New favorites? Everyone's got em, right?

Shadow

As we all suffer from MTS and our faves change both old, new...so what's everyone into atm? Any new fish obsessions...nonstop old ones?

Here's some of mine...

Coral Red Pencilfish (Nannostomus mortenthaleri)

Coral Red Pencilfish...thought I located some but they ran out just before I got ahold. As red is one of my favorite colors, want some for my upcoming big tank. 

Trichogaster chuna - Tropical Freshwater Fish For Sale Online - The Wet  Spot Tropical Fish

Sunset Honey Gourami...newest fish to Mama's tank I built her recently. They are so interactive and always checking out the tank. Not sure how to sex them, so wondering if they are a pair or not. Still fun to watch and the life of that tank! 🙂 

Sterbai Cory: How To Care For This Catfish Species - Aquariadise

@nabokovfan87 will love seeing this...but yes, I love the Sterbai now. I have been a longtime Gold Laser fanboy, but the activity and overall liveliness of these Corys are amazing to watch! Really happy I added them to my future Discus home. They and my final fish are really cool additions in this tank.

Red Lizard Whiptail Catfish (Rineloricaria sp.) - Aquatic Arts on sale  today for $ 17.99 |

These suckers aka Red Lizard Whiptail Catfish(wow that is a mouthful!!) are so unique! First week I added them, they were very reclusive and I was wondering, as rumor is they are so sensitive from shipping, if they had made it or were doing well. Well, after some acclimation time, they come out quite frequently and I am noticing they are growing! They really are cool wet pets!! If anyone has higher temp tanks for SA Cichlids, these and Sterbai are def a good thought. 

What about everyone else? 😁

• Like 2
  • Love 4

On 10/17/2023 at 9:39 PM, Shadow said:

As we all suffer from MTS and our faves change both old, new...so what's everyone into atm? Any new fish obsessions...nonstop old ones?

Here's some of mine...

Coral Red Pencilfish...thought I located some but they ran out just before I got ahold. As red is one of my favorite colors, want some for my upcoming big tank. 

Trichogaster chuna - Tropical Freshwater Fish For Sale Online - The Wet  Spot Tropical Fish

Sunset Honey Gourami...newest fish to Mama's tank I built her recently. They are so interactive and always checking out the tank. Not sure how to sex them, so wondering if they are a pair or not. Still fun to watch and the life of that tank! 🙂 

@nabokovfan87 will love seeing this...but yes, I love the Sterbai now. I have been a longtime Gold Laser fanboy, but the activity and overall liveliness of these Corys are amazing to watch! Really happy I added them to my future Discus home. They and my final fish are really cool additions in this tank.

Red Lizard Whiptail Catfish (Rineloricaria sp.) - Aquatic Arts on sale  today for $ 17.99 |

These suckers aka Red Lizard Whiptail Catfish(wow that is a mouthful!!) are so unique! First week I added them, they were very reclusive and I was wondering, as rumor is they are so sensitive from shipping, if they had made it or were doing well. Well, after some acclimation time, they come out quite frequently and I am noticing they are growing! They really are cool wet pets!! If anyone has higher temp tanks for SA Cichlids, these and Sterbai are def a good thought. 

I’m just starting to think about Honey Gourami’s always liked the look of them and how they interact. 

• Love 2

On 10/17/2023 at 4:18 PM, nickc_1982 said:

For me at the moment it’s Panda Garra’s, they’re really fun to watch and so lively. 

totally agree, ive got 1panda garra and he is super fun.

my albino cories breeds a lot, and they are super fun to have in a massive group. I hate the fact that ill need to rehome most of them in order to make sure my tank isnt overstocked.

• Like 2

I’m completely obsessed with trying to breed gold nugget plecos. Started with a “used” fish that I stumbled onto when I went to pick up some used lights. Guy asked if I was interested in any fish. What ya got? African cichlids. No, anything else?  I’ve got a cool pleco.  Took one look and said how much!  That was my first and I’ve been strangely convinced from the beginning that he is a he but I truly have no idea. He’s caving a lot these days so I’m even more convinced for no truly good reason. I just added another 2 more fairly well grown fish (paid twice the price that I did with the first guy and these 2 are smaller than the first guy was when I got him).  This brings me to 1 subadult, probably near breeding age, and 6 more juvies (2 still fairly small) in a grow out tank.

