Explain RO install like I’m not as smart as a 5 year old

Guppysnail

First off my plumbing skills are less than zero and have proven to cause more damage than help. It’s the only home improvement skill my wonderful husband does not have. 
We are not rich and this economy is rough. 

Second I am not looking to remineralize entire tanks worth  I need roughly 50 gallons or so a week  I’ve been buying distilled 25 gallons / week and mixing with my liquid rock tap  however my new fascination with dwarf cichlids is making that crazy expensive  so I just need to mix with my tap  being able to use more affordably would be great  

Plumbers here are insane  we had to have a faucet replaced and the plumber quoted us $700  

We went with a fly by night kid instead  with something that will potentially spew water non stop Like this RO I would not trust that  

1-can I screw an RO system on a hose when needed then unhook and put away when done?

2-is it worth it to get the DI thingy? Do I need the barrel thing that looks like a propane tank? 

3 is this one any good?

4- if not is there one for 250$ or under that is?

5- how do i install if I cannot hook a hose to it

6- if I can’t screw it in a hose how do these things go in and could the Three Stooges install is safely

7 do I need to install a faucet

8 all the other 800 things I don’t even know to ask please. 

9 how often does that membrane need replaced and roughly how much are they?

10 do I need to bypass my water softener to use this?

11- this will be on a second floor so I cannot do one of those big rain barrel things either  how long does it take to get 1 gallon of water?

@Sarina ???

ok how about this one  hubby wants this one  because we drink it and our cats drink it  my tap is not fit to drink at 25-35 nitrates  🤢

I definitely want a lower waste water one please. 
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith/5014008553

or any of the ones from Lowe’s $300 or less since they will install  

Im happy to fill a few gallon jugs a day and hold them until water change day. No different than the 25 gallons I buy at the store each week 🤯

I think this product might be really helpful to you. It’s a cheap, solid RO system that can be hooked up to a sink during use and then put away when not in use. Unfortunately my little countertop system that I love has been out of stock for quite a while, but you can make the RO buddy pretty much the same by adding one of these fittings and then you can just leave it on your counter and flip the valve when you want to filter. 

It’s a lot easier than you might think to set up an RO system and the RO buddy is a great beginner kit 😊

• Like 1

I hope you can find a good one at Lowe’s  so they will install it for you!

But just in case, I wanted to mention that my daughter has a fifth wheel & it has an RO system. Maybe an RV supply place could help you out? Sorry I don’t know anything else about it.

• Thanks 1

@Guppysnail Okay I think I fixed the links. 

Lowes is going to have mostly household RO systems for drinking water, which will cost a bit more and may require a booster pump, which will add to the complexity and cost. I did fix the links above, I tried to input them while on mobile and I guess it didn't work out very well, whoops. 

Hope these videos help!   

Bulk Reef Supply is probably the best place to get one. Total 100% quality.   

I would start with a 3-stage one, typically these have the RO membrane, sediment stage, carbon stage, then mixed-bed DI resin stage.

RODI is a big topic, but I've had plenty of experience with it and plumbing. If you have any more questions after watching these, please send them my way!

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

I'll also try to tackle these question one at a time .. . 

On 11/4/2023 at 6:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

1-can I screw an RO system on a hose when needed then unhook and put away when done?

They have attachments for both sinks and garden hoses. 

2-is it worth it to get the DI thingy? Do I need the barrel thing that looks like a propane tank? 

Not sure what you mean by propane tank thingy. But the DI is worth it if the RO membrane does not reject enough TDS. DI will reduce your TDS to zero. This all depends on the TDS of the source water and how much the RO membrane can reject on its own. Most RO membranes have like a 90%+ rejection rate I believe (trying to recall the number off the top of my head).

You will need a place to discharge the waste water, like a nearby sink.

how often does that membrane need replaced and roughly how much are they?

I replace mine once every year or two.

Depends. Your water softener will take out the mineral hardness of the water, which means less work for the RODI unit, but it will replace it with sodium ions. So, in the end, it depends on which depletes your DI resin faster (if you're using DI resin). If it's a hassle to bypass it, or if you're not using DI stages, I'd not worry about it.

