My new shrimp tank might be leaking

I went to do my first water change and trim a few stems in my two week old Neocaridina shrimp tank this morning when I discovered a small puddle on the stand next to the rim. I could find nothing that maybe have made a splash or any equipment that may have squirted any water out. There's no lid, but the biggest animal is a neo shrimp, and there is only a sponge filter (with a check valve).

I took about half of the ten gallons out, gently lifted the tank, and Mrs. Goldfish slid some 2x4s under the rim.

20240324_124413.jpg.55b2b8b9412b7ef6dcd182f623928f38.jpg

I added enough water back (the same water; one complication at a time) to cover the filter, the heater, the plants, and the hardscape, and now I'm waiting to see if the 2x4s become wet.

Ugh.

On 3/24/2024 at 1:18 PM, DaveO said:

I've had this happen to me in the past. Turned out to be bubbles from the sponge filter splashing on the airline tubing. It will wick its way out of the tank.

I hope you're right! The air pump powering the sponge filter seemed slightly out of place, so maybe that's it. I've had this tank for about 15 years but never actually used it or filled it with water until September 2021, so maybe that ages the silicone? I guess we'll find out.

Nope, the front 2x4 is wet, so the only reasonable conclusion I have is that it's leaking.

20240324_141752.jpg.e1e73bd922877ce0ee77d316ff8ce77c.jpg

Off to the store to get a 10 gallon tank, and spend the rest of the day tearing down and redoing the tank. Hopefully the shrimp aren't too bothered!

• Sad 1

On 3/24/2024 at 2:19 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Nope, the front 2x4 is wet, so the only reasonable conclusion I have is that it's leaking.

20240324_141752.jpg.e1e73bd922877ce0ee77d316ff8ce77c.jpg

Off to the store to get a 10 gallon tank, and spend the rest of the day tearing down and redoing the tank. Hopefully the shrimp aren't too bothered!

That stinks @Rube_Goldfish, never fun….sorry and the shrimp should be fine as long as the tank is cycled or you do the fish in cycle.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2024 at 2:21 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

That stinks @Rube_Goldfish, never fun….sorry and the shrimp should be fine as long as the tank is cycled or you do the fish in cycle.

Thanks. Everything but the glass will be the same, and I've some buckets and totes to keep everything wet, so hopefully the cycle isn't affected. I'm more worried about catching out all the shrimp, and hoping I don't squish any while uprooting plants and jostling hardscape. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Yeah, your silicone has probably deteriorated after 15 yrs. Good news, after getting your shrimp moved. You can strip and reseal this one. Then you could use it for a different color. Pumpkin or blue dream

• Like 1

Okay, I forgot to take a picture, but I've got a moment. The new tank is in place, substrate/hardscape/plants all moved, and the filter and heater reinstalled.

I had six adult shrimp in the tank, and caught all six. I didn't see any shrimplets, but then again, the adults had only been in the tank for fifteen days, and I haven't yet seen any molts or berried females, so I really wasn't expecting to see any babies.

The shrimp spent most of the afternoon in a measuring cup with some moss and a couple red root floaters, and now that cup is hanging in the tank, temperature acclimating.

So it's not how I wanted or expected to spend my day, but everyone survived (including me!) so I'll take what I can get.

• Like 2

Just to put a bow on this saga, after temperature acclimating in the measuring cup, I cut a test strip in half and measured the cup and the tank (just in case; it ended up being essentially a 50% water change, and these shrimp have only been with me for two weeks!). They matched perfectly, and I released them into the tank.

This morning I saw some of them munching away and am assuming the rest are doing so out of view.

My new scape is similar to but not exactly the same as the old one, so I'll need some more foreground plants, I think, but all in all, it could have gone a lot worse.

Thanks for the advice and well-wishes!

20240325_090353.jpg.fb931fabbe57c5bc30a4fcb942132fb1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 3/25/2024 at 8:09 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Just to put a bow on this saga, after temperature acclimating in the measuring cup, I cut a test strip in half and measured the cup and the tank (just in case; it ended up being essentially a 50% water change, and these shrimp have only been with me for two weeks!). They matched perfectly, and I released them into the tank.

This morning I saw some of them munching away and am assuming the rest are doing so out of view.

My new scape is similar to but not exactly the same as the old one, so I'll need some more foreground plants, I think, but all in all, it could have gone a lot worse.

Thanks for the advice and well-wishes!

20240325_090353.jpg.fb931fabbe57c5bc30a4fcb942132fb1.jpg

looks good. a direct swap over is usually painless as long as you get the temps close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1