I recently picked up a 180 G tank that will get set up where my current rack is standing. It’s already drilled so I’ll have some options I hadn’t previously considered in creating current in a riverine set up for them.  This will help push me through the mountain of tasks I need to complete to get to the stage where I can set up the “gold nugget breeding tank” that I hope intensely that the 180 G turns into.

First pic is the most recent with the stupid cloudy water since the lemon bristlenoses are still stirring up the substrate like crazy. Second is the best clear pick of him from many months ago. He’s caving diligently right now.  I’ve been so worried about how I would ever catch him out of this tank. He’s so tucked into his cave that I’m certain I’ll only have to pick up that wood piece and move it to the new tank.  He’s welcome to keep it in the new tank.  Whatever makes him comfortable!

Once that tank is set up, it’s big enough all the gold nuggets can go in at the same time.

Previous obsessions include gold laser Cories. I also now favor the sterbais I have in that same tank. Much bolder and more interesting to watch.

I’ve also all but given up on my Betta persephones. Still have a pair but they just hide too much to hold my interest well. I was prepared for reclusive fish but not for quite this reclusive. Same with my pygmy sunfish, hide too much and too well to keep my full interest, sadly.

Even though my big BEL boys are tearing up my substrate and have recently floated an Amazon sword that has been planted for 2.5 YEARS, I still love them.  I’m definitely finding myself a bit pleco obsessed overall.  The babies with their giant, “laying on a beach ball bellies” are just so stinking cute!

IMG_5358.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Typos. Thanks autocorrect for substituting a completely different random word.
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

On 10/17/2023 at 1:39 PM, Shadow said:

It makes me miss my false julii's corydoras!  I'm glad you're having fun with them.  I've never kept them before, but I can only imagine years from now how the pattern will develop and look amazing.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2023 at 5:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’m completely obsessed with trying to breed gold nugget plecos. Started with a “used” fish that I stumbled onto when I went to pick up some used lights. Guy asked if I was interested in any fish. What ya got? African cichlids. No, anything else?  I’ve got a cool pleco.  Took one look and said how much!  That was my first and I’ve been strangely convinced from the beginning that he is a he but I truly have no idea. He’s caving a lot these days so I’m even more convinced for no truly good reason. I just added another 2 more fairly well grown fish (paid twice the price that I did with the first guy and these 2 are smaller than the first guy was when I got him).  This brings me to 1 subadult, probably near breeding age, and 6 more juvies (2 still fairly small) in a grow out tank.

I recently picked up a 180 G tank that will get set up where my current rack is standing. It’s already drilled so I’ll have some options I hadn’t previously considered in creating current in a riverine set up for them.  This will help push me through the mountain of tasks I need to complete to get to the stage where I can set up the “gold nugget breeding tank” that I hope intensely that the 180 G turns into.

First pic is the most recent with the stupid cloudy water since the lemon bristlenoses are still stirring up the substrate like crazy. Second is the best clear pick of him from many months ago. He’s caving diligently right now.  I’ve been so worried about how I would ever catch him out of this tank. He’s so tucked into his cave that I’m certain I’ll only have to pick up that wood piece and move it to the new tank.  He’s welcome to keep it in the new tank.  Whatever makes him comfortable!

Once that tank is set up, it’s big enough all the gold nuggets can go in at the same time.

Previous obsessions include gold laser Cories. I also now favor the sterbais I have in that same tank. Much bolder and more interesting to watch.

I’ve also all but given up on my Betta persephones. Still have a pair but they just hide too much to hold my interest well. I was prepared for reclusive fish but not for quite this reclusive. Same with my pygmy sunfish, hide too much and too well to keep my full interest, sadly.

