Very Mature Tank - Old fish - Suddenly 3 Neon Jumped out

Marcelo

Hi Everyone,

40 Gal Breeder tank. 3 years old, 8 Neon, 9 or 10 Harlequin Bards, one female betta, 3 Amano Shrimps, and some nerites. All these fish are old to the tank (Amanos are new).

A lot of plants. Dry Fertilizer with EI method.    Injected CO2 but the fish not giving me a sign of low Oxygen. 

Ammonia 0,  Temperature 75oF, pH from 7.3 to about 6.1 (injected CO2 brings down to 6.1).

Nitrate 60,  Nitrite 0   KH 89ppm  GH 60ppm 

So, two weeks ago I found 1 neon dead on the floor. Yesterday another one and today, another one.

I don't know what I could be missing ?!?! I use RO water and add Seachem to raise GH and KG as I always do.

The only thing I have noticed is a huge increase in the algae (green) on the glass .... 

Do you have some idea ??

IMG_6953.jpg

Edited by Marcelo

On 10/3/2023 at 6:06 AM, Marcelo said:

Hi @Galabar Well, my big rock goes out from the water and is higher than the tank …

I’ve seen some people make DIY lids out of polycarbonate sheets, and a few I’ve seen have holes made for large hardscape. If it doesn’t ruin the aesthetic too much, this could be an option!

• Like 1

Bear with I’m not a CO2 user.

Is there any chance that at night while lights are out and plants are releasing co2 that the ph and o2 levels are falling lower than what they should. As plants grow and gain more mass they will use more o2 at night and release more co2. 

If the fish are acting normal during daylight hours but trying to escape the water at night my guess would be something is occurring to make the water uninhabitable only in the night hours. 

Can you test your PH and dissolved oxygen while it is still dark in the room and tanks in the morning when these would be at the lowest? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've heard of people keeping a night light in the room so that stay light coming in from outside at night isn't as starting.

Maybe you trimmed a bush or a neighbor got new bright lights on their car that's making new shadows or lights to cross the tank at night and spook them?

Or maybe you left bananas out too long and you have fruit flies they're hunting?

Maybe the Betta is getting older and grumpy at night?

There are so many variables with something like jumping...

• Thanks 1