11- this will be on a second floor so I cannot do one of those big rain barrel things either  how long does it take to get 1 gallon of water?

Depends on the unit and how much water it is rated to create. 

This is a good one. I use it (well a version of it) and have had it for a bunch of years now and it runs great. It's currently on sale at BRS for under $200. It will create up to 75 gallons per day.  --> https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-75gpd-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

ALSO ALSO ALSO -- keep an eye on your water when making it!  I created a ton of floods this way!  (I now have mine hooked up to a timer and solenoid valve cause I'm forgetful, very forgetful)

One more item . . . . 

DI resin can get pricey depending on how fast you exhaust it, but there are ways to recharge it. I've been using the same resin for a couple years now, recharging it with a weak hydrochloric acid solution, as well as a weak sodium hydroxide solution (what you recharge with depends on the resin type). 

It's not hard to do and saves a lot of money over the long haul, if you're not afraid of working with caustic substances.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 12:25 PM, Sarina said:

may require a booster pump

@Guppysnail True. 

Needing a booster depends on the water pressure in your house. RO membranes need a certain, constant pressure to work effectively. So if your water pressure tops out at 40PSI, you'll want a booster.

These run around $100+. They are not super hard to install, but can add to the complexity of the setup, depending a number of factors.

If you need one, I'm more than happy to walk you through how to install and use them, or I can link a number of youtube videos detailing the setup. 

None of this requires a PhD in plumbing!

I learned all this stuff from YouTube (mostly the BRS channel) when I first started using RODI.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there are attachments.

You don't need the DI resin.  I think a membrane-only setup with bring TDS below 25ppm.

You don't need the propane tank.  Just have the "good" water drain to a brute trash can or other container.  The RO system is actually much less efficient when it is fighting to push water into the "propane tank."  🙂

3 is this one any good?

Not sure.

I mentioned this one in another thread ($218.99): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LJ8EXU

https://www.123filter.com/ac/ispring-rcc7ak-uv-deluxe-under-sink-7-stage-reverse-osmosis-drinking-water-filtration-system-with-alkaline-remineralization-and-uv-sterilizer

However, you might be able to find a good one without the tank or faucet (which you don't need).

This simple one seems highly rated (and it comes with adapters, $61.99 for 50GPD, $81.99 for 100GPD): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOG63OY

N/A

6- if I can’t screw it in a hose how do these things go in and could the Three Stooges install is safely

You can screw it into a hose or your utility sink faucet in your garage or basement... 🙂

Nope, just have the "good" drain go to a container.

8. Other issues?

If you need a booster pump, it might make sense to buy a unit that already has one.  That would make things easier.

This video shows a simple setup where the RO unit is connected to the outside spigot and drains into a plastic container: 

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all. This is a lot of information to take in. I know I will have tons of questions but I want to watch and digest these and learn about them more so I can ask more informed questions. 

This forum provides so much support. I’ve tackled new adventures because of the support from this forum I NEVER would have attempted before. 🤗

On 11/4/2023 at 5:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

First off my plumbing skills are less than zero and have proven to cause more damage than help. It’s the only home improvement skill my wonderful husband does not have. 
We are not rich and this economy is rough. 

Second I am not looking to remineralize entire tanks worth  I need roughly 50 gallons or so a week  I’ve been buying distilled 25 gallons / week and mixing with my liquid rock tap  however my new fascination with dwarf cichlids is making that crazy expensive  so I just need to mix with my tap  being able to use more affordably would be great  

Plumbers here are insane  we had to have a faucet replaced and the plumber quoted us $700  

We went with a fly by night kid instead  with something that will potentially spew water non stop Like this RO I would not trust that  

3 is this one any good?

8 all the other 800 things I don’t even know to ask please. 

9 how often does that membrane need replaced and roughly how much are they?

