Do I Need to Bleach an Aquarium

I'm lazy at times, so let me get that out of the way.

About 6 months ago I had a sick fish in a 10 gallon tank and was treating with maracyn. I ended up euthanizing the fish. The lazy part is the tank has been just sitting there and I want to set it up as a quarantine tank. The tank has glass marbles and 2 PVC pipes for hiding spots. I also have a sponge filter. 

Do I need to bleach this tank or rinse it with hot water and scrub it down? The tank does not smell at all so maybe a good rinse and scrub is enough. But if I need to bleach, then I'll bleach. My goal was to clean tonight and set up tomorrow so that I can get fish on Sunday.

Any advice is welcome.

Probably neither. Unless it’s been drained, then you can do whatever you’re comfortable with. If it still has water you may not need to break it down. Depends on the disease, but I have went right back and added fish after an outbreak. The main thing is to fix any parameter problems first. Most basic diseases are usually from improper cycles and fish stress. Not all though. You already treated the tank, so it should be good. But knowing what you had and how it transmits is the first step.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 8:50 AM, JohnNYC said:

I'm lazy at times, so let me get that out of the way.

About 6 months ago I had a sick fish in a 10 gallon tank and was treating with maracyn. I ended up euthanizing the fish. The lazy part is the tank has been just sitting there and I want to set it up as a quarantine tank. The tank has glass marbles and 2 PVC pipes for hiding spots. I also have a sponge filter. 

Do I need to bleach this tank or rinse it with hot water and scrub it down? The tank does not smell at all so maybe a good rinse and scrub is enough. But if I need to bleach, then I'll bleach. My goal was to clean tonight and set up tomorrow so that I can get fish on Sunday.

Any advice is welcome.

You would be better having the tank setup and cycled for the fish you want to buy.  I would wait for that so that you don't stress your new pet more than they will already be.

@JohnNYC having allowed the tank to sit for 6 months without a fish host whatever attacked your previous fish may have already died off.  Not knowing what attacked your fish there may still be a risk.

Bleach is harsh and hard to rinse and properly neutralize.

My recommendation is use hydrogen peroxide bought for $1 at any grocery instead of bleach. It breaks down to just water and is just as affective as bleach against pathogens and parasites.

After you are done if you can move some plants, decor, substrate a piece of media or sponge over from a cycled tank. 

test daily or more  since it’s mostly an uncycled Qt tank. 

• Like 5

The fish that was sick had an injury on its side and started bloating and pineconing. I moved it to the hospital/quarantine tank and tried treating him with Maracyn. I honestly think I should have euthanized him sooner based on what I’ve read about his condition. 

The tank has had water in it but no fish since then. 

My plan for the quarantine tank, once cleaned, is to put glass marbles, sponge filter, heater and a couple of pvc pipe/caves. I will dechlorinate the water and had a fresh bottle of One and Only nitrifying bacteria. I will test every day for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and do a water change if needed. Otherwise I’ll do weekly water changes. I’m leaving them in there for a month.

I am going away for 5 days on the 24th. So I’ll have 3 weeks to feed/observe them before going away. Then move them to the main tank after I get back. If more experienced people think that is chancy to leave them unattended after 3 weeks then I could do a fishless cycle and get the fish when I get back. 

• Like 1

If you're only gone for a week, you're probably good. fish are not going to starve in that time frame. but... id make sure you have a fully cycled tank before leaving them there. otherwise you could have ammonia and nitrite spike while you're gone. probably best for fishless then

• Like 1

You should run the spongefilter in your main tank until you get the fish. Then move it over to the quarantine tank, It will seed with the bacteria and start your cycle off a lot faster than any of the bottles.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 11:28 AM, JohnNYC said:

I am going away for 5 days

Yeah, they will be fine. and much better than having somebody else take care of them. I once had my god daughters attempt that. god love em, but come back to tanks that were on the verge of complete collapse. a week to ten 10 days away at a time is fine

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 11:28 AM, JohnNYC said:

The fish that was sick had an injury on its side

If it was just an injured fish and not a disease or parasite I would just vacuum water change and ghost feed.  Maybe another water change after testing.  

I would not even think of tearing it apart for just an Injuries death. As a matter of fact I’ve left tanks sit empty other than some plants for months. There is still enough microfauna producing waste to keep some bacteria alive that will multiply rapidly. 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 12:51 PM, Guppysnail said:

If it was just an injured fish and not a disease or parasite I would just vacuum water change and ghost feed.  Maybe another water change after testing.  

I would not even think of tearing it apart for just an Injuries death. As a matter of fact I’ve left tanks sit empty other than some plants for months. There is still enough microfauna producing waste to keep some bacteria alive that will multiply rapidly. 

@JohnNYC I agree with everyone but if any fish was infected by Columnaris definitely would use bleach.

Edited by Tlindsey
Miss spelling
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:47 PM, Tlindsey said:

@JohnNYC I agree with everyone but if any fish was infected by Columnaris definitely would use bleach.

I am pretty sure it wasn’t columnaris based on pictures I looked up. 

On 3/1/2024 at 3:03 PM, JohnNYC said:

I am pretty sure it wasn’t columnaris based on pictures I looked up. 

No about your fish just for anyone not knowing about that contagious disease. 

• Like 1