Another WHAT in the heck is THIS

Sundog

Found this crawling on one of my  aquatic plants, it's about the size.of a shrimp, with a head like a praying mantis......and the tail is split like a silverfish.....

What in the heck is in my shrimp tank now?

PXL_20240214_013333857.jpg

Edited by Sundog
  • Like 1

Actually not. Had to brush up a bit. It’s a damselfly nymph. Much smaller than a dragonfly with the three rear gills. Still will eat your shrimp. Piece by piece if it needs to. Was my actual degree, many, many moons ago.

• Like 5

This looks to be a damselfly nymph. I get them every year because my area is highly populated with them and I remove my screen to run used water hose to my garden.

The female will submerge herself underwater to cut a slit in a plant and deposit eggs.  Often the male can be seen assisting her out of the water when she is done.  

The adolescent stage can last from months to a few years. The time duration is dictated by food availability and temperature. 

They are voracious predators.  Fry, shrimp and small fish and snails are at risk.  

Manual removal is your only option.  These are tough critters. Anything that will kill them will kill tank inhabitants long before they are eradicated.  

They burrow in substrate.  The strain I get always lays 6 eggs.  Other strains lay more.  These can come in on plants as well as be laid in your tank.

They will molt as they grow and develop wing pads until finally emerging from your tank.  The rear split fins are the gills.

Thoroughly vacuuming can reveal them.  Under objects, in sponge filters or mechanical filters are good hides. Until late stage they are ambush predators.

I do night checks with flashlights when I know I have them in a tank. The eyes are crazy reflective.

They are fascinating to watch develop into beautiful adults.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

That you for the tip about the eyes being easy to spot at night. Fortunately it's a small tank, unfortunately it's heavily planted so this may take time to sort out.

I appreciate all the help, lots of baby shrimp in here so hopefully I can find them all quickly.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 7:57 AM, Sundog said:

That you for the tip about the eyes being easy to spot at night. Fortunately it's a small tank, unfortunately it's heavily planted so this may take time to sort out.

I appreciate all the help, lots of baby shrimp in here so hopefully I can find them all quickly.

In a shrimp tank is not the end of the world. If your tank is heavy with shrimp they most likely will not take out you entire population.

I have neocaridina in all my tanks. I always have a 5 gallon shrimp tank near my window and it gets damselfly every year. They have never taken out the entire colony. 
Last year I put Psuedomugil luminatus in there for Qt and that is how I found out I had 6 late stage mature with wingpads.  My shrimp colony had not noticeably declined and that is not a tank I spend time with.  The tiny fish were terrified hiding in a front corner is what alerted me to them.  
If there are small pest snails in the tank the damselfly will go after those first.  Easy meal they don’t have to work at.  
Lift all objects daily.  The underside on things is their preference wood especially.  

• Like 1

That is so awesome! :classic_biggrin:It wouldn't last long in a tank with a large fish! Never seen one in a shrimp tank before, makes sense with nothing to chomp on it...It makes me look forward to doing some fly fishing this summer! :classic_laugh:  The adults can be quite beautiful. 

Screenshot_20240214_163230_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240214_163332_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240214_163723_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240214_163831_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240214_163859_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2