Woke up to 75 gallons on the floor

EVoyager31

Title says it all, but I can’t figure out how it happened?

I was woken up by the sound of my canister filters grinding from running dry and when I walked in my two goldfish were swimming in about 4” of water in their 75 gallon tank. Quickly unplugged everything and threw some towels down and started investigating.

There is no water in the stand, where the canisters sit, there is no water on the side closest to the door so no leaks on that side, and I don’t see any cracks or anything unusual on the glass…

The only weird thing is that the airline tubing I have that is attached to an airstone came loose from the check valve… and there was some water in the airline.. is THAT what caused this? If it had been syphoning water like that all night?

UPDATE: Was 100% the airline tubing syphoning water out after it detached from the check valve, shoutout to the folks below who told me to get a barbed check valve and to zip tie the connections... everything is locked down now. I have refilled the tank and there are 0 leaks on the tank or the canisters. I did lose my largest canister filter because it was running dry for so long and burnt out, bummer. I had a fluval 307 on hand which is smaller, but will get the job done. My #1 favorite goldfish is ALIVE so I am super thankful. Every towel I own is currently in the washer, the floor is dry, and all is well. 😀 

Edited by EVoyager31
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:30 AM, EVoyager31 said:

I was woken up by the sound of my canister filters grinding from running dry and when I walked in my two goldfish were swimming in about 4” of water in their 75 gallon tank. Quickly unplugged everything and threw some towels down and started investigating.

There is no water in the stand, where the canisters sit, there is no water on the side closest to the door so no leaks on that side, and I don’t see any cracks or anything unusual on the glass…

The only weird thing is that the airline tubing I have that is attached to an airstone came loose from the check valve… and there was some water in the airline.. is THAT what caused this? If it had been syphoning water like that all night?

That has to be it. You inspected the silicone I take it as well? No air gaps? Might be small enough to not see with the naked eye as well. But you would think there would be water all over the stand if that were the case. I am thinking, yes, it syphoned all of it to the floor. Was the air supply fried? Also, do you keep emergency check valves on your air stones?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:30 AM, EVoyager31 said:

20230813_094245.jpg

If you don't have these installed on your airlines, I highly advise you to do so as that is probably the culprit. 

• Like 3

On 8/13/2023 at 10:43 AM, Shadow said:

20230813_094245.jpg

If you don't have these installed on your airlines, I highly advise you to do so as that is probably the culprit. 

Yeah I had a check valve, but thats where the airline tubing slipped off. Maybe the airline was just old or poor quality or something.. I’ll definitely be replacing. So bizarre. I’m refilling now with my fingers crossed its not a silicone leak.

Thankfully my goldfish are OK, but Im hoping to get the original tank up and running. The other tank I threw them into has only been running two days so it isn’t ideal for them.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:14 AM, Shadow said:

Glad you caught it at least and your fish are ok. The water being all over is unfortunate but at least it wasn't a total loss. 

Yeah I’m thankful, but also annoyed. Tank is full and no leaks from the tank.. got one of the canisters up and running but unfortunately the larger of the two canisters is completely trashed. I have a 307 laying around but it isn’t nearly as big as this sunsun 704b.. Im moving the media over and praying.

On 8/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, lefty o said:

wow, that sucks big time. i would bet that air line is where it drained. if in doubt if the line will stay hooked on things, small zip ties can be cinched down over each connection ( think of it as a poor mans hose clamp).

The airline I was using was a cheaper black one, felt very malleable… I’m thinking that was a contributing factor as well.

• Sad 1

If you don’t have barbed fittings you need to clamp the hose in some way shape or form. Check valves also but that’s already been covered

The air pressure is enough to eventually push the tubing off.

The only other thing that could have caused this is a bad seal on the canisters. But usually it’s pretty obvious when that happens

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:57 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

If you don’t have barbed fittings you need to clamp the hose in some way shape or form. Check valves also but that’s already been covered

The air pressure is enough to eventually push the tubing off.

The only other thing that could have caused this is a bad seal on the canisters. But usually it’s pretty obvious when that happens

Yeah, Ill have to look extra close and make sure I get barbed ones in future. Just bizarre because this tank has been running as is for over a year. Crazy how things like this just happen  

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:45 AM, lefty o said:

wow, that sucks big time. i would bet that air line is where it drained. if in doubt if the line will stay hooked on things, small zip ties can be cinched down over each connection ( think of it as a poor mans hose clamp).

Great idea! I use great air tubing, at least I think the ACO air tubing is awesome, but this def could be a safety feature just in case. 

I’ve no help to offer, but I’ve lots of sympathy. I’m just getting started with my first “big” tank and something like that happening is one of my nightmares. I’m really sorry that happened and I’m really glad your fish are OK.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, EVoyager31 said:

The airline I was using was a cheaper black one, felt very malleable… I’m thinking that was a contributing factor as well.

