Fish tank size

BAT

I agree with other members for the long over the tall aquarium.

On 7/4/2024 at 2:13 PM, Tlindsey said:

I agree with other members for the long over the tall aquarium.

I did once had a 45 column aquarium but kept seahorse and Mandarin goby in it. So wouldn't rule out the tall aquarium out totally depends on the fish.

• Like 3

Depends on how they swim. Most fish swim horizontally. There are a few that just kind of wander everywhere. Thinking mostly of gourami. Slow swimmers and swim everywhere 

• Like 1

Other advantages of shallower tanks are a bigger footprint for planting and hardscaping, more possible territories for fish, where that's applicable, and my favorite reason: it makes it easier to get sufficient light to the substrate to grow plants. Water depth dramatically reduces PAR, but that's less of a concern in shallower tanks.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2024 at 10:24 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Other advantages of shallower tanks are a bigger footprint for planting and hardscaping

More places for large batches of cories to school 

• Like 2

Not many advantages for a tall tank, but there are some. If you want several layers of fish then a taller tank works better. I am planning a 65 gallon - 36x18 inch footprint of 40 breeder but 25 inches tall - with hatchetfish that will stay close to the surface, cardinals that prefer to live in the middle level and cory's to live close to the substrate. 40 breeder has the same footprint but not the depth and amount of water to give the various fishes the room they would like.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2024 at 12:30 AM, CMcDermott said:

Not many advantages for a tall tank, but there are some. If you want several layers of fish then a taller tank works better. I am planning a 65 gallon - 36x18 inch footprint of 40 breeder but 25 inches tall - with hatchetfish that will stay close to the surface, cardinals that prefer to live in the middle level and cory's to live close to the substrate. 40 breeder has the same footprint but not the depth and amount of water to give the various fishes the room they would like.

This is a good point, too.  And another advantage of a tall tank is more water volume for dilution and for parameter stability in a smaller footprint than you'd otherwise need. In @CMcDermott 's example, you'd get 25 more gallons, or half again more water, in the same footprint. I know a lot of us here are crazy enough to have whole rooms of tanks but for most folks, space in your home will be a real concern. So there are absolutely pros and cons to both.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Another thing to think about is maintenance. Low tanks are much easier to clean. Some tall tanks or column tanks are more difficult because your arm is only so long  

I have a column hex. It can be problematic to get to the bottom 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 9:49 AM, Tony s said:

Another thing to think about is maintenance. Low tanks are much easier to clean. Some tall tanks or column tanks are more difficult because your arm is only so long 

that is for sure one issue. a 21" tall tank isnt so bad, but 24" starts to become a bit more difficult.

• Like 1

The biggest footprint we can get is better for swimming space, but unless it's a problem I go for the biggest size tank I can justify and know I will enjoy taking care of.  Deeper tanks have challenges with cleaning planting etc.

• Like 1