Even though my big BEL boys are tearing up my substrate and have recently floated an Amazon sword that has been planted for 2.5 YEARS, I still love them.  I’m definitely finding myself a bit pleco obsessed overall.  The babies with their giant, “laying on a beach ball bellies” are just so stinking cute!

IMG_5358.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

Great response and what an amazing fish! I really have a thing for the kitties...they are so awesome and once they get use to you, they do start to venture out more. Well bar my Gold Lasers...the fry that are now juveniles are very brazen and come out, never get spooked. But the big mama and the boyz, they stay reclusive in the back of my OG tank. The others I got next for my all Kitty Tank, they are super reclusive as well. Sterbai def are more active and are hilarious to sit n watch. Also, lemons stirring up substrate?? You don't say? I have I think 8 between 3 tanks...the ones in my all kitty tank, they are constantly sparring or whatever and kickin up substrate. I think I have one female and two males in that tank. Hoping your breeding project goes well and please take pics, share of the new tank! I wish I could set up something for a real big tank, but atm, I think my max weight on the stand I bought will limit me to no more than 100. 

On 10/17/2023 at 5:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It makes me miss my false julii's corydoras!  I'm glad you're having fun with them.  I've never kept them before, but I can only imagine years from now how the pattern will develop and look amazing.

You should really get some soon...they are super fun to watch! This group stay in one large one and break into small sub ones constantly all over the tank. They also seem to have made the whiptails come out more. 

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, Shadow said:

Hoping your breeding project goes well and please take pics, share of the new tank!

I’ll definitely post up, but that’s a project months away from now.  I’ve got to actually make progress on my fish room because the only spot for that tank is where my current rack is.  I’ve got to rearrange practically the entire house to get there.  Hubs and I have been living in this house for 26 years.  We’ve accumulated.  😆  Past time to purge!  🤣 We’re not as motivated or as strong as we used to be.  😂 

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2023 at 12:22 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’ll definitely post up, but that’s a project months away from now.  I’ve got to actually make progress on my fish room because the only spot for that tank is where my current rack is.  I’ve got to rearrange practically the entire house to get there.  Hubs and I have been living in this house for 26 years.  We’ve accumulated.  😆  Past time to purge!  🤣 We’re not as motivated or as strong as we used to be.  😂 

I am doing the SAME thing. Will add what my plans are in my journal so I don't hog this thread and go waaaaay off topic. 😂

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:39 PM, Shadow said:

Here's some of mine...

I have 3 of these in my bedroom tanks instead of fishroom tanks (except pencilfish). I bet that says something! I love them too

I guess I dont have a favorite. But I recently noticed  that I really enjoy watching my panda guppy colony tank and my new additions, luminatus!  Pygmy cories are always a joy to me, that's nothing new. 

• Like 2

I'm kind of getting very hooked on tetras these days.

This is my current favorite. Just picked up a small group of these beauties (picture below not mine).

Hyphessobrycon spec. "Cherry Red". Next I'm thinking of getting some hyphessobrycon wadai, a.k.a 'blueberry tetras'. But that will probably have to wait until spring.

Untitled.jpg.9cc5ea9876ef69b1e6c7b95e9c9192cf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/20/2023 at 8:28 AM, ColBud said:

Hooked on these little guys. Started these about a month ago. Hopefully will get an easy win with babies… looking good on that front have 3-5 Buried females now.

F003B95C-9D93-4B0D-973D-13F1D9BD7C4B.jpeg

758672F5-485C-48F4-901C-4A47D525A0F0.jpeg

I also love and am hooked on shrimp keeping. I don't keep many types (Crystal Red, Orange Rili, Tangerine Tiger), but I am always (ALWAYS!) temped to convert all my fish tanks in my fish room into shrimp tanks!

• Like 2

I'm kind of torn on what my next tank will be.  It's either going to be another African cichlid tank or another rainbow tank and haven't decided yet 😂 there's so many beautiful mbuna but also I would like to get some shell dwellers.  Either that or one of the larger variety of rainbow.  I have a spare 55 that just keeps looking at me and saying it needs to be set up!

• Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 6:51 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I'm kind of getting very hooked on tetras these days.

