Whitecloud09’s 10 gallon planted aquarium journal

Ugh, my nerite snail panicked yesterday when i switched around my decor, to make more room for my WCMMs, he woke up when i moved something close to him and he starting going to the water line, and starting going out of the water. Idk if it is good for him or not to be above the water line so i picked up (or off) of the glass and put him on the gravel. I thought he would just sit there from stress but he got on the glass and a hour later was still on the glass underwater, so he is fine thank goodness. Is this a bad thing @Guupy42, i got a lid but there is a gap between the lid and the water. Because my hob. He is fine now though. Anyway i will share pics of the tank soon. On pc, cannot now, but i switched everything around. Update 🙂

That is very fine. My nerite goes above the water all the time. I’m not sure why they do it, but they do. Sometimes mine will even hang out on the lid! I don’t worry about him when doing water changes because even if he’s above the water level, he usually climbs right back down to the water on his own. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 1:52 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

That is very fine. My nerite goes above the water all the time. I’m not sure why they do it, but they do. Sometimes mine will even hang out on the lid! I don’t worry about him when doing water changes because even if he’s above the water level, he usually climbs right back down to the water on his own. 

Whew, thank you @EricksonAquatics. I feel so much better. thx!!!

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 12:36 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Ugh, my nerite snail panicked yesterday when i switched around my decor, to make more room for my WCMMs, he woke up when i moved something close to him and he starting going to the water line, and starting going out of the water. Idk if it is good for him or not to be above the water line so i picked up (or off) of the glass and put him on the gravel. I thought he would just sit there from stress but he got on the glass and a hour later was still on the glass underwater, so he is fine thank goodness. Is this a bad thing @Guupy42, i got a lid but there is a gap between the lid and the water. Because my hob. He is fine now though. Anyway i will share pics of the tank soon. On pc, cannot now, but i switched everything around. Update 🙂

I'm pretty sure that they will go above the waterline regularly.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/nerite-snail-care

In the blog, it says that they will go above the waterline to eat the mineral deposits, and I'm not sure about this, but might come out to get oxygen as well. As long as she isn't trying to escape, it should be fine. And even if she does escape the tank, she likely won't get too far before turning back, because they need water to survive.

I have never seen mine go above the waterline, even after 5 months owning my snail, so @EricksonAquatics probably knows more about it.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2024 at 12:52 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I am thinking of getting one more pearl weed to match the other one on the left side of the tank.

Everything looks great! Rather than buying more pearl weed, just trim what you already have and plant it where you want! You'll have double in no time.

• Like 2

@Whitecloud09  From your pictures, I would cut halfway down the stem and plant on the other side. Depending on how clean the cut will be, you might have floating leaves which you can just net out. You can either use your fingers or a pair of scissors for a cleaner cut. 

Overall its a pretty simple process, but the reward is amazing. I'm currently growing out some pearlweed myself. I started off with 1 stem from my old tank, and I'm sitting at about 10? Ultimately I want the pearlweed to take over that tank, but it'll take time. Just be patient and everything will work out well! 

This trimming concept can also be applied to any other stem plants (guppy grass, pogo, ludwigia, etc.) ! 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2024 at 1:50 PM, maspohno said:

@Whitecloud09  From your pictures, I would cut halfway down the stem and plant on the other side. Depending on how clean the cut will be, you might have floating leaves which you can just net out. You can either use your fingers or a pair of scissors for a cleaner cut. 

Overall its a pretty simple process, but the reward is amazing. I'm currently growing out some pearlweed myself. I started off with 1 stem from my old tank, and I'm sitting at about 10? Ultimately I want the pearlweed to take over that tank, but it'll take time. Just be patient and everything will work out well! 

This trimming concept can also be applied to any other stem plants (guppy grass, pogo, ludwigia, etc.) ! 

Hope this helps!

I did that! I will share pics later, but i cut down vertically. It worked! Planted one on the left, and one on the right! I might add some dwarf hairgrass soon, as i am planning on a plant order from AC soon. Any suggestions for a smaller carpeting plant for some coverage on the gravel? Thank you!

On 7/18/2024 at 8:52 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

I did that! I will share pics later, but i cut down vertically. It worked! Planted one on the left, and one on the right! I might add some dwarf hairgrass soon, as i am planning on a plant order from AC soon. Any suggestions for a smaller carpeting plant for some coverage on the gravel? Thank you!

