Tanks in bedroom

So I currently have a 15gal in my bedroom and am soon to add a 90gal. I was wondering is it weird to have tanks in a bedroom? I have the space and stuff and I don’t really mind the noise just wondering what people thoughts are. Also, what’s the biggest tank you guys have it your bedroom? Thanks

I used to have a 75 gallon in my bedroom.  It was nice to have my fish in an area I already was in, and allowed me to see them more often. But, the noise eventually got to me and I moved the tank into the living room. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/13/2024 at 10:45 PM, AdamS said:

I used to have a 75 gallon in my bedroom.  It was nice to have my fish in an area I already was in, and allowed me to see them more often. But, the noise eventually got to me and I moved the tank into the living room. 

Fair enough. Luckily the noise doesn’t bother me too much and it’s kinda just in the background now as I’ve got used to it

• Like 1

I have two tanks in my bed room and I love it! 😄 Largest tank I have in my room is a twenty-nine gallon. The only thing is that ninety gallons is a lot of water and weight if you have it on a second story floor I would be careful there are threads discussing having a tank of this size on second story and good support options. If not on a second story it should be stable on first floor still be careful its lots of water.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2024 at 10:55 PM, JE47 said:

I have two tanks in my bed room and I love it! 😄 Largest tank I have in my room is a twenty-nine gallon. The only thing is that ninety gallons is a lot of water and weight if you have it on a second story floor I would be careful there are threads discussing having a tank of this size on second story and good support options. If not on a second story it should be stable on first floor still be careful its lots of water.

Yep I’ve already looking into all of that and gonna place perpendicular to joists and my house is relatively new anyways so structurally sound. Appreciate the concern 🙂

• Like 2

I have 3 tanks in my bedroom, and they are my favorite. I have a chance to wake up and see my fish and interact with them every morning. I love it. HOB filters are extremely quiet too.

That being said, for me, the biggest and maybe the only issue I have is moisture levels. If you use a lid, it shouldn't be a big problem but my big tank has no lid and it is only 160 liters. So that's problematic. My recommendation would be finding a suitable lid for such big tank if there is none

• Like 1

I have a betta tank in my bedroom and honestly I love it. I think it’s a good, low stress place for the fish too since there’s usually not much action going on in a bedroom.

The sponge filter is quiet but it adds a touch of white noise at night, so I honestly find it helps me sleep. When I’m not at home I don’t sleep as good😂😂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/13/2024 at 5:38 PM, Cjbear087 said:

So I currently have a 15gal in my bedroom and am soon to add a 90gal. I was wondering is it weird to have tanks in a bedroom? I have the space and stuff and I don’t really mind the noise just wondering what people thoughts are. Also, what’s the biggest tank you guys have it your bedroom? Thanks

Growing up I had a 20, a 10, and a 5 gallon tank 

• Like 2

10g, 20g inside. 75g just outside in the hallway. all on the second floor. the 75 is on the center load bearing wall though. and yes, our favorites are in that tank

On 5/13/2024 at 6:12 PM, Lennie said:

maybe the only issue I have is moisture levels

In summer that's a definite issue, makes it harder to cool down. In winter it works in reverse. It feels warmer and things are not bone dry all the time. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 1:16 AM, Tony s said:

In summer that's a definite issue, makes it harder to cool down. In winter it works in reverse. It feels warmer and things are not bone dry all the time. 

I already live in a region that is by the sea, so the extra moisture is quite problematic during winter too. And tanks are an addition to it regardless of the season. Since its cold during winter, I cannot open the window frequently. The tank temps are stable all year long anyway, so there is not extreme differences when it comes to evaporation in my case

During winter, even my windows are covered in water drops sometimes. I even consider buying dehumidifiers as you can set them to a certain level you wanna keep your room at

I cant get a lid because my wood piece goes above the tank level

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 6:31 PM, Lennie said:

During winter, even my windows are covered in water drops sometimes

Yeah, mine too, but reverse reasons. average temps in January is 20. so warm air meeting cold glass causes condensation. without the tanks in the house and the furnace running constantly. the air is dry enough to cause skin problems. add that to being outside mostly, and i end up with cracked skin on my hands. so very much appreciate the humidity in the winter

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have my current 55im my bedroom and used to have a 110 in the same spot it’s good imo I get to spend my time watching the tank and to me that’s the point thing to watch out for are (most of these have already been mentioned but o well lol) noise I’ve gone through great pain to make my tank completely silent it takes a long time and a lot of fiddling but it is Moisture I have had a big problem with black mould  a small room. Can get very humid if you’re not careful (it’s also uncomfortable to sleep in high humidity) with that high heat is a problem to my room was always tropical because of the tank so that’s something to keep in mind now I’m keeping fish that like lower temperatures so it helps with both those points 

but all and all I love it I get to wake up to this every morning totally worth it IMG_1365.jpeg.85187b6d644660900c80575b697708a2.jpeg

Edited by face
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 5:38 PM, Cjbear087 said:

I have a 10 gallon on my wooden table and it’s fine, but I am not in there a whole lot, it’s not wierd, it’s cool to be in bed and have a blue light on on your tank and enjoy the scenery. If the light would be on the late. Sometimes I just put a chair in front of the tank and just watch the, for hours……and hours and hours 🤣

On 5/13/2024 at 6:13 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I have a betta tank in my bedroom and honestly I love it. I think it’s a good, low stress place for the fish too since there’s usually not much action going on in a bedroom.

The sponge filter is quiet but it adds a touch of white noise at night, so I honestly find it helps me sleep. When I’m not at home I don’t sleep as good😂😂

Yeah not a active room, thinking about it, that’s the perfect room for fish tanks besides a FISH ROOM lol. 

I have a silentstream hob, no noise at all for me.

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

I have 2, 29 gallon tanks and a 20 high in my bedroom.

The bedroom is 12x 13.  I have atwin bed and a recliner in the corner that allows me to view the tanks and the TV mounted on the wall.  

Other than cooling and bathing I spend all of my time in the house in this bedroom.  Combo living room bedroom for me.  Bedroom is the best insulated room in the house.  i keep the thermostat at 50 degrees for the rest of the house in the winter, but the Bedroom stays a minimum of 70 degrees and sometimes up to 73 from heat off the tanks and dehumidifier.  Bedroom isonly room I run AC in during the summer.  Energy consumption savings from only conditioning this room offsets the electricity cost for the tanks…

I run air driven ugf plates and canister filters.  At 58, I never have quiet anymore due to tinnitus.   The sound of the bubbling and air pumps is actually more of a relief than having to listen to constant ringing in the ears…

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Our 20 gal long is in the bedroom. Because I am often bedridden, it made the most sense to have it near me. We have a lid and quieted  down the sponge filter and air pump. Additionally, we use a mini water pump in a jar as an additional diy filter. That one makes no noise. The tank is at the perfect height for me to view it from my bed; not so good for visitors standing.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1