Akron Zoo

I have family in northeast Ohio and whenever we visit we go to the Akron Zoo. They have very few aquatic exhibits, but they door have one of my favorites I’ve ever seen, and Amazon riverbank filled with turtles, rays, Midas cichlids, and parrot cichlids. They also have a rare blue variant lobster that showed up at a local seafood restaurant that they gave to the zoo, and some Silver Fulu Cichlids.

IMG_1269.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 7

You guys have such amazing zoos over there. We live in central Indiana. We visit the big ones yearly. Usually 3-4 hour drive one way for us. Toledo has a one of the best touch tanks I’ve seen. And Columbus and Cincinnati have rescued manatees. Cleveland has one of the best elephant yards I’ve seen. My daughter was exploring zoos since she could walk. I just followed her around. I think I’m trying to create a zoologist here. Or a keeper would be great. Up to her of course. 😁

• Like 3

On 3/2/2024 at 8:11 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

I have family in northeast Ohio and whenever we visit we go to the Akron Zoo. They have very few aquatic exhibits, but they door have one of my favorites I’ve ever seen, and Amazon riverbank filled with turtles, rays, Midas cichlids, and parrot cichlids. They also have a rare blue variant lobster that showed up at a local seafood restaurant that they gave to the zoo, and some Silver Fulu Cichlids.

IMG_1269.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

Wow those are great exhibits. I'm a big fan of Octopus. Thanks for sharing. 

On 3/2/2024 at 8:40 AM, Tony s said:

You guys have such amazing zoos over there. We live in central Indiana. We visit the big ones yearly. Usually 3-4 hour drive one way for us. Toledo has a one of the best touch tanks I’ve seen. And Columbus and Cincinnati have rescued manatees. Cleveland has one of the best elephant yards I’ve seen. My daughter was exploring zoos since she could walk. I just followed her around. I think I’m trying to create a zoologist here. Or a keeper would be great. Up to her of course. 😁

@Tony s thanks for the shout out for the Cleveland Zoo.

Tbh I'm disappointed about the size of our public aquarium. 

On 3/2/2024 at 10:29 AM, Tlindsey said:

But you have one. In our whole state, we don’t. Just a building at Indy zoo and Fort Wayne zoo. But… we do have a pod of dolphins at Indy. 1 of 2 in the entire Midwest 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 7:40 AM, Tony s said:

I think I’m trying to create a zoologist here. Or a keeper would be great. Up to her of course.

Most (nearly all) keepers are zoologists or biologists or have some sort of animal science degree these days.  It’s becoming rare for people to get to a keeper position without having some sort of degree.  Keeper positions are highly sought after with far more applying than there are positions available.  If it does become something she decides she wants, have her volunteer for the zoo in whatever position she can get as soon as she’s old enough and keep volunteering as much as she can.  Even if it’s working concessions or sweeping walkways.  That will get her foot in the door.  But she will still need an appropriate degree to get a keeper position at an accredited zoo.  Some non-accredited zoos are not taking appropriate safety measures for animals or staff, so steer her away from them towards accredited zoos.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 10:45 AM, Odd Duck said:

have her volunteer for the zoo in whatever position she can get

I’m hoping to do just that. But she’s still little right now. Only 8.
Current plan is just keep getting as much exposure as possible. Her favorite animal right now is snakes. Indy had a snake chat when she was younger. She’s been petting them since she could walk. We go to state fair on dnr snake days 😁

• Love 2

On 3/2/2024 at 10:29 AM, Tlindsey said:

@Tony s thanks for the shout out for the Cleveland Zoo.

Years ago our old public aquarium was much larger but your right better than not having one.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 6:41 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

IMG_1269.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

Thanks for sharing it with us. I love it. I am a student, and sometimes due to my work, I feel tired. There are so many things to do in a short period.  EssayRoo https://essayroo.org/ is my lifesaver when it comes to writing essays. Their writers are highly skilled and always deliver top-notch papers on time. I've used their services multiple times and have never been disappointed. Highly recommended! 

Yes, these are so small.

Edited by GiselleChandler

Looking great! I am surprised that they keep parrot chiclids though! I haven't seen those in zoos before.

The closest aquarium we have here, is a "North Sea" aquarium, that displays the cold salt water fish of seas that lie between Great Britain, Denmark, Norway, Germany and the Netherlands. Quite impressive, although, I'd rather see some tropical fish in them!

image.jpeg.2a19160889f02738c1c8d9101891e417.jpeg

• Like 1

I've been to numerous public aquariums. My top 3, in no particular order, and I highly recommend all 3  

Audubon Aquarium - New Orleans

Tennessee Aquarium - Chattanooga

Georgia Aquarium - Atlanta

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

About 147 years ago they had whales in Cincinnati.  It did not end well for the whales or the man who brought them.  'Neptunes revenge'  took him down with the Titanic.  More recently, The Cincinnati Zoo had a small fish exhibit, but I think they gave up on it with the opening of the Newport Aquarium across the river in Kentucky.  It is a great place for the family, but as I remember it, the freshwater offerings are kind of sparse. 

On 3/6/2024 at 11:43 AM, Tanked said:

The Cincinnati Zoo had a small fish exhibit

They still have. With their manatee rescue. One of our 5 memberships. Takes us 3.5 hours to get there. Newport is nice. Been meaning to get back 

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:17 PM, Tony s said:

They still have. With their manatee rescue. One of our 5 memberships. Takes us 3.5 hours to get there. Newport is nice. Been meaning to get back 

I haven't been there in decades. I had been told that by an employee that the smaller aquariums were gone, but the zoo just confirmed that they were still there in the reptile house. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 1:01 PM, Tanked said:

I haven't been there in decades

without kids it's kind of hard to drag yourself back to these places. even if we love them. Fortunately, I have an 8 yr old daughter we adopted. So we go to zoos whenever we can. between gymnastic meets and dance contests. That's why 5 memberships. doesn't cost much to go anymore. 

• Like 1