Bolivian Ram, 1x cloudy eye and "itchy"??

xXInkedPhoenixX

On 1/6/2024 at 10:45 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

He seems stressed enough that I chose to leave him in the main tank. I did recently have a black neon die and I have another bloated one (females) which has been an ongoing mystery to me. And though I've tried to treat them, nothing else has worked so far - SO- besides him being stressed I thought it couldn't hurt to treat the whole tank since I haven't tried Ich X yet. That being said I have not added salt to the tank. I did treat with salt (albeit a lower concentration) for quite some time with no changes. If I see any improvement with Punk I will consider removing him and trying salt in QT. 

With that info, treating the whole tank is appropriate.  Obviously skip the high salt dose since it would likely wipe out all your plants.  If you do isolate him, do the salt at that point or do a salt dip at up to 1 tablespoon per liter for up to 30 minutes.  Watch very closely every second and move to normal salt concentration if any distress is seen.  I usually start at 1 teaspoon per liter to see how they respond before going higher on the concentration.

You can make a saturated salt solution by dissolving a set amount of salt into the smallest volume of water possible, tracking the volume of salt and water so you can calculate the amount needed to achieve your goal concentration.  For instance, put your 1 tablespoon salt into 6 tablespoons water.  Yes, this works, just keep stirring, it takes a while to dissolve it all.  The salt will increase your volume of solution but so minimally that it doesn’t matter enough to worry about.  Then use 2 tablespoons of the stock solution into 1 liter of tank water to equal 1 teaspoon salt per liter.  You could slowly drizzle in more until you have full concentration for the salt dip.  Stopping and moving to “normal” salt concentration of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.  I wouldn’t go straight to no salt since that could be more shock / stress than going to a light salt concentration.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

@Odd Duck thanks for your continued support. I never thought the female neons getting bloated were negatively effecting the tank (except when they pass of course) because nobody else seems effected- they just get bloated, really bloated. I figure it's an egg issue since it seems only girls are getting it. I tried high concentration salt soaks and QT but that doesn't help their bloating in any way. Plus the usual med suspects, antibiotics etc. Just not IchX until now.

The Harlequins have had zero issues. I have all 10 from when I got them in 2020.

I'm hoping for a good result of some kind! 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
🙄
  • Like 3

If no changes, then I would monitor at this stage.  May only be scarring by now.  Should have seen at least a tiny difference if it was going to respond to Ich-X. Monitor close and keep us posted.

Oh, and take a pic every other day or so.  That way you can have a comparison.  Sometimes we don’t notice slow, subtle changes when we look at them every day, but gradual changes will be more obvious when we scan across multiple pictures at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, @Odd Duck, @Colu and friends, still stumped. Punk is REALLY good at avoiding putting the "bad side" out when I'm trying to look at him AND when I'm trying to take a picture but his eye only seems to have gotten worse. Though not as cloudy, his eye is now swollen pretty good. I'm concerned that he might even lose it but I'm not even sure what is going on at this point. I have not witnessed him rubbing on anything lately but unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to observe him. As it is the pictures I present here are not bright since by the time I was able to catch pics of his injured eye the tank lights went off. I also have a pic of his uninjured eye which he will always show me. What do you think next course of action is? Maracyn? Just salt? I really don't want to take him out of the tank if I can avoid it, 3 gallon QT can be very stressful. I'm at a loss. Last pic is his good eye. 

image000002(15).jpg.d4eae0f4384e925152a6f437c2694ebd.jpg

image000001(26).jpg.597cd4edb34e0ebc92fe1a67339d2154.jpg

image000000(118).jpg.aed440fcb731844f24d701f4e0bc0af4.jpg

image000000(119).jpg.e5e91a6ffefe6db0bb96decdd63e6878.jpg

• Sad 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:18 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well, @Odd Duck, @Colu and friends, still stumped. Punk is REALLY good at avoiding putting the "bad side" out when I'm trying to look at him AND when I'm trying to take a picture but his eye only seems to have gotten worse. Though not as cloudy, his eye is now swollen pretty good. I'm concerned that he might even lose it but I'm not even sure what is going on at this point. I have not witnessed him rubbing on anything lately but unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to observe him. As it is the pictures I present here are not bright since by the time I was able to catch pics of his injured eye the tank lights went off. I also have a pic of his uninjured eye which he will always show me. What do you think next course of action is? Maracyn? Just salt? I really don't want to take him out of the tank if I can avoid it, 3 gallon QT can be very stressful. I'm at a loss. Last pic is his good eye. 

image000002(15).jpg.d4eae0f4384e925152a6f437c2694ebd.jpg

image000001(26).jpg.597cd4edb34e0ebc92fe1a67339d2154.jpg

image000000(118).jpg.aed440fcb731844f24d701f4e0bc0af4.jpg

image000000(119).jpg.e5e91a6ffefe6db0bb96decdd63e6878.jpg

I would do a course of maracyn2 over maracyn the active ingredient minocycline also has anti-inflammatory properties I would leave a low dose of salt in there you could also add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bolivian rams are social and he is probably presenting his good eye simply because he wants to see you. Please let him know I still think he’s very handsome.

Maybe you can do the IAL tea and raw IAL since they have antifungal and antibacterial properties. Plus they can be used with other meds if you should decide to try any.

Has anyone diagnosed this as popeye yet? Per the chart Maracyn “TWO” is the treatment. But I’m no expert so I’d get a second opinion, of course.

IMG_6972.webp.d51ee2404d0caa855892054c72d615d7.webp

On 11/24/2023 at 6:17 PM, Colu said:

if it start to get worse then I would follow up with a course of maracyn2

On 11/24/2023 at 9:45 PM, Odd Duck said:

exactly on point again.  And Maracyn 2 can be in the water or in the food

On 12/7/2023 at 8:58 PM, Odd Duck said:

think this is appropriate but I would lean towards the Maracyn 2 in food

On 12/7/2023 at 6:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

would recommend the maracyn 2 route

On 2/1/2024 at 9:39 PM, Colu said:

would do a course of maracyn2

Seems we all have the same conclusion @xXInkedPhoenixX?

On 2/1/2024 at 9:39 PM, Colu said:

add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties 

Ha @Colu I think we were typing the same thing at the same time 😄

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea:classic_laugh: ok ok point taken lol! and @Colu seems to agree. Unfortunate part is I don't have Maracyn2 right now but I can't start a course of med until after the weekend as I won't be around for medicating anyway. In the meantime however I've got the meds coming and I've put salt and floated a couple IAL in the tank. To be continued I guess! 

• Like 2

Definitely looking like popeye now and I’m a bit worried that his right eye is looking a little swollen.  For sure, go for the salt and Maracyn-2.  You should probably consider an Epsom salt soak, though.  Same as for others we’ve talked about.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 2 doses of Maracyn 2 there are no changes in fact his damaged eye seems to be more swollen one day and not as much the next. Intrepid partner also spotted a white mark on his other eye. We're not sure what to think about that. Sadly, in the days I've been treating Punk, his female counterpart in the Parent Tank came down with a very fast illness that unfortunately even after QT and meds took her little life. :classic_sad: SIP little girl! 

Here's a couple of pics of Punk's other eye....

image000000(32).jpg

image000000(31).jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Sad 3