Sources for more advanced/niche fishkeeping content?

River

Hi! I’ve been keeping fish in planted tanks for a few years and I’m starting to scrape the bottom of the education available from most YouTube channels and Google searches, as most of it is geared for beginners.  I’d like to start learning more advanced things, particularly about bettas and aquarium microfauna.  Anybody have suggestions for a turbo nerd like me?

• Like 1

Glad you’ve joined the dark side. In all honesty things have only started getting easier as I have introduced diverse fauna and flora to my tanks.

As far as information though, you aren’t going to find much in the form of digestible content. As you mentioned that content is geared towards beginners so it steers clear of the weeds so to speak.

Unfortunately you will have to jump off the deep end. And by that I mean google scholar…. There are a couple Barons publishing company books that go into biotope scaping and microfauna but they are extremely limited in scope usually.

I pretty much only watch Cory and Serpa design. I watch serpa for design ideas not so much knowledge and Cory has always been a big nerd so his insights regardless of your experience level always has been refreshing. 

[Not just saying that because these are his forums either]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Glad you’ve joined the dark side. In all honesty things have only started getting easier as I have introduced diverse fauna and flora to my tanks.

As far as information though, you aren’t going to find much in the form of digestible content. As you mentioned that content is geared towards beginners so it steers clear of the weeds so to speak.

Unfortunately you will have to jump off the deep end. And by that I mean google scholar…. There are a couple Barons publishing company books that go into biotope scaping and microfauna but they are extremely limited in scope usually.

I pretty much only watch Cory and Serpa design. I watch serpa for design ideas not so much knowledge and Cory has always been a big nerd so his insights regardless of your experience level always has been refreshing. 

[Not just saying that because these are his forums either]

Is this how you reply to comments? I’m new here lol. And thanks for the advice! I’ll check out some research papers.  And I agree that “advanced” fishkeeping doesn’t necessarily mean “harder”. That’s why I want to know more, because a mature, healthy ecosystem=happy, healthy, beautiful plants and fish.

• Like 2

One thing that helped me consider more complex concepts in aquaria was to start to check out the marine channels (well before I put together my first marine tank).  There is a large vendor based in Minnesota that has a bunch of content that is quite advanced.  Some of it is not applicable to freshwater, of course.  But other stuff is.  The microfauna stuff has really been taking off on the salty side of the hobby, and I think much of it would benefit FW keepers too.  Check out the stuff on "Biome Cycling" your tank.  It was almost inspiring enough for me to try to get together with a buddy and try to isolate some benthic FW copepods (likely Canthocamptidae) for use in FW aquariums.  Sadly, it doesn't look like this summer will be the one.  But, I do believe that many of the benefits of marine pods can be observed in FW tanks too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/6/2023 at 12:27 PM, River said:

I’d like to start learning more advanced things, particularly about bettas and aquarium microfauna.  Anybody have suggestions for a turbo nerd like me?

simply betta has some good stuff.  She does get into a bit of the "nitty gritty" in some videos.  Creative Petkeeping as well has some good content on bettas with respect to fine details.  Both of them would recommend..... https://www.youtube.com/@Skylrrider

Biotopia is an interesting channel to follow for general information on natural habitats.  Jimmy mentioned a betta keeper who sent him fish from his home country, which may also be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kyleledotnet

This is another betta channel with wild species and information on them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv0rLo7OwyLsd-LEGQ6o_iQ

@Biotope Biologist what do you recommend for learning about small critters!? (apart from your journal of awesome things. 🙂

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 7:14 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

One thing that helped me consider more complex concepts in aquaria was to start to check out the marine channels (well before I put together my first marine tank).  There is a large vendor based in Minnesota that has a bunch of content that is quite advanced.  Some of it is not applicable to freshwater, of course.  But other stuff is.  The microfauna stuff has really been taking off on the salty side of the hobby, and I think much of it would benefit FW keepers too.  Check out the stuff on "Biome Cycling" your tank.  It was almost inspiring enough for me to try to get together with a buddy and try to isolate some benthic FW copepods (likely Canthocamptidae) for use in FW aquariums.  Sadly, it doesn't look like this summer will be the one.  But, I do believe that many of the benefits of marine pods can be observed in FW tanks too. 

Yes! I’ve been wanting to try to get some small benthic creatures in my tanks and have been a little nervous about trying to collect them because I’m worried I might collect from somewhere that is polluted. How are you planning on collecting your copepods?

On 8/6/2023 at 8:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m not big into YouTube but I saw 1 or two Father Fish videos talking about how to obtain a balanced ecosystem by wild collecting your microorganisms. 

He’s the one that got me thinking about it!

On 8/6/2023 at 7:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

simply betta has some good stuff.  She does get into a bit of the "nitty gritty" in some videos.  Creative Petkeeping as well has some good content on bettas with respect to fine details.  Both of them would recommend..... https://www.youtube.com/@Skylrrider

Biotopia is an interesting channel to follow for general information on natural habitats.  Jimmy mentioned a betta keeper who sent him fish from his home country, which may also be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kyleledotnet

This is another betta channel with wild species and information on them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv0rLo7OwyLsd-LEGQ6o_iQ

@Biotope Biologist what do you recommend for learning about small critters!? (apart from your journal of awesome things. 🙂

I love Simply Betta and Creative Petkeeping! Thank you for the other recommendations; I’ll check them out.

• Like 4

On 8/6/2023 at 1:20 PM, River said:

Is this how you reply to comments?

Yes hahaha. I believe that alot of scientists are too stuffy and rigid, I aim to have a more relaxed approach. And hopefully entertaining too.

Anyway lots of good suggestions here. And since you are new here you will find that even the nerdiest of us all tend to take a similar approach to the hobby. This is a friendly open minded community.

