DIY Lid Prop for Hinged Glass Lids

Ken

Getting into my 40 breeder with the hinged glass lid is a bother, move the front light, open the lid and either flop it all the way open and hope it doesn't hurt the lights by resting on them or hold it open by hand and feed or whatever one handed. So I made this prop. I just eyeballed the angle of the cut and the overall length to get it to hold open and hold onto the glass. I had to widen the cutout more than the thickness of the lid to get everything to work and the length needed a little fine tuning to not flop back closed or miss the back of the lid. It's held together with superglue gel 'cause it was handy.

lid prop1.jpg

lid prop2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

I was going to suggest the cutting board myself! 

I like how this cants the lid backward just enough, keeping the front open enough with no obstructions hindering maintenance.

If you want to use wood, I don't think it would need any special water proofing. Also, use a hardwood such as oak, maple or other similar species. Don't use pine or fir. The grain is not strong enough to prevent splitting the end out. Observe the direction of the grain along the length and the extra amount beyond the notch. These are important features to prevent split out.

Cool project!

• 10 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 2:37 PM, Ken said:

Getting into my 40 breeder with the hinged glass lid is a bother, move the front light, open the lid and either flop it all the way open and hope it doesn't hurt the lights by resting on them or hold it open by hand and feed or whatever one handed. So I made this prop. I just eyeballed the angle of the cut and the overall length to get it to hold open and hold onto the glass. I had to widen the cutout more than the thickness of the lid to get everything to work and the length needed a little fine tuning to not flop back closed or miss the back of the lid. It's held together with superglue gel 'cause it was handy.

lid prop1.jpg

lid prop2.jpg

This is genius! 😍

That was worried about being annoyed with the same thing. I positioned my handle inwards from the edge of glass so that it cleared my light when pushed back. Then I pushed the handle inwards just a little more to act as a prop for the glass so that the glass did not sit on the light when open. It can be a little hard to open and close with the reduced leverage though.  

16344362187826603820213802795804.jpg

Edited by BF McUmber