What do I need for sponge filter?

So I used to post on this forum a lot a while back about how to make my tank look better and now i am wondering what I would need to replace this hang on back filter with a sponge filter. I go to the local aquarium co op store a lot and I was wondering what I would need from their store to get a sponge filter working. Thanks so much!

fishtank4.jpg

Posted (edited)

Sponge filter (of course). Air pump to power sponge. Airline tubing to connect. Check valve so it doesn’t siphon back into the pump. And an inline valve to adjust the airflow. Set your pump up with a drip loop and you’re good to go. You could even check out coops new sponge filter with the easy flow tube. Gives you a small amount of horizontal flow.

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 5

On 5/28/2024 at 8:12 AM, Tony s said:

You could even check out coops new sponge filter with the easy flow tube. Gives you a small amount of horizontal flow.

I second this. It not only gives a bit of flow but it is much more quiet than without the new outflow tube.

• Like 1

When you get your sponge filter, don't remove your HOB right away. 

It would be helpful if you leave your HOB on your tank for a bit, so that your sponge filter can become seasoned before you get rid of the beneficial bacteria that your HOB has. 

• Like 3

Based on your image, you don't even really need the sponge filter. The plants can easily eat the waste of a few tetras.
Some air would be nice for water circulation and looks.
If you feel you need a sponge filter, I would get the small nano-sized one. Easier to hide behind something.

That sounds good however my guppy got stuck in the filter for around 30 minutes and luckily I realized and got him out. I also see the shrimp climbing on the filter and I don't want the shrimp to get stuck in there.

On 5/28/2024 at 12:26 PM, Nikhil said:

That sounds good however my guppy got stuck in the filter for around 30 minutes and luckily I realized and got him out. I also see the shrimp climbing on the filter and I don't want the shrimp to get stuck in there.

They won't get stuck. I got a billion shrimps and platy fry in my tank and they're fine with the sponge filter. Once the filter is on with airflow they won't be able to swim down in it 

• Like 1

Fry can get stuck in the coarse sponge itself. I have had that happen multiple times with molly and platy fry. I have lost quite a few to it. If you have lots of fry, a finer sponge is a safer bet, though I don't believe the Co-op sells a sponge filter with finer sponge material.

On 5/28/2024 at 3:40 PM, Nikhil said:

I meant that that it got stuck in the hang on back filter

you can get a prefilter sponge. it goes on the intake tube of your hob. it prevents fry from being sucked up, combines the best parts of a hob with a sponge. sponges are great for multiple tanks running off of one air pump. but they never seem to clean the water as good as a hob. i run this setup with my platy only tank

• Like 1

Hob is almost always better than a sponge filter if you ask me. Also much better looking aesthetically.

If you want to cover that filter look, you should use a black background. Buying a sponge filter won’t do any benefit really for that one

• Like 1

oki but do you guys have any ideas for how to stop my fish/shrimp from going into the filter. I also love the shrimp going to the filter and like munching there but its hard to see, any ideas on how to make it more accessible for them but still being able to see easier.

On 5/28/2024 at 3:12 PM, Nikhil said:

oki but do you guys have any ideas for how to stop my fish/shrimp from going into the filter.

Get a pre filter sponge for your HOB. Fry and shrimp then can’t get sucked up into the filter, and you essentially then have a sponge filter AND your HOB. Best of both worlds. 

• Like 1