@Sarina ???

ok how about this one  hubby wants this one  because we drink it and our cats drink it  my tap is not fit to drink at 25-35 nitrates  🤢

I definitely want a lower waste water one please. 
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith/5014008553

or any of the ones from Lowe’s $300 or less since they will install  

Im happy to fill a few gallon jugs a day and hold them until water change day. No different than the 25 gallons I buy at the store each week 🤯

You can hook them up to the sink but it depends on the fitting your sink have; you can also hook them up under a sink again it depends on the fitting under the sink. For the output you can have the output go into a 30 gallon pail (or similar) and then use a pump to pump the water out of the pail or siphon it out. Just remember that 30 gallon of water weight around 250 lb; if you want auto shut off you can use a float switch and if you put a lid on the pail dust won't get into it (you can put a little hole near the top for the tubing in and the float switch); bulk reef is fairly helpful and they have a lot of video - for high efficiency but low volume unit this would be a recommended model:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75gpd-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html?queryID=ea324875ec3ba70f69cafad04a8ed27c&objectID=6241&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

If you want one with less waste 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-150gpd-plus-water-saver-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html?queryID=c383253cd4a4ac217dc6c89cf0069da3&objectID=6243&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

Buying via home depot or lowes might make it easier to get it installed but those units will be mostly targeted for drinking water.

-

The number of stages depend a bit on what type of tap water you have and what you want to accomplish (soften the water or produce water for salt water or black water aquarium). 

-

You can email bulk reef or call them and their support is pretty good at discussing what they have and what you will need to hook it up.

As far as i can tell aquarium-cop does not sell ro unit.

btw amazon has a bunch of less expensive units and there is nothing wrong with them but your support might be better with bulk-reef.

My hookup is a little more sophisticated - i have a 200 gpd unit that fills a 500 gallon container in the basement and then uses well pump that pumps it through pipes to the upstair where i can use it with my aquariums - turn the faucet on - pressure drops and the well pump comes on. Close the faucet - pressure rises and the well pump goes off.

----

*** those little 'barrel' like things are called bladder tanks; they are self presurizing but dont' hold much water and you don't need them in most cases - the way they are designed is they hold a little water and have air at the top of them in a bladder as they fill the the pressure increases then that pressure can be used to have the water flow out of them; the bladder do wear out relatively fast in the long scheme of things and then they have to be replaced - but they are kind of neat for what they are - the biggest problem is volume - the air takes a lot of space so the amount of water is relatively small for the size of the tank **.

Edited by anewbie
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:46 PM, anewbie said:

My hookup is a little more sophisticated - i have a 200 gpd unit that fills a 500 gallon container in the basement and then uses well pump that pumps it through pipes to the upstair where i can use it with my aquariums - turn the faucet on - pressure drops and the well pump comes on. Close the faucet - pressure rises and the well pump goes off.

@anewbie Sweet! I do something similar, but I use a Kasa plug to trigger the pump to send water up a story in my house. I have mine plumbed directly into my aquarium (I only have one display tank in the house so I figured why not just go directly in), but I do really like the idea of triggering the pump via pressure changes. Do you have this wired up to something like a square D pressure switch?

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:09 PM, tolstoy21 said:

@anewbie Sweet! I do something similar, but I use a Kasa plug to trigger the pump to send water up a story in my house. I have mine plumbed directly into my aquarium (I only have one display tank in the house so I figured why not just go directly in), but I do really like the idea of triggering the pump via pressure changes. Do you have this wired up to something like a square D pressure switch?

No switches required for a well pump - it is plug and played; the pump i have does have a switch where you can set the max pressure to run at - i have it around 40-50 psi which is the lower range. In the room upstair (office)  i have a 450 and 550 on drip systems they have pressure adjusting thingy to standard faucet that then go to drippers that go into the aquarium - i have a flow thingy to measure the flow in the loop to ensure proper flow into the tank (approx 2gph; currently it is setup 50% ro and 50% tap so tds 60 in). I have a faucet next to my blackwater tank and one under the sink in the bathroom on the other side of the room so i can do manual water changes on my blackwater aquarium (~120 gallons) and ~180 gallons - i was using filtered tap for the 180 but today switched it over to ro since the cupido would prefer softer water - my full setup is this:

house water -> temp control valve -> carbon block 1 -> valve -> carbon block 2 -> pipes for 'tap water' and -> ro unit -> 500 gallon tank -> well pump -> pipes so i have two set of pipes in parallel into three rooms - upstair office iwth 3 big tank - room next to machine room 'fishroom' that has some odd and end aquariums and top floor bedroom where i keep my bedroom aquarium.

