Sometimes I Wonder…

Vicki

Do you ever have thoughts that are just kind of random and you’d kind of like to get them out of your head? Things that you sometimes wonder about? They can be related to fish or not related to fish. And maybe you wonder about something that someone actually knows the answer to! Anyway, share your wonderings, or your wanderings! Let’s see what comes out!

I’ll start. This is my wonder… sometimes I wonder, as I read others’ posts, whether or not I’m actually still smart enough to have an aquarium. I feel like I’m getting so much wrong, I wonder if I’m actually cut out for GH and KH and Iron and CO2 and testing the water for all these things to make plants grow. I have no idea how many things I’m supposed to be tracking and if I did know, I’d have no idea how they played in with one another. I could look it up but I’d forget what I read by tomorrow. I’m doing good to feed the fish, get their water changed, plant plants, plant their vitamin seeds, pump in their vitamin juice, pull out the dead ones, trim back the overgrown ones, and vacuum up all the cr… detritus and algae that accumulates EVERYWHERE, then do it all again the next day.  I used to be smart and could learn this stuff. I’m just not sure I can anymore. Head injuries suck, folks. 

I also wonder if we’re going to have Trick-or-Treaters this year. 👻🤠🥸🤡🤖👹👽👩‍🍳🧑‍🚀👨‍✈️😚🥷👩‍🚒🧟‍♂️💃👳‍♀️🧌🧛‍♀️

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Especially this week, I wonder what could've been....  (Also rewatched Cyrano, which didn't help much)

On 10/20/2023 at 6:13 PM, Vicki said:

sometimes I wonder, as I read others’ posts, whether or not I’m actually still smart enough to have an aquarium. I feel like I’m getting so much wrong, I wonder if I’m actually cut out for GH and KH and Iron and CO2 and testing the water for all these things to make plants grow.

Have you ever heard of a guy named Mike McDaniel?  He is the newer HC for the Miami Dolphins.  I'll toss a video here below, but one of his main things he always talks to the team is that "Adversity is Opportunity." 

He has a wonderful story to tell.  I admire his ability to push himself through difficult moments, share those stories, and the ability to support those around him. It's a nice little chat and you get to learn just a little bit about him.  🙂

That being said, I would simply say that I have been in your shoes and have absolutely felt like I could do it.  I even went down the road of getting "fancy" CO2 and having a higher technology setup.  I'll show you two photos that were taken moments or shortly after planting the tank.  Ultimately, there's always a story and always something more to learn.... THAT'S AWESOME because it keeps you so engaged with the hobby.

In the first tank, it was setup for success... I thought, but I just was trying a bunch of plants I ended up struggling with.  The moss in the middle did ok, everything green did alright, but everything red melted back in days.  It still is a failure I am trying to overcome and I absolutely do want to grow some red plants. Soon!

IMG_20190308_092459.jpg.bfc2033b332aeb143159aa5bae33cdf3.jpg.1b6c951765b46c9f12d35c308bcc716e.jpg

This is one of my more recent setups (end of 2021) and this tank was setup with the best of intentions.  I got a better substrate, I had the wood, I had things all setup and scaped for the sake of the plants.  I had the tank setup and running and all I needed to do was to let the plants grow and take hold.  One plant, one tank, very simple....  I tried 5 or so times with this exact same tank, rebuying plants over and over and I never got this plant to grow one time.  This was the final straw for me and it was one of the biggest steps forward with me trying to learn how to grow plants a bit better.  This is a plant I have grown in my other tank, but for whatever reason I could not get it to grow at all in the new location. 

20210830_232001.JPG.3014dd2389ad9c1276c7223583a324ec.JPG

You definitely learn from your mistakes, but you can also learn from so many places you never thought.  One thing I try to keep in mind personally is the thought of, "you don't get to choose where you learn from."  Something knowledge will just drop and hit you.  Sometimes you will find awe and inspiration from a place you never thought possible.  Sometimes it really hurts to go through some life lessons.  From Coach Mike, one thing I have learned is to keep the big picture in play, and to aim big, but to do things in small manageable chunks.  Focus on every single little detail until you have all of those right, then take the next step forward and start on all of those details again.

If we look at "I want to grow plants" or "I want to have a nice planted tank" as the goal:
1.  Print a photo of an amazing tank that you absolutely love and would cherish if it was in your possession (and skill level)
2.  Take that photo and hang it on the wall near your tank
3.  Work towards that.

This might mean, learn to grow one plant.  Learn how to plant correctly.  Learn how to setup the substrate.  It might mean 100 different things before you get to something as seemingly normal as checking your water parameters.  Then you might focus on getting things perfect for that plant.  You might absolutely LOVE the journey and getting into those details, or it might just seem like an insurmountable task.  It's all about how you look at it and how you decide to view your own capability.  I don't know much, but I do know that you CAN grow plants. You can succeed if you want to.  Good food takes time.

Fingers crossed for you. Best of luck. Please be sure to let us know if you ever need some help and there's some very helpful (and encouraging) people here for you!

• Love 2

You kinda made me cry. So much crisis and tragedy surrounding me and in the world right now; my Betta is sick; my dog is only half groomed and we’re having professional pictures made tomorrow; sooo many errands and chores to get finished before the two holidays coming up; and I’m feeling particularly overwhelmed with the people and animals around me that I have to help.

Then I read this. Something I wrote two weeks ago. You remembered me and felt drawn to say something. It’s an amazing feeling to be remembered. So thanks. Thank you. From my overwhelmed heart to yours - you just made my day! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I wonder if the pumpkins on my porch are healthy for the squirrels eating them. And why the damn raccoons skip by the healthy and accessable pumpkins and go for the trash bins that they can’t get in to? 