Yea prob best to spring for the better quality product or maybe use Lefty's advice and rock the zip ties. Really sucks about your big canister being trashed tho... 😞 

On 8/13/2023 at 1:15 PM, Vicki said:

I’ve no help to offer, but I’ve lots of sympathy. I’m just getting started with my first “big” tank and something like that happening is one of my nightmares. I’m really sorry that happened and I’m really glad your fish are OK.

Use these posts and other, as unfortunate as they may be, as learning experiences for yourself. Doesn't necessarily mean it will ever happen to you but if you are anywhere close to being as OCD as I am, you will use a lot of the solutions that are to offer. Best of luck on your new tank! 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:30 AM, EVoyager31 said:

Yeah I’m thankful, but also annoyed. Tank is full and no leaks from the tank..

Yes, be thankful. The good news for my 75 gallon tank, it was a slow leak which gave me time to setup another tank. The bad news, I have to reseal a 75 gallon tank.

On 8/13/2023 at 4:54 PM, Janet C. said:

How would a check valve in the mid tube have prevented the water from siphoning out? Sorry - dumb question but I’m new and don’t have any check valves in my tubing….yet. 
do these valves prevent back flow by auto closing if they sense reverse flow?

Pretty much exactly that! Its *meant* to keep water from moving toward/into your airpump.. but had it not disconnected for me it would have saved me in this instance as well.

Highly recommend you pick some up!

I am sorry this happened to you. I read somewhere that check valves work best above water level. Because of what happened to you, I am securing my airlines with twist ties, as recommended above, and repositioning my check valves (2 for good measure) to ensure these are fixed above the water line.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

I am sorry this happened to you. I read somewhere that check valves work best above water level. Because of what happened to you, I am securing my airlines with twist ties, as recommended above, and repositioning my check valves (2 for good measure) to ensure these are fixed above the water line.

ABOVE THE WATER LINE. Maybe that was also a contributing factor.... moving the new ones now... lol.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 3:54 PM, Janet C. said:

How would a check valve in the mid tube have prevented the water from siphoning out? Sorry - dumb question but I’m new and don’t have any check valves in my tubing….yet. 
do these valves prevent back flow by auto closing if they sense reverse flow?

because it stops the movement of air. same principle as putting your finger over a straw in your drink and pulling it up out of the cup. it'll hold water until you take your finger off the straw. when the valve see's reverse flow, yes the little flapper in it closes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:25 PM, Galabar said:

What do you use the air pump for?  Maybe just ditch it completely.

To aerate the water / surface agitation for my goldfish. My canister is too powerful to aim at the surface, so I aim it at the back wall to soften the blow and use the bubbles for extra O2 and surface agitation. I see a noticeable difference in the fish's behavior when I have it vs don't

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:30 AM, EVoyager31 said:

have that is attached to an airstone came loose from the check valve… and there was some water in the airline.. is THAT what caused this?

I am so sorry you experienced this. I have also. An airline can drain a 20 g halfway in under an hour. 

The upside is your tank is fine. I hope you do not have much permanent damage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of the check valve information is really good to know, as most of us have (or plan to have) additional air lines flowing into our tanks regardless of the filtration we prefer. I for one will be very sure to keep the check valves above the water line and secured with clamping or zip ties. I may even run a zip tie on either end of the check valve and then run a zip tie past the check valve on either side to tie the first two zip ties together! Thanks.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:43 AM, Shadow said:

20230813_094245.jpg

Yeah.  Basically you have to keep an eye on certain types of airline tubing.  It's so tempting to reuse it, but if you can't "grip" the nozzle it will be a bit easier to leak/fall off.  If you have something that was on a check valve (normally big nozzles) and then you have it harden over time and you go to use that on an airstone, then you end up with an open end and a floating airstone.

When you do use airline, cut off a good 3-5" minimum and and then consider if it is worth reusing.  Thankfully the stuff is cheap.

Hot tip though for anyone, especially @EVoyager31 I use 3-4 suction cups per airline drop in my setups.  1 at the top of the tank to hold thing in place when I move the airstone, one at the bottom of the tank to hold the airstone (same thing for sponge filters.... one where it enters the tank, and one along the tank where it routes cleanly) and then the trick is to ALSO do that on the outside of the glass.  They work great to hold things in place and you likely will have less issues long term trying to reach behind a tank or something. 

It is very unfortunate about the whole situation.  You can look into an impeller replacement (impeller + shaft on those) and potentially that resolves the dead filter.  If it's within warranty, it might be worth calling then and seeing if they can help you out. 

HOPEFULLY everything is ok and you never have it happen again.  On the bright side... tank is ok it seems like.

• Like 3