-

Love that well pump but i suppose one day something will go horribly wrong and then i will hate it 😉

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:16 PM, anewbie said:

Love that well pump but i suppose one day something will go horribly wrong and then i will hate it

Same fear for me with my auto water change systems. A year ago, I installed flood sensors wired to a solenoid in line with the plumbing feeding my system. This way if any water starts hitting the floor, the solenoid closes, alarms and stops the flow until I reset it.

I put the sensors in spots that collect water first. How do I know about these spots? Hmmm, I wonder?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:19 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Are you referring to something like this?  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-buddie-rodi-booster-pump-aquatic-life.html

If so, I considered that a number of times. Very cool and helpful device.

No, but I think it's made by the same company.  I just have this simple 100 GPD RO unit: https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Reverse-Osmosis-50-Gallon/dp/B00DOG64FM

Edited by jwcarlson

@Guppysnail On the RO Buddie (and maybe others, I'd guess).  All of the connections are 1/4" push to connect for 1/4" tubing.  Worse can you can probably go to a place like Ace Hardware or a local place and explain what you need and someone will be able to get you the adaptors you require.  That's what I did when we tore out and replaced our shower.  I bought adaptors for a faucet and hooked up a shower wand and could take "showers" standing in a plastic tub.  😄  It worked, but I have not clue what all the threads are on that stuff, so asking for help is a good plan!

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 8:29 PM, jwcarlson said:

All of the connections are 1/4" push to connect for 1/4" tubing.

Amazon is the best place to shop for 1/4" push-to-connect fittings (often called John Guest type fittings). Home Depot and Lowes carry them, but they charge an arm and a leg per fitting. BRS has good pricing on the tubing, as does Amazon. All RO units I have seen use 1/4" tubing and fittings. They make 1/4" adapters to step these up to other sizes, and to connect them to sinks or hose bibs.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2

HD/Lowes have some wild pricing sometimes.  For something like this buying one or two of something, it's OK.  But if you start talking about multiples, it doesn't usually make sense.  We have a farm store in town and if you needs lots of hardware like longer bolts, big lag screws, etc it is almost like they're giving them away compared to the big box stores.  The farm store sells them by the pound, so you can go get a big bag of lag screws for whatever you're doing and it will be like $3 for what would be $30 from HD.  

• Like 1

So while watching these videos my hubby started asking questions. 

When he realized I meant to do this myself now feeling confident from all your support the phrase “oh xxxx No you will not, a plumber will install this with no chance of leaks or overflows or it’s not happening” was emphatically stated. My plumbing track record being the cause. Many reminders of my past misadventures were reminded. 🤪

We are splitting this between my fish budget and household budget now since it’s also for human and other pet consumption. 

We looked at them together and we think this one sounds good. That coming from 2 people who know nothing about them. 

I have no problem filling a few jugs a day until I have enough for what I need or splitting the water changes to 2 days etc. 

Are we on the right track in thinking this one is ok? 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/APEC-Water-High-Output-Fast-Flow-90-GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-Drinking-Water-System-ULTIMATE-RO-Hi/1002824222

image.jpg

image.jpg

My advice would be to just use the outside spigot and a Brute trash can.  You'll get much more efficiency and it will be easier and cheaper.

However, if you want it for other reasons, including having the tap on your sink, a plumber is not a bad idea. 🙂

Just remember, with that pressurized container, you are look at up to 96% waste water (depending on how you use it).

• Like 2

@Guppysnail unless money grows on trees at your house, I truly feel like you're tossing money down the drain for what you want/need.  The tank is not necessary for what you want, that is more for drinking water.  Additionally, that creates back pressure that needs to be overcome (unless I am mistaken) which means it will be less efficient.

For $100 RO unit and a $30 Brute trash can you could be making RO water from a utility sink in... An hour.  Maybe less.  It's probably a grand to have someone else do it.