I was already surprised when the fish did not care about the adult cherry shrimp living with them, even more surprised to see shrimplets are surviving, I guess my fish are spoiled enough not to care about them.

IMG_0467.JPG.de7c6de721d15a6725250bc858b14e4c.JPG

Did a weekly water change this morning, tank is looking good

IMG_0469.JPG.398115f5be2e4fff389c6900366c4478.JPG

Sunburst platy is settling in very nicely, he has discovered that he has some friends in the tank and has been hanging out with them

IMG_0472.JPG.45983eaeea15f3b1bbd7009ca1292368.JPG

Random Garra Guy picture showing off his red fins

IMG_0470.JPG.7a53d482a8929c7a7a1247956b2526c8.JPG

Also doing a small test on video format, this is Garra Guy super excited after the water change:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/17/2024 at 1:17 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

Does your panda garra have any favorite foods? I tried to give mine a green bean once but he never really seemed to notice it. Loves his pellets though

Mine is not very picky. I feed Xtreme bottom wafers and he loves those, he particularly likes Repashy Community Plus as well.

As far as vegetables go I have fed blanched zuchini,  and defrosted frozen spinach and he likes to eat both of those.

• Like 2

Got some better pictures of the guppies/endlers at the school tank, unfortunately lighting was not the greatest.

Anyone have anyone idea if these are guppies or endlers or something in between? I'm not sure which one.

WhatsAppImage2024-03-21at4_12_45PM.jpeg.26dd55ffc05ac04221854d76e82b9086.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-21at4_12.44PM(2).jpeg.596914dcc1c45a886578a6f3cd2dec31.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-21at4_12.44PM(1).jpeg.50daa4cf6249cf05265579808b1788fe.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-21at4_12.43PM(1).jpeg.2dab4bcdd68782b823c9e06a8c5c45d2.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-21at4_12_43PM.jpeg.fb37ebfd400780736bdd77bc506002ab.jpeg

Also got my ACO order. I got a murphy hat! My old baseball hat was falling apart. Now i have the perfect way to find fellow Nerms at the LFS. I will say that out of the box the quality of the hat is definitely on-par with what i would expect from ACO. It is nice and comfortable to wear as well.

murphyhat.jpg.18332a64e90297e6f9af91006b567842.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 2:04 PM, GoofyGarra said:

Anyone have anyone idea if these are guppies or endlers or something in between? I'm not sure which one.

Honestly, I think unless you buying from someone who has openly stated they are selling N class endlers then the ones you buy at the LFS are most certainly a mixture of endlers and guppies. They are still really cool though. Congrats on the hat 😀

• Like 1

I have started following the adventures of 2  shrimplets that hitched a ride on plant clippings into my 1.8gallon tank, its fun to watch them just do their shrimp thing, and its easy to observe in a small tank.

IMG_0488.JPG.f4535f0df202d8813c980307c7b1ab95.JPG

Speaking of Shrimp, the ones in the family shrimp tank have been thriving, there are probably too many at this point, over the weekend i might catch them all out and sort them, leaving the best reds in the tank and taking the culls for myself or for friends

IMG_0490.JPG.124ed0c7564e6679c3913f4b3bb61629.JPG

A few weeks ago i got some water wisteria from my friend and decided to float it. It has started growing rather well and one of the stems is putting out a bunch of roots.

IMG_0489.JPG.6dd466003083eecc5fcfe46f2e053e1e.JPG

• Like 2

My shrimp colony lately has been thriving and growing quickly, unfortunately confined to a 4gallon tank it has started to overpopulate. I went in with a net and caught out maybe 30-50 juvenille shrimp (for the purpose i was moving them there was not point counting) and moved them to my 20gallon tank where they can become janitors or snacks. There are still a ton left in the shrimp tank, but i'm hoping its not as overstocked at this point.

IMG_0499.JPG.49e8694c689e7602321637c4d4207d50.JPG

• Like 1

Due to whatever change the Corydoras noticed, they are spawning again this morning. To me their spawning patterns seem random, but I'm sure there is something they are noticing that I am not.

Despite the initial issues, the Sunburst Male is settling in very nicely. He has discovered he has lots of girlfriends in the tank and has been *hanging out* with them. So far no change in accordance to platy fry, but it hasn't yet been a month, I will have to wait and see.

• Like 1

So after an unfortunate series of events, i am now the owner of a goldfish. To summarize:

Someone pulled a prank at school involving live goldfish without doing an research beforehand or having any plan of what to do with them afterwards. I overheard a conversation with the goldfish buyer that they lied to the LFS employee about having a suitable setup for the fish. Points to the LFS for asking to begin with, but I'm very annoyed that upon hearing the question, the buyer did not reconsider.

The goldfish had been in a kiddie pool full of chlorinated water for a few hours and were not looking good, a few were dead. The fish-sympathetic secretary had (fortunately) moved out all the live ones she could find earlier in the day. However 1 of them was floating on the top only occasionally kicking (he was in bad shape) and I found him and added him in to the live ones later, point is he was not doing so well.

Being the fish-guy at school, I spent all day trying to keep the remaining 10-15 feeder goldfish alive, working with the secretary who was similarly outraged at the use of live animals and wanted to keep them alive. I moved all but 1 of the goldfish into a 55gallon during lunch until we could find a better home. The 55 is home to some larger goldfish and is only temporary.  The 1 I did not move to the 55 is the fish that got moved later then the rest of the fish and was not doing well, i was concerned moving him into the 55 would be too stressful on him, so I took him home and he is now living in the 5gallon, hopefully recovering in clean, oxygenated water until I can find him a new home.