@Whitecloud09 I tend to stick to the easy side of aquarium keeping. I've given dwarf hairgrass a try multiple times in the last 5 years, and all with no luck in terms of what I wanted. If you wanted a more covered lush look, and plan on not running CO2 + high light, I would personally stay away from hairgrass as they would be very held back from thriving.

In my low tech - low-medium light tanks, I ALWAYS had great success with dwarf sag. Just put in root tabs at initial planting and continue monthly, and the dwarf sag spread like wild fire. You can alter the way these plants grow with how much light you give them; higher light would increase the growth slightly while keeping the dwarf sag low to the substrate (1-2 inches), while lower light settings will have the plant grow taller (3-4 inches) and spread a little slower. Whichever way you decide to grow it, dwarf sag would definitely be a great plant to look into and add to the tank!

• Love 1

They actually have Marimo moss balls in stock!!!!! I have never seen them in stock, since i have HEARD of AC!!! I gotta get one for either my 20, or 10. 

Yes, I have actually had zero luck with dwarf sag, it has died each time. I add 3 pump EG and root tabs every month. No luck higher light, but not too bright, it did produce one runner actually and I placed it in my 20g. We will see what happens! Thank you for warning me about dwarf hairgrass, I  will maybe get more micro sword soon. And perhaps a moss ball! Thanks @maspohno!

On 7/18/2024 at 9:01 AM, maspohno said:

@Whitecloud09 I tend to stick to the easy side of aquarium keeping. I've given dwarf hairgrass a try multiple times in the last 5 years, and all with no luck in terms of what I wanted. If you wanted a more covered lush look, and plan on not running CO2 + high light, I would personally stay away from hairgrass as they would be very held back from thriving.

In my low tech - low-medium light tanks, I ALWAYS had great success with dwarf sag. Just put in root tabs at initial planting and continue monthly, and the dwarf sag spread like wild fire. You can alter the way these plants grow with how much light you give them; higher light would increase the growth slightly while keeping the dwarf sag low to the substrate (1-2 inches), while lower light settings will have the plant grow taller (3-4 inches) and spread a little slower. Whichever way you decide to grow it, dwarf sag would definitely be a great plant to look into and add to the tank!

On 7/18/2024 at 9:06 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

They actually have Marimo moss balls in stock!!!!! I have never seen them in stock, since i have HEARD of AC!!! I gotta get one for either my 20, or 10. 

Yes, I have actually had zero luck with dwarf sag, it has died each time. I add 3 pump EG and root tabs every month. No luck higher light, but not too bright, it did produce one runner actually and I placed it in my 20g. We will see what happens! Thank you for warning me about dwarf hairgrass, I  will maybe get more micro sword soon. And perhaps a moss ball! Thanks @maspohno!

@Whitecloud09 Moss balls are great, and have such a high surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. I definitely would recommend. And for micro swords, I've tried them, but the growth is very slow and they melt back hard. I did have luck having them spread runners out though so it is possible to use it as coverage. But just be prepared to be be patient! The look of the plant is great!

• Love 1

On 7/18/2024 at 9:16 AM, maspohno said:

@Whitecloud09 Moss balls are great, and have such a high surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. I definitely would recommend. And for micro swords, I've tried them, but the growth is very slow and they melt back hard. I did have luck having them spread runners out though so it is possible to use it as coverage. But just be prepared to be be patient! The look of the plant is great!

Yes fun fact i have had micro sword for a year now, just took it out  and they accidentally fell apart.  So I have a lot of experience with this plant. A slower grower but i love it. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 6:29 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Since my snail is a female btw any name suggestions? @Yoshi. @Guupy42. @EricksonAquatics

You can name your snail whatever you want, but I usually name my organisms something that fits with their behavior or appearance.

Olivia might be a good name, because from the pictures, she looks kind of like an Olive Nerite Snail, or at least, Olive colored. Also, it isn't too far from the original name that you gave it, Ozzie, if I remember correctly.

Again, it's up to you what you want to name it. Sarah the snail is also a pretty good name.

• Love 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:06 AM, Guupy42 said:

You can name your snail whatever you want, but I usually name my organisms something that fits with their behavior or appearance.

Olivia might be a good name, because from the pictures, she looks kind of like an Olive Nerite Snail, or at least, Olive colored. Also, it isn't too far from the original name that you gave it, Ozzie, if I remember correctly.

Again, it's up to you what you want to name it. Sarah the snail is also a pretty good name.

Thank you, so Sarah or Olivia? I will think about it! Yes I did name it Ozzie, not knowing if it was a male or female. Thank you guys! @Yoshi. @Guupy42!

• Like 1
  • Love 1