Latest Innovation / Product / Accessory as of 2023

Marcelo

Hi Everyone, 

I was playing around eBay and Amazon and looking for the Latest Innovation / Product / Accessory .. things that I never saw and etc.

The only thing that I am seeing a lot are those beautiful hanging lights ! I saw a beautiful metallic skimmer and that is it. 

I tried to search for 2023 Aquarium Trends and nothing as well.

This makes me think if there is no space for innovations in our hobby ….

Thoughts ?? Is there something you saw lately that I am missing ?

Edited by Marcelo

On 7/17/2023 at 6:42 PM, Marcelo said:

Hi Everyone, 

I was playing around eBay and Amazon and looking for the Latest Innovation / Product / Accessory .. things that I never saw and etc.

The only thing that I am seeing a lot are those beautiful hanging lights ! I saw a beautiful metallic skimmer and that is it. 

I tried to search for 2023 Aquarium Trends and nothing as well.

This makes me think if there is no space for innovations in our hobby ….

Thoughts ??

I'm sure there is- Cory probably has a ton of ideas! I am the opposite, lol! I'm trying to replace all my tanks with the metaframe ones and I'm always on the hunt for metaframe and similar older accessories.

20230514_203907.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

Most aquarium innovations are reinventions of the wheel. I guess it depends on how loosely you define innovation. 

I wouldn't mind having an LED version of  @smm333's full  hood.  They weren't safe, and they could keep your coffee warm, but they were otherwise a good product.  

Earlier this year, I saw someone make themselves a strainer of sorts that fit perfectly in the corner of their aquarium, below the lid, attached to the rim. It just stayed there, snug and secure, making adding water back into the aquarium very simple.

Sadly, it was someone's personal project (with a 3D printer) so it's not available to the public as far as I know. But it looked so handy and useful! 

On 7/18/2023 at 10:15 AM, Miranda Marie said:

Earlier this year, I saw someone make themselves a strainer of sorts that fit perfectly in the corner of their aquarium, below the lid, attached to the rim. It just stayed there, snug and secure, making adding water back into the aquarium very simple.

Sadly, it was someone's personal project (with a 3D printer) so it's not available to the public as far as I know. But it looked so handy and useful! 

If you can use a drill you can make something similar from a plastic or acrylic measuring cup.  Use the handle to hang it on the side of the tank and pour the water into it to prevent disturbing the substrate or plants.

image.png.f50152bb0d2f8bbcb1f712a52c9d06de.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

With innovation I meant new products that you never saw before. 

Examples of innovation:  led lights that can be scheduled and have their intensities and etc adjusted according to the time of the day. Those led panel you can put behind your aquarium. 

In-line CO2 diffuser maybe? Not sure when this was “put on sales” for the first time .

Stainless steel skimmers are a design innovation.

Those attached skimmers that go inline with the inflow canister line …

Edited by Marcelo

On 7/18/2023 at 8:09 AM, Tanked said:

Most aquarium innovations are reinventions of the wheel. I guess it depends on how loosely you define innovation. 

I wouldn't mind having an LED version of  @smm333's full  hood.  They weren't safe, and they could keep your coffee warm, but they were otherwise a good product.  

You could probably purchase an LED light bar and glue it into the hood where the bulbs go!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 7:47 PM, smm333 said:

You could probably purchase an LED light bar and glue it into the hood where the bulbs go!

about what i did with my 120. the original hood had 2 48" flourescent tubes in it. i gutted that out, and made a few small notches for the legs, and a small notch for the cord, and stuffed an LED light bar under it. so much nicer, and runs cooler to boot.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 12:15 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You’re looking in the wrong places. I’ve been testing a new horizontal CO2 reactor and watching the evolution of a CO2 spray bar. You should look at the new Netlea lights also. They are insane.

Cool !!! Do you suggest some other forum, site or something that I should keep my eyes on ?

On 7/18/2023 at 4:09 PM, Tanked said:

I replaced my tubes with led tubes a few years back they have made them to fit into the original tube fittings . Are they not available your side of the pond?

I miss the little tink the odd fluorescent tubes made

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:18 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I replaced my tubes with led tubes a few years back they have made them to fit into the original tube fittings . Are they not available your side of the pond?

I miss the little tink the odd fluorescent tubes made

18" LED daylight tubes are hard to come by, and expensive.  48" tubes are common.