywords=brite%2Bseries%2Baquarium%2Blight&qid=1722680884&sprefix=Brite%2Bseries%2B%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-5&th=1

It is a RGB W 4 channel light controlled by bluetooth app.  It gets most of its power from the white channels, you use the color channels to fine tune the color rendering.  It isnt nearly the light that the Chihiros or Week Aqua light is, but a 48 inch long light is  around $70.00…. It is about half the light output of the Chihiros or comparable so again, you might need 2 for coverage on a bigger tank,  but it sure is a nice light for the money… at least so far…. I think it is a good option for a non co2 tank.  It is nicer than the Hygger and Stingray 2s… It utilizes an app that allows you control similar to the Fluval, but it is a bit more glitchy… automatic sunrise, sunset dimming, light diffuser to eliminate shimmer and shadows…

To me it is not nearly as nice as the Chihiros, but, it is really low cost and an excellent value for the money…

image.jpg.1d27ccbc6159513bfa2f62079403bcad.jpg

I have power to spare on this tank.  I run lower light intensity due to no co2 injection…

Edited by Pepere

My 3.0os ok it is quite yellow but that can be reduced if it’s not on full blast the biggest thing is it doesn’t turn back on after a power outage you have to unplug it and plug it back in annoying and just so you know you can get the coop ligh in Canada there’s a seller here they ship Canada wide 

Edited by face

I've used cheap lights, but the Fluval planted 3.0 has done the best for me - took some time to dial in settings that worked and looked good to me, but I really like it. For any light I buy, I make sure I can at least dial the blues down which helps with algae. 

On 8/3/2024 at 2:13 PM, MattyM said:

For any light I buy, I make sure I can at least dial the blues down which helps with algae. 

On my Chihiros I am running Red channel at 90, Green at 70, and Blue at 105. Whites are not running.

I queried other people on Scapecrunch.com forum as to how they set their 4 channel lighting.  All that reported their settings had blue channel running significantly higher than red and green significantly lower than red,

I just have not experienced the need to turn down blues to reduce algae…

Now there is no question that leaving moonlight blues on all night is problematic in terms of Algae, but I havent seen any evidence that turning down your blues relative to your plants photoperiod lighting is needed to reduce algae…. Or to put it another way, running high blues isnt causing algae in my tanks…

• Like 1

Looking at the Chihiros A II now.  Wondering if anyone here has used it, if you like it.  Also odd question about the listings of it on Amazon.  Saying under brand "Meki Acua" is this just a reseller?  Noticed listings under them for Twinstar lights as well.  Assuming this is an actual Chihiros light though

Chihiros A II.png

I have the Hygger 957 and it's a good light. I've only had it since May, but it's been fine. I've used the cheap lights also and they've also been fine. Nearly all decent LED lights are going to have about a 50,000 hour lifespan. Give or take a bit. That's just how long LEDs last. A light with a bad power supply/transformer may not last as long.  Or one with a bad heatsink may die sooner, but by and large you can expect 50,000 hours from pretty much any LED light. I like that the Hygger 957 ramps up and down the light each day. There's no sudden jolt of light in the tank. It just comes on very dimly then gradually builds to a peak before gradually dimming again. The control panel stays somewhat lit all the time though so if you want the room absolutely dark at night, that could be an issue. It's not a blinding light, but it's noticeable.

I am new to plants, and have pretty much no idea what I’m doing, but I love my Aquarium co op light.

Pros:

You can control the “brightness”. It has a switch for blue light mode. It can sit in water for hours. You can adjust the sliders to fit most tank sizes.

Cons:

You can’t control how much red/blue/wight light you have. You have to buy an extra timer. It does not have an app.

thanks so much for all the feedback.  super helpful.  

Just pulled the trigger on the Fluval 3.0.  My CC had a no interest payment plan over 6 months, so makes it a lot easier on the wallet.   I did find the AC light here in Canada, but was pricing out to be about the same as the fluval, and wanted the app control. 

Thanks again...looking forward to having plants not die off on me like they do with my Aqueon light on my 29g.  

On 8/11/2024 at 11:36 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

WeekAqua L series is superior to every light you have listed. There is no comparison. Same price as the 3.0 and will be ten fold better in PAR and color/contrast. 

Over $100 more for that one here in Canada...Way outside my budget...just ordered the 3.0

Nice! 

I just replaced my Fluval Nano with a Chihiros B series. The tank looks so much better than before. 

The fluvals are not bad lights.

Light at full power. Currently, I run the light at 30% brightness. Tank will be getting rescaped as soon as my new plants arrive. 20240813_173959.jpg.85c94976beae0a4c78b947fd2feb7c78.jpg

On 8/15/2024 at 8:13 AM, sairving said:

Nice! 

I just replaced my Fluval Nano with a Chihiros B series. The tank looks so much better than before. 

The fluvals are not bad lights.

Light at full power. Currently, I run the light at 30% brightness. Tank will be getting rescaped as soon as my new plants arrive. 20240813_173959.jpg.85c94976beae0a4c78b947fd2feb7c78.jpg

very nice....the tank looks great.  I was looking at those as well.  chose the fluval for water proof rating as well as it had the 0% interest / pay over 6 months option.  Makes it a little more bearable to spend that $$

On 8/2/2024 at 11:01 PM, Arcticgypsy said:

Hygger 978 ($60 to $80)
Reviews seem good.  Not real fussy on the corded remote.  Also don't like it doesn't hold onto your settings if you lose power. 

This is what I have and your summary pretty much nails it. Relatively cheap, reliable, but settings get messed up if you lose power or if your 4 year old daughter thinks shes being helpful...