In the lab over the summer I was taking care of 2 goldfish and they are very fun fish to take care of, its just a shame they are so widely commoditized and its accepted in modern culture.

IMG_0590.JPG.770108c9619212b1a1cb4a802db70ecf.JPG

I am glad the goldfish had you looking out for their safety and lives sending lots of love to goldfish that it survives. I agree it is unfortunate how goldfish are often treated

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Got a large harvest of Grindal Worms this morning, they have been a very easy live food source for me so far. I have been having the best success using Easy Fry and Small Fish Food to feed the culture, to draws more of them out to feed then other things i have tried.

IMG_0598.JPG.9bd952728f0c78e39fb9848f19ac56a2.JPG

Fish were very excited for the live food

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Love 1

Goldfish is not looking too good, he is still alive but spends all day floating that the surface. I'm really hoping i can get him back to health but feeder goldfish are not the strongest fish and  i think it will be a struggle

IMG_0614.JPG.b1eeeb1a61a568a1e392b79b0d3be529.JPG

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Found some moss growing aquatically in a local stream. After rinsing it off i placed it in a jar by the windowsill, hopefully it grow well or i can find some cool stuff growing in it.

IMG_0627.JPG.3855559b1bfba77e8a096e6f0511115a.JPG

Also very unfortunately lost the goldfish :classic_sad:. He was never looking good to begin with and it was unfortunately rather inevitable.

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Sad 1

Its a rough day for me. I've been struggling with some sort of condition that has been attacking my female platies:

I lost my Stunning Female platy today, i never did get any fry from her. I'm worried that the rest of my female platies could start dying soon and some of them are not looking too good. I've lost fish before but this is particularly hard on me, all the female platies in my tank i raised from fry, and i raised their parents from fry, and they bring back happy memories of my first year in fishkeeping, the potential idea of losing all that is very difficult. Feeling pretty down right now, and i still need to catch out and move the rest of the female platies so they hopefully don't spread the infection to the entire tank. Not my best day...

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Situation continues to degrade. I'm sick now too 🤢 (not with the same thing as the platies), had to catch out all my female platies but 1 that were infected and isolate them in the 5gallon. I'm not sure how to treat it so the 5 gallon seems like a "dont take everyone down with you" tank, not the most cheerful. The female platies did not make themselves easy to catch out, my tank had to look like this:

IMG_0628.JPG.f6bfaf11dcb3198aead83a420bab7a68.JPG

I discovered that the female i thought wasnt infected, possibly was infected only for her to completely disappear so i cant get a better look. Yeah, its not very fun right now, never had such few platies in the big tank...

Turns out the tank has a ton of shrimp though, they had been hiding in the big wood piece but were dislodged when i removed it, they held a gathering on the sponge filter

IMG_0629.JPG.ed6dd5e6d55a85d3fb681b19b714e14a.JPG

Edited by GoofyGarra

On 3/31/2024 at 11:56 AM, GoofyGarra said:

Situation continues to degrade. I'm sick now too 🤢 (not with the same thing as the platies), had to catch out all my female platies but 1 that were infected and isolate them in the 5gallon. I'm not sure how to treat it so the 5 gallon seems like a "dont take everyone down with you" tank, not the most cheerful. The female platies did not make themselves easy to catch out, my tank had to look like this:

IMG_0628.JPG.f6bfaf11dcb3198aead83a420bab7a68.JPG

I discovered that the female i thought wasnt infected, possibly was infected only for her to completely disappear so i cant get a better look. Yeah, its not very fun right now, never had such few platies in the big tank...

Turns out the tank has a ton of shrimp though, they had been hiding in the big wood piece but were dislodged when i removed it, they held a gathering on the sponge filter

IMG_0629.JPG.ed6dd5e6d55a85d3fb681b19b714e14a.JPG

As you have shrimp what I would do is start treating with maracyn2 or API fin and body cure both are shrimp safe which ever one is more readily available do two courses course back to back and add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallon salt will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes and add an extra air stone during treatment 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

@Colu the 20gallon appears to be clear for now, hopefully i have isolated the condition in the 5gallon.

I have added an extra air stone and dosed salt to the 5 gallon tank, I will look for those meds as soon as my LFSs open later today, i do not have either on hand.

On 3/31/2024 at 12:43 PM, GoofyGarra said:

@Colu the 20gallon appears to be clear for now, hopefully i have isolated the condition in the 5gallon.

I have added an extra air stone and dosed salt to the 5 gallon tank, I will look for those meds as soon as my LFSs open later today, i do not have either on hand.

Could be columnaris so you would want to start treating as soon as possible treatment I would usually recommend is kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone these medication are harmful to shrimp columnaris spreads more quickly at temperatures over 75 I would lower temperature to 75 

On 3/31/2024 at 7:48 AM, Colu said:

Could be columnaris so you would want to start treating as soon as possible treatment I would usually recommend is kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone these medication are harmful to shrimp columnaris spreads more quickly at temperatures over 75 I would lower temperature to 75 

In my 5gallon i only have a few shrimp, i am willing to sacrifice those if it means saving my platies. I will definetly lower the temp to the bet of my ability, the heater in the 5gallon is not adjustable, but i can turn down the 20

You  two options one use maracyn2 or API fin and body cure or use kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs following this treatment plan that will harm your shrimp 

1000000030.png

• Like 1

I will admit, things were looking rather bleak on Sunday. Fortunately they have been improving!

Between Aquarium Salt, Maracyn, and Ick-X the sick platies in question appear to be improving, there is still some tail rotting that i need to cure but i'm not having the body slime issues anymore. Very relieved.

The fish were having small territorial disputes which is normal in a small tank which means they are feeling a lot better, i have noticed very sick fish don't really care.

• Like 2