Lethargic Dwaf Gourami

AndyR

Hey everyone!

I have a Dwarf Gourami in my tank that I’m a little concerned about. Lately, in the past few weeks, it’s been hiding in my swords and sitting at the bottom of the tank (sometimes a little lop-sided). It also appears not to be eating well either. There is another Dwarf Gourami that has has been a bit of a bully over the past 7 months since I setup the tank but, this is the first time I’ve noticed any major behavioral changes in the submissive fish. No signs of visible lesions and the water appears to be in good condition after doing a test strip this morning. Any thoughts? 

On 9/4/2023 at 12:18 PM, AndyR said:

Hey everyone!

I have a Dwarf Gourami in my tank that I’m a little concerned about. Lately, in the past few weeks, it’s been hiding in my swords and sitting at the bottom of the tank (sometimes a little lop-sided). It also appears not to be eating well either. There is another Dwarf Gourami that has has been a bit of a bully over the past 7 months since I setup the tank but, this is the first time I’ve noticed any major behavioral changes in the submissive fish. No signs of visible lesions and the water appears to be in good condition after doing a test strip this morning. Any thoughts? 

Test strips are okay but liquid test kits are more accurate.

It could be stress from bullying that lead to some sort of disease. I’d try a tank divider first if you’re sure there’s no water quality issues. They may need separation

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:50 PM, AndyR said:

Thanks so much Zac! I’ll give the divider a shot I think 

If separation doesn’t help he may need treatment of some sort. But without any other symptoms other than lethargy it’s hard to say. Are your pH and hardness within a normal range? 

• Like 1

Thanks Zak! I ordered a tank separator that should be coming in today. I’ll give that a shot. Hardness and pH seem to be within normal ranges but, I did notice this morning that the poor fish is quite bloated now. My first thought is to add aquarium salts and a cycle of melafix. Any other ideas?

On 9/7/2023 at 9:51 PM, AndyR said:

Off, that’s rough to hear. This has been the latest development. It looks like the swelling has gone down a bit but, any thoughts on what’s happening here?

IMG_5906.jpeg

IMG_5907.jpeg

Pineconing, dropsy. I havent been able to save any fish of mine that reached this level. I hope you can. It can be caused by many things, and it has likely organ failure rn. 

Please see here: 

On 8/30/2023 at 11:39 AM, Colu said:

When you have pineconing one of the symptoms associated with dropsy that can because by a number of things organ failure causing fluid buildup internal bacterial infection parasitic infections the most effective treatment I have found is a course of metroplex in food  feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks dose the tank with kanaplex to treat any possible internal bacterial infection and add aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons that will help reduce the fluid buildup and aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes add an extra air stone during treatment if you are going to treat I would quarantine as medication can be harsh to healthy fish  so I would treat the sick on it's own even with the treatment I recommended there no guarantee it will recover @alcidmr

Screenshot_20230813-020656.png

@AndyR

@AndyR I would do as @Colu recommends except I would use Maracyn-2 (Minocycline) instead of the Kanaplex/kanamycin.  Maracyn-2 is absorbed internally and can get into the tissues if there’s infection in the internal organs and so can the Metroplex/metronidazole.  Kanaplex is great for skin infections, gill infections, certain types of gut infections (because it does go inside the fish but isn’t absorbed into the blood stream from the gut, some can cross in via the gills but not a lot).  The Maracyn-2 can be mixed into food like the Metroplex and it is absorbed into the bloodstream and dispersed into the organs and tissues.

The Metronidazole and Minocycline combo is a strong combo and very broad spectrum against most of the diseases that can cause dropsy (the swelling you’re seeing).  Keep the tank water absolutely pristine with frequent water changes and moving this fish to a treatment/hospital tank would be best.  You will be able to monitor more closely and use less of the expensive medications for treatment.  Do everything you can to make sure this kiddo is still eating but DON’T overfeed!  You need to keep the metabolism going but not overtax it’s system with too much food.

It is very much a long shot to get fish to recover from this so don’t beat yourself up if this one doesn’t survive.  Do what you can but usually dropsy is caused only by very serious problems from some sort of internal organ failure - liver, kidney, heart disease, etc.  Bringing them back from organ failure is difficult at best, but completely impossible sometimes.  Try since it has happened on rare occasions, but at the same time, don’t develop false hope.  Sorry, wish it was better news for your little.

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate it! It does feel pretty awful, especially since I lost a few neons already 2 months ago to Neon Tetra Disease I believe. I did a rush delivery of the meds and they should be in tomorrow. If it doesn’t work this time, I’ll at least have the medication on hand if something else happens I suppose. 

Thanks for the encouragement @oddduck I kind of need that right now tbh!

On 9/8/2023 at 3:31 AM, AndyR said:

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate it! It does feel pretty awful, especially since I lost a few neons already 2 months ago to Neon Tetra Disease I believe. I did a rush delivery of the meds and they should be in tomorrow. If it doesn’t work this time, I’ll at least have the medication on hand if something else happens I suppose. 

He's a recipe for maracyn2 in food 

Screenshot_20230813-020718.png

On 9/7/2023 at 9:31 PM, AndyR said:

Unfortunately, commercially produced dwarf gouramis and neon tetras, along with guppies, are prone to health problems, and just not living long in general.

Edited by JettsPapa

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Just an update here, I did loose the Gourami sadly but, I did invest in a variety of medications that used and will have for the future. I have a 2nd Gourami that I’m now a little paranoid might also have dropsy. How does everything think this fella looks?

IMG_6078.jpeg

On 10/12/2023 at 12:19 AM, AndyR said:

Hey everyone,

Just an update here, I did loose the Gourami sadly but, I did invest in a variety of medications that used and will have for the future. I have a 2nd Gourami that I’m now a little paranoid might also have dropsy. How does everything think this fella looks?

IMG_6078.jpeg

It doesn't look like it's got any pineconing or bloating that could just be the angle of the picture have you got a picture from above looking down