Edited by Vicki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/11/2023 at 9:10 PM, jwcarlson said:

I wonder if I have ever walked near someone in the woods on my way to/from bow hunting and not known that they're there.  It's hunting season here and it's been on my mind every time I'm going to/from in the dark.

Probably!   On a long ago backpacking trip, I was on the other side of that bush. 

I'm shy, so I will go the extra quarter mile to find the perfect spot for doing what bears do in the woods.   While there, I heard noises which I assumed to be the bear.  I froze.  Somehow I was more alarmed to see another hiker/hunter stumble down the hillside and stop within 10 feet of me.  He looked around a bit, took a drink of water and casually wandered off.  To this day, I still wonder: did he really not see me sitting there, or was he an exceptionally good actor?

• Haha 5

On 11/11/2023 at 6:10 PM, jwcarlson said:

I wonder if I have ever walked near someone in the woods on my way to/from bow hunting and not known that they're there.  It's hunting season here and it's been on my mind every time I'm going to/from in the dark.

I wonder that about all sorts of animals. Like have I ever walked past a mountain lion? Or a raccoon in the gutter/sewer without knowing? Or my own dang cat(s) (which I know has happened a million times). Sasquatch? Where are you dude?

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 2:58 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I wonder that about all sorts of animals. Like have I ever walked past a mountain lion? Or a raccoon in the gutter/sewer without knowing? Or my own dang cat(s) (which I know has happened a million times). Sasquatch? Where are you dude?

There was a mountain lion roaming the area not too far from our house.  The last city we lived in someone had one in their tree in their backyard and shot it.  There's been rumors of them around here for 30 years, and we're part of their historic range here in Iowa.  But they're getting more prevalent, or at least that's the perception, though it could be bias because of all the cameras everyone had on them at all times basically.  Either way, this deer season I have been very jumpy walking to/from in the dark.  In fact, the last time I walked in in the dark a hedge apple fell randomly from the tree I had just walked under and I spun around and my heart went crazy.  

Some of the most frightening things to encounter in the dark is walking through thick grass and stepping close enough to a pheasant that they flush because in the dark you basically need to come in contact with them and they usually fly just about straight into your face.  

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 1:11 PM, jwcarlson said:

bias because of all the cameras everyone had on them at all times

Yes, I know this to be true (my job has me privy to some of this information), people in urban areas are seeing wildlife they never knew has ALWAYS been there. A mountain lion (fairly rare but possible) or coyote (totally common) walking down their street and they freak. They pose no real danger to humans unless during mating season or rabies exposure- honestly they pose more a danger to our pets than anything. Hundreds of microchips are found in the systems of many a deceased predator every year. Anyway, I KNOW I pass them and they pass me, but honestly I'd really rather see them for curiosities sake than anything. I'd be more scared of what you mentioned: a pheasant blowing up in my face in the middle of the night. That's the stuff of nightmares!

• Haha 2

I'd take a pheasant over seeing a mountain lion where I'm hunting.  I totally understand that they're always there and always have been.  But the rational part of my brain departs the rails if I see a mountain lion behind me in the dark... or even in broad daylight.  Even if the odds are very slim, and yes... they are.  That said, I'm a nice, tasty snack for a mountain lion.  

On 10/20/2023 at 9:13 PM, Vicki said:

Do you ever have thoughts that are just kind of random and you’d kind of like to get them out of your head? Things that you sometimes wonder about? They can be related to fish or not related to fish. And maybe you wonder about something that someone actually knows the answer to! Anyway, share your wonderings, or your wanderings! Let’s see what comes out!

"kind of random' describes most of my thought processes! 

In my Aquarium:  How bright is bright, how low is "low light", Is using root tabs with a UGF a waste of money, will I ever get that  aquarium 'balanced'? 

In the world:  Why do smart people avoid the easy answers, Does my neighbor's cat consider my yard to be a vacation destination, what exactly are the raccoons washing in the cat's water bowl every night?

Some other random thoughts for your aquarium:

Aquarium keeping is as complicated as you choose to make it, and every aquarium is different.  It is equally important to find out what you don't need to do!  If you start to become overwhelmed, there is nothing wrong with a written list, schedule or journal .  One of my teachers said "you don't need to remember everything I say, you just need to remember where to find the information".  You have already discovered where to find the information.

• Love 1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:14 AM, Tanked said:

In the world:  Why do smart people avoid the easy answers, Does my neighbor's cat consider my yard to be a vacation destination, what exactly are the raccoons washing in the cat's water bowl every night

Because smart people assume the answers are more complicated all of the time. 

Yes.

Either their paws or their food, they do both. 

On 11/16/2023 at 1:05 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Because smart people assume the answers are more complicated all of the time. 

Yes.

Either their paws or their food, they do both. 

I glad they wash their hands first, but changing the muddy water every morning is annoying!

Man i wonder the same thing as the OP allot! I tend to overthink things and want everything perfect in the tanks, then my father in law calls asking if i have a freshwater test kit he can borrow, this guys got thousands of gallons of tanks, super rare fish, monster fish you name it, i go well whats wrong with yours, he goes i got something weird going on in a tank but my test kits probably from the late 80's early 90's so i dont know if its still good, well what do you usually test with? I dont.  Guy hasnt dipped a tank in probably 20 years and everything just works out, granted theres years of wisdom there to though. In my latest tanks i;ve tried going for more of his approach, he doesnt scour the net finding stocking options or what will work with what peacefully, just find what he likes, puts em in there and see's what happens!

I personally always wondered why no one ever teaches their dogs to shake with the back paw! So the womans golden is currently being trained for "back shake"!

• Like 2