Leech in the plastic bag plants came in..

yassy

Today, I got plants and plants were wrapped  in newspaper and tied with plants weight with rubber band and all the plants were in heat sealed plastic bag. This one is from well known plant place and never had anything other than hitchhiker snail but today, leech was in the bag.

I dipped in bleach ;1 gallon water mixed with 5 ml bleach as paper direction says for short 5-1 seconds and then I washed under running water and then now I have plants floating in plastic tote/bin in the water mixed with prime.

Can I quarantine these plants to make sure all are leech free in the plastic tub/tote?

Aquarium co-op Face book page people said I can, with  tank light and squeeze the filter for beneficial bacteria (but I do not want leech egg or anything get to the good filter sponge when squeezing, I maybe can do squeeze filter in the tank water and add tank water.

My questions are, airstone is necessary to keep plants not going to melt and grow? For quarantine plants in the buckets or whatever, cycled environment needed? I need to add stability too? Also, how often do I need to do the water change?

Would you tell me what you would do if you find leech in your plant order step by step?

I just do not want leech egg stuck to plants and put those into the tank I was going to re-scaping...

Thank you.

bug came with  plants 112020_Moment.jpg

I had this happen! I set up a 10 gallon tank and dumped an entire package of dog dewormer and general cure in to kill them off. I then let it sit in there for three weeks. After that I moved the plants into their new tank. A few months later I was cleaning the tank out for a new project and...

To make a long story a bit longer, I still have them in this tank. It’s now in my garage. The type I have eat worms and snails... they look just like that one you show in the pic when small... under two inches. 🤯😱 no🤥

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Preston John said:

I had this happen! I set up a 10 gallon tank and dumped an entire package of dog dewormer and general cure in to kill them off. I then let it sit in there for three weeks. After that I moved the plants into their new tank. A few months later I was cleaning the tank out for a new project and...

WHOA! That would almost make me give up the hobby. That clip is what scary movies are made of.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Preston John said:

I just uploaded a video where you can see the leech:)

Wow.... Thank you. I opened up the 10 gallon cycled tank for plants to quarantine and so far, I see no bugs coming out of it but we will see. I will keep it there one month and see what happens. Seller said I could quarantine plants with light and also saw copy paste plants dipping with bleach;1 gallon water 5 ml bleach for snail into their e-mail.

I usually do the dipping and this time, I washed plants under running water and then put into treated water so hopefully, it made gone if anything else came with that leech. Hope I did not get leech egg on plants..

By the way, what are the white living thing around on mystery snail in the video?

Thank you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yassy said:

Wow.... Thank you. I opened up the 10 gallon cycled tank for plants to quarantine and so far, I see no bugs coming out of it but we will see. I will keep it there one month and see what happens. Seller said I could quarantine plants with light and also saw copy paste plants dipping with bleach;1 gallon water 5 ml bleach for snail into their e-mail.

I usually do the dipping and this time, I washed plants under running water and then put into treated water so hopefully, it made gone if anything else came with that leech. Hope I did not get leech egg on plants..

By the way, what are the white living thing around on mystery snail in the video?

Thank you.

Those are scuds. I’ve tested the leeches with all kinds of things. They don’t seem to eat the scuds at all. Also don’t seem to eat cherry shrimp. They do eat planaria like they are candy.