@nabokovfan87 yeah tbh I am not sure. I have oscillated multiple times on starting videos to explain more in depth ideas. And have multiple videos of myself talking at screens. It all feels so foreign and weird so haven’t taken the plunge to uploading any of it. It’s not popular.

I mean even discussing that most leech interactions with vertebrates seem to be hitchhiking rather than parasitism is met with heavy backlash…

But I digress. I think it would be good to have someone who can digest scientific articles, which let’s be honest are a slog. I just don’t know if that person is me.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 8/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

@nabokovfan87 yeah tbh I am not sure. I have oscillated multiple times on starting videos to explain more in depth ideas. And have multiple videos of myself talking at screens. It all feels so foreign and weird so haven’t taken the plunge to uploading any of it. It’s not popular.

Maybe upload one as "unlisted" and post it somewhere to get feedback?  Honestly, you're a wealth of knowledge and it's a side of the hobby many (meaning no one) has any real quality guides on.  I think you'd be a lot like Rachel O'Leary in content style, profiles, and just interesting things.  I mean that as a sincere compliment as her videos were extremely informative on fine details.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I mean even discussing that most leech interactions with vertebrates seem to be hitchhiking rather than parasitism is met with heavy backlash…

Just turn off comments then....

• Like 3

On 8/6/2023 at 10:26 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I have oscillated multiple times on starting videos to explain more in depth ideas. And have multiple videos of myself talking at screens. It all feels so foreign and weird so haven’t taken the plunge to uploading any of it. It’s not popular.

I would be happy to be a test audience. The understanding of ecosystems even by non science folks has come along way from the days of goldfish in bowls and betta in vases. 
The only reason it has is because fantastic folks like you share knowledge and remove the fear. 
I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the receptiveness of todays hobbyist towards understanding. 
I remember only a handful of years ago most folks I talked to still thought pest snails, ostracods and copepods were reasons to nuke tanks. Now the scales have tipped to where most understand the benefit or are at least open to the idea that microfauna are not pests. 
I remember the first time I heard you speak of you video venture I became very excited. 
This would be a resource for the fish community that is not readily available…yet. 🤗

• Like 5

On 8/6/2023 at 8:59 PM, River said:

I’m worried I might collect from somewhere that is polluted. How are you planning on collecting your copepods?

I wouldn't worry about pollution.  Isolating the benthic critters you want is the first challenge, then culturing them is likely to be a significant hurdle too.  By the time you are done getting that to work, the pollution will be negligible.  Besides, copepods are often considered biological indicators, so you'll find fewer in really polluted areas anyhow.  If you go for it, start a thread here so we can build knowledge on how to go about this process.  When I can collect, I'll join in! 

On 8/6/2023 at 9:26 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

yeah tbh I am not sure. I have oscillated multiple times on starting videos to explain more in depth ideas. And have multiple videos of myself talking at screens. It all feels so foreign and weird so haven’t taken the plunge to uploading any of it. It’s not popular.

Do it!  I've seen a video with you in it.  You'll be fine.  And just start by not reading below the line.  😉

Edited by OnlyGenusCaps
spell correction corrected to the wrong word
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:26 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Yes hahaha. I believe that alot of scientists are too stuffy and rigid, I aim to have a more relaxed approach. And hopefully entertaining too.

Anyway lots of good suggestions here. And since you are new here you will find that even the nerdiest of us all tend to take a similar approach to the hobby. This is a friendly open minded community.

But I digress. I think it would be good to have someone who can digest scientific articles, which let’s be honest are a slog. I just don’t know if that person is me.

Leeches get an unnecessary bad rap.  People freak out about being bitten by a leech, which doesn’t transmit disease in North America, but a mosquito bite is just like “eh that’s annoying” and mosquitos totally do carry disease. Do you have a YouTube channel?

On 8/6/2023 at 11:06 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I like Fishtory (formerly known as the Secret History Living Inside Your Aquarium) for deep dives on plants and micro critters.

https://m.youtube.com/@Fishtory

I love Alexander. He’s who has gotten me interested in understanding my ecosystems better.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 9:49 AM, River said:

Do you have a YouTube channel?

Yeah under the same name but it’s set to private. I have a bunch of rough edits I want to reshoot if I do take the plunge.

There is also a lot of misinformation and marine biologists on social media that I don’t exactly approve of. And fighting my way through it seems a challenge. Even the myth that oarfish are incredibly rare creatures. These people have never been in the field. How would they know? Just about every deep sea sample I pulled I found some species of ribbonfish. The truly rare ones have never even been photographed and my dichotomous key is just a crude drawing. I digress. 

On 8/6/2023 at 7:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Just turn off comments then....

I have thick skin enough to survive detractors haha. 

Well anyway didn’t mean to tangent with self-promotion. I hope you find the above resources helpful! And if it hasn’t already been said welcome to the forums! It is one of the few genuinely safe spaces on the internet to express yourself.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 8/7/2023 at 10:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I wouldn't worry about pollution.  Isolating the benthic critters you want is the first challenge, then culturing them is likely to be a significant hurdle too.  By the time you are done getting that to work, the pollution will be negotiable.  Besides, copepods are often considered biological indicators, so you'll find fewer in really polluted areas anyhow.  If you go for it, start a thread here so we can build knowledge on how to go about this process.  When I can collect, I'll join in! 

Do it!  I've seen a video with you in it.  You'll be fine.  And just start by not reading below the line.  😉

Thanks! I think I’ll give it a try.

• Like 2

@River a thought for you though not internet research. Find where the closest fish club is if you can. The folks there are a plethora of information and a great source for microfauna. 
At different times I run microfauna cultures as well as many club folks. They are great feed for fry and small fish. Right now I have an ostracod (seed shrimp) / copepod culture running. 

• Love 1