This is my current favorite. Just picked up a small group of these beauties (picture below not mine).

Hyphessobrycon spec. "Cherry Red". Next I'm thinking of getting some hyphessobrycon wadai, a.k.a 'blueberry tetras'. But that will probably have to wait until spring.

Untitled.jpg.9cc5ea9876ef69b1e6c7b95e9c9192cf.jpg

I love Tetras...they and pencil fish are becoming a big fave of mine. I really like the schooling and some of the rarer ones I wouldn't mind trying to start breeding just to get them more into the hobby...like the Blueberry Tetras or Melon Tetras. Those Cherry Red are pretty awesome! Love the colors!!! 

On 10/20/2023 at 12:30 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Shellies are super fun! Especially if you have a nice big colony of them. They are so fascinating to watch.

If I ever get that deep into shellies, I don't think I would change. All I hear are how quirky they are and how much fun they are to watch. 

On 10/20/2023 at 9:34 AM, Ben P. said:

I'm kind of torn on what my next tank will be.  It's either going to be another African cichlid tank or another rainbow tank and haven't decided yet 😂 there's so many beautiful mbuna but also I would like to get some shell dwellers.  Either that or one of the larger variety of rainbow.  I have a spare 55 that just keeps looking at me and saying it needs to be set up!

I have about 9 aquariums sitting empty...just not sure what to do with them all. 🤣

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 7:50 PM, Shadow said:

If I ever get that deep into shellies, I don't think I would change. All I hear are how quirky they are and how much fun they are to watch. 

I was keeping multi's for a few years, but then stopped. Totally miss them.  Everyone in who is hooked on this hobby should try shellies at some point in their aquarium journey.

Here is one of my fishies from back then.  🥲  (I miss you little fella!)  One of these days I'm going to start a colony again.

image.jpeg.db2eb2c6983df383fb79342f8fa63b3f.jpeg

• Love 3

I am firmly hooked on the my TFBs  Red Tailed Tinfoil Barbs. Their schooling behavior and personalities  are just fun to observe.  I have a new appreciation for SAEs.  Kind of like the ant farm that some of us had as kids; they are almost always busy.  At the same time, when I look at some of the photos posted in these forums, I think I am missing out on some new favorites.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/21/2023 at 1:13 PM, Tanked said:

I am firmly hooked on the my TFBs  Red Tailed Tinfoil Barbs. Their schooling behavior and personalities  are just fun to observe.  I have a new appreciation for SAEs.  Kind of like the ant farm that some of us had as kids; they are almost always busy.  At the same time, when I look at some of the photos posted in these forums, I think I am missing out on some new favorites.

Have you seen these? My friend sent me info on them. I have Odessa Barbs in one of my tank. They are a weird bunch. 

Barbo Nigrofasciatus or better known as Purplehead Barb
Pethia nigrofasciatus – Exotic Farm

On 10/20/2023 at 9:35 PM, Ben P. said:

I just wish shellies were cheaper so I could just buy 15 or so and get a quick start on a colony

I mean, cheap and our hobby rarely go hand n hand lol...I think I have sunk nearly 10K into it since I started, no lie. Prob more...sad I know. 

MTS affected human/hobbyist confirmed. Sorry not sorry. 

• Like 1

I've always been into cold water fish. Minnows and shiners. Goldfish years ago. I do still have white clouds; I always have some. My new interest is snails. I have a mystery snail in my 12 and 14 inch cubes. I have a 3 gallon jar project I am putting together for ramshorns and some orange shrimp though. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 2:44 PM, Shadow said:

Have you seen these? My friend sent me info on them. I have Odessa Barbs in one of my tank. They are a weird bunch. 

Barbo Nigrofasciatus or better known as Purplehead Barb
Pethia nigrofasciatus – Exotic Farm

I have now!  What caught my eye was the Coral Red Pencil fish in your original post.  My water is probably much too hard for those.  LFSs stores around me tend to stick to the most commonly available fish.  I have seen the Odessa Barbs in the more dedicated LFS.  

• Like 1