Inkbird wifi vs no wifi

pcc

Hi inkbird users, 

Do you use the non wifi controller or the wifi controller?  Is the wifi unit worth the cost and does the app for it work with multiple inkbird controllers? Thanks for the advice!

On 2/13/2024 at 8:11 PM, pcc said:

Hi inkbird users, 

Do you use the non wifi controller or the wifi controller?  Is the wifi unit worth the cost and does the app for it work with multiple inkbird controllers? Thanks for the advice!

WiFi version is my pick. Can set the temperature range with higher resolution than the non WiFi versions.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:46 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@Pepere can probably help you out. 

Not so much…I use the non wifi version.  It controls the temperature which is all I really want it to do…. I cant really speak to the benefits of a wifi enabled one.

• Like 1

I’m currently running 16 of the non Wi-Fi inkbirds on my display tanks. I have never found a need for more than what the non Wi-Fi ones can do. 
They set to a 1 degree differential.  The can manually calibrate .1 degree at a time.  To me the extras of Wi-Fi are more unneeded things that can go wrong. 

• Like 2

I've only had the wifi one, and I only have a single unit controlling both heaters in my 100g. 

It is easier to setup using the app, vs using the buttons on the unit. It will also send you alerts when your temp goes outside your specified parameters, and when the heaters are constantly running for over a period of time that you can set, or if one of the probes stops working. The app will also show you a graph of your temperature trends, and also allows you to turn the unit on/off. I really like it. 

Can the wifi version send you a warning if the water gets cold (heater fails?); if not sounds like a useless gimick.

--

It seems there is at least one version that will raise an alarm but i'm not sure if the alarm is only with the unit or if it will send an alert to your phone.

-

There is at least one model that will send the alert to your phone so that might be useful.

Edited by anewbie

I have both wifi and non-wifi units. The wifi is nice because you can set the temp and other settings right from your phone or tablet, and I found it easier on the app rather than using the controller itself. I can open the app and check on the temps of my tanks from anywhere, as long as my wifi doesn't go out at home. you can set both a high and low temp warning that if the tank reaches those temps it will send you an alert. I can't attest to how it works because I haven't gotten an alert for it. There is also a setting to get an alert if the unit is heating for a set number of hours. I guess deciding which one to buy is whether you like more technology or not. You can set up multiple controllers on the app, I don't know if there is a max, I have two right now. 

I own a ton of non-wifi Inkbird heat controlling devices (a ton might be over the top, but I own probably 20 and have been using them for close to 10 years).  The standard ones most people use in their aquariums.  Some two zone models for reptiles.  Some hard wired ones that I wire to outlets to control my aging/preheating barrels and chicken egg incubators.  A sous vide.  Maybe others.

The one Inkbird device that absolutely STUNK was their 4-probe BBQ thermometer with WiFi.  The hardware is the standard, bulletproof Inkbird quality that I'm used to.  And the WiFi... works, I guess.  But the alarming and temperature settings are impossible to deal with and, frankly, does not work.  Admittedly, this might be more of an app issue, but to my knowledge there's no way around using the app.  For example, I'd set the alarm for 160 and it might finally let me know that it hit temp when it gets to 190.  I don't know if it's a problem with my device or what... but I gave up on it.  I'm not saying that the WiFi aquarium temp controllers are the same, but I just don't see how they could be any better than the non-WiFi version.  Even if you can dial in the temperature more precisely (do you need more tight control than the non-WiFi version offers...?), I would be shocked if the regulation and control is any different, so it's unlikely to actually regulate any more tightly.  To do that you need some sort of PID controller with a heater capable of variable output.  $$$

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1