Is a quarantine tank necessary?

Hello everyone, 

I am wondering how necessary it is to have a quarantine tank for new fish. I am 13, I don't have the money or space to set up a aquarium that would only be used for quarantine. Is it possible for me to put the new fish in the aquarium and medicate the fish there? Also, I usually treat fish with API general cure, is this medication plant safe? Are there any other anti-parasite medication you think I should get instead? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

Hello everyone, 

I am wondering how necessary it is to have a quarantine tank for new fish. I am 13, I don't have the money or space to set up a aquarium that would only be used for quarantine. Is it possible for me to put the new fish in the aquarium and medicate the fish there? Also, I usually treat fish with API general cure, is this medication plant safe? Are there any other anti-parasite medication you think I should get instead? Thanks!

The short answer is NO its not necessary, but I HIGHLY reccemond it. 

Not too long ago I had a ich outbreak in one of aquariums because I didn't qt a bristle nose pleco. I am also a teenager on a strict budget with not a lot of space. which is why i didn't have a qt tank. soon after I upgraded tanks and I am now using the smaller one now for a qt tank. 

If you are on a budget you could use the following as a qt tank

-Clear storrage Rubbermaid, just cut holes on the top and use a spair heater/ filter. you do not need lights. keep it bair bottom

as far as meds I would suggest the following:

a ich treatment, API Melafix and API General Cure, also aquarium salt. but if your on a budget don't worry about getting these meds all at once

I would not suggest adding the fish to the aquarium and medicate them because a lot of fish do not act well with meds when their not infected. you could be risking death. 

Do you have a desk? if so my idea would be to get a small little storage rubbermaid/ 5gallon aquarium as a QT tank and put in on the desk. along with if you have a dresser. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Here's a video about quarantining and treating fish from @Cory 

I think that's the right one I did have time to watch more than a few seconds to check and he has a lot of videos about it. His method has pretty much become the standard in the hobby as far as I can tell. Pretty much every youtuber I watch and hobbyist I know uses his method. 

As for alternatives to an actual tank... Literally anything that holds water, won't react with the water/meds and is large enough to not cause the fish additional stress. Rubbermaid totes and 5 gallon buckets work well. 

It's never necessary till you eventually have a problem. 

It's an optional extra (tank, bucket or tub) that I think is far more important to own then people give it credit for. 

In my opinion yes it is necessary. You'll wish you had one once something unfortunate happens. 

I deal with people all the time who "never needed one or never had one without a problem" till they loose all their fish.. 

As said before in this thread any body of water bucket tub or tank + a filter and heater even a simple sponge filter for a week or more even without meds incredibly helps your chances for success! 

13 hours ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

Hello everyone, 

I ran short of tank space to quarantine so I threw a sponge filter and a heater into a 5 gal bucket filled 2/3 of the way up and then used a spare lighted lid as a cover. Result 1 quarantine tank on the cheap.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dandy Pearl said:

I agree with @Paul it doesn't need to be complicated.

Here is another reference for you.

Good luck with your fish.

This is, and has been, my set up for a while. When you are not quarantining, keep the sponge filter in another tank, to keep it cycled (or add a pinch of food once a week to the qt tank). It only takes one time to not qt fish and you'll be sorry! A little more than 2 years ago, I added a swordtail directly to a community (the last fish in a 55 gal) because I 'ran out' of qt space and lost 25 black neons, an sae, and half of my corys to columnaris, and the meds to save my angelfish and the rest destroyed my plants. Not alot monetarily, but still devastating. Especially if you're stocking expensive fish like discus, its worth a small investment!

14 hours ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

The 75 gallon where the discus are going are currently has 4 neon tetras and one betta. I am also considering to get about 16 cardinals to top the tetras at 20. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it, and if I do, should I do the discus first, tetras first, etc. What is your opinion?

So if it is the discus you intend to quarantine one option would be quarantine them in the 75 gallon prior to adding the other 16 tetras. If you have concerns about the discus infecting your 4 neons and 1 betta you could move the neons and betta. I know you have concerns about internal parasites so you have the choice of just treating everybody in the 75 gallon or again moving the neons and bettas.

The discus are your largest and most expensive fish. It might be prudent to start them in the 75 gallon?