Q for Aquarists with Cats

Rosi

Hello Friends! 

I have a 20 gallon TopFin starter kit. For those of you that don't know me, I have 5 species of plants, a male betta, 2 otos, and 2 nerite snails. 

I plan to eventually get a small school of fish, but that's another topic for another day. 

I need to upgrade my lighting on my tank from the stock lighting hood, which will require me to get a new hood altogether. In addition to my beautiful aquatic babies, I also have three curious cats that love to try to sit atop the fish tank and play with the fish if they're allowed... 😑

My question to you is what tank hood is the best to protect my aquarium inhabitants while also providing enough light to my plants? I must also mention that I have a Fluval T series heater and a HOB Aqua Clear filter. 

Everything I'm finding online is glass and has two sections-a front and a back. Do these work well? I'm not opposed to the glass tops, but it must be strong enough to keep the meows out while also allowing enough space for the heater/HOB filter, and enough light through for my plants. 

Thanks so much for any advice!

❤️❤️❤️Rosi

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 8:32 PM, Rosi said:

Hello Friends! 

I have a 20 gallon TopFin starter kit. For those of you that don't know me, I have 5 species of plants, a male betta, 2 otos, and 2 nerite snails. 

I plan to eventually get a small school of fish, but that's another topic for another day. 

I need to upgrade my lighting on my tank from the stock lighting hood, which will require me to get a new hood altogether. In addition to my beautiful aquatic babies, I also have three curious cats that love to try to sit atop the fish tank and play with the fish if they're allowed... 😑

My question to you is what tank hood is the best to protect my aquarium inhabitants while also providing enough light to my plants? I must also mention that I have a Fluval T series heater and a HOB Aqua Clear filter. 

Everything I'm finding online is glass and has two sections-a front and a back. Do these work well? I'm not opposed to the glass tops, but it must be strong enough to keep the meows out while also allowing enough space for the heater/HOB filter, and enough light through for my plants. 

Thanks so much for any advice!

❤️❤️❤️Rosi

@Rosi glass tops definitely will work. I personally have a cat and caught it on top without issues. Also have a topless aquarium and cat drinks out it lol.

Edited by Tlindsey
Missed information
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2024 at 6:39 PM, Tlindsey said:

@Rosi glass tops definitely will work. I personally have a have and caught it on top without issues. Also have a topless aquarium and cat drinks out it lol.

@Tlindsey Thank you! Does the glass top have holes in it for the equipment to go through? (Wires and HOBF) Were there any modifications that you needed to make? Do you have any recommendations on brand?

Also, for your topless tank, do you find cat hair in there? If so, does it bother your fish? I feel like even with a top, I can't seem to keep the hair out. 😂

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 6:44 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Glass top for sure. It will hold the weight definitely! 

@Bigdog99 Thank you so much! Do you have any brand preference? 

On 1/31/2024 at 6:45 PM, lefty o said:

glass tops will hold most cats without an issue.

@lefty oGood point on *most* cats. My cats are all fairly small (no larger than 11 lbs). Thank you so much. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 8:42 PM, Rosi said:

@Tlindsey Thank you! Does the glass top have holes in it for the equipment to go through? (Wires and HOBF) Were there any modifications that you needed to make? Do you have any recommendations on brand?

Also, for your topless tank, do you find cat hair in there? If so, does it bother your fish? I feel like even with a top, I can't seem to keep the hair out. 😂

@Rosi The aquarium tops will come with plastic inserts.

The inserts can be cut to size for the hob filter and wires. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rosi

On 1/31/2024 at 8:46 PM, Rosi said:

@Bigdog99 Thank you so much! Do you have any brand preference? 

@lefty oGood point on *most* cats. My cats are all fairly small (no larger than 11 lbs). Thank you so much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all of the info! I like to know what I'm getting into before I spend my money. Everyone has been extremely helpful. 

I'll definitely check out these products. ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

There might be some options on Amazon out there but I like the stuff from the pet stores personally. @Rosi

On 1/31/2024 at 8:52 PM, Rosi said:

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all of the info! I like to know what I'm getting into before I spend my money. Everyone has been extremely helpful. 

I'll definitely check out these products. ❤️❤️❤️

Your welcome! Glad to help!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can also attest to the ability of glass covers to keep cats out of fish tanks.  I've gone to glass on all of mine.  On my 95 gallon, I wanted to put my HOB filter on the SIDE of the aquarium instead of in back, so I had a piece of glass cut for that side to give room.  HOB filters work just fine with the glass tops with the plastic to use for cutouts so long as you actually hang them on the back.  It's a lot more convenient to feed and clean with the commercial hinged lids than with the solid piece of glass, but they definitely both keep out cats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1