Easiest way to initially fill a 75 gallon?

Dork Fish

So all i currently have is a 75 gallon and a small siphon (for a 10 gallon). I could fill the 5 gallon bucket, walk it across the house, elevate it, siphon water into tank, and repeat 15 (realistically 16-17 due to not filling the bucket to the brim) more times.

There has got to be a better trick though, maybe even one that doesn't include buying a submersible pump and hose.

Any thoughts here?

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 My house is pretty small actually, so not anywhere closer to put it without the tank being inconvenient. Currently it is in the living room where a TV and entertainment center might go, which will be great for the family and guests to view 🙂

couldn't use a bathroom sink or shower without some sort of attachment.

@Dork Fish I understand... I am using a hose on the outside of the house to feed through a window I have to remove the screen whenever I use that to fill the tank.  Needless to say I don't use the python too much!  The other tank locations I had in the house, hose through the front door to get water access.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 11:28 PM, Dork Fish said:

@nabokovfan87 Is there not a difference between outside hose tap and indoor sink tap?

Possibly, if you have a water softener, but otherwise it's all the same water.  I've stuck a hose through an open window to fill a tank a number of times, and water from the hose is all my outside tubs get (except for when it rains, of course).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:08 AM, Dork Fish said:

There has got to be a better trick though, maybe even one that doesn't include buying a submersible pump and hose.

A small submersible pump cost $15 or less on amazon, why is this an issue? I would not skimp on the water change system for a 75 gallon tank, spend the money upfront for an effective system that works for you.

You could stick this pump on the wall to remove the desired amount of water, just pump it out a window. 

• Like 1

I use the outside hose through a window when filling tanks over 30 gallons.  I have one 55 Gal tank next to the window so when I was filling and rinsing the gravel, etc I just ran the suction hose out the window also.  No difference in inside or outside water for me on city water.

The python is worth every penny. I use one and have to use a 50 ft hose on it but I would not full a 75 gallon without it. I probably don’t water change enough as it is and if I had to use a bucket or even a trash can, it would never get done.

I use buckets, a small electric pump and the PVC hook for filling.  I still have to carry the buckets, but I need only pick them up high enough to carry them.

House tap water as opposed to outside tap water tap water:  As already mentioned, it is the same water if you do not have a water softener.

If you are referring to the fixture itself, than you will find that the connecting threads are different.  Adapters are readily available.  The biggest benefit to using an outside tap, is that it will likely fill faster.  Outside taps don't nearly as many restrictions as indoor plumbing.

On 7/12/2023 at 10:00 AM, Goosedub said:

The python is worth every penny. I use one and have to use a 50 ft hose on it but I would not full a 75 gallon without it. I probably don’t water change enough as it is and if I had to use a bucket or even a trash can, it would never get done.

amen! once you get to 55 and larger some sort of water change system is really needed. i like the python, but a big bucket and pump would also suffice.

Well a water hose it is then LOL I am on city water so should be exact same water as from the sink.

@Tommy Vercetti You just saved me a ton of heartache 🙂 Is the black piece 3D printed? If so, I might have a reason to fire up the old Prusa LOL

One question that I do have for everyone is: How would you dechlorinate if filling straight from hose? Do you just add the dechlorinate to the tank before hand, then fill?

I always add dechlorinator right as the fill water starts to hit the tank, and I dose for the whole volume of the tank. 

I’m sure there’s an argument for dosing after you’ve filled the tank, but my habit is to dose at the beginning of the fill. It’s simply the habit I’ve built over the past 3 years and haven’t had a single issue doing it this way. I’m not changing habits now, lol. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:45 PM, Dork Fish said:

Well a water hose it is then LOL I am on city water so should be exact same water as from the sink.

@Tommy Vercetti You just saved me a ton of heartache 🙂 Is the black piece 3D printed? If so, I might have a reason to fire up the old Prusa LOL

One question that I do have for everyone is: How would you dechlorinate if filling straight from hose? Do you just add the dechlorinate to the tank before hand, then fill?

Yes it is 3d printed. Fire up the prusa!

I add declorinator when I add the new water. Right before turning on the tap. 

On 7/12/2023 at 12:45 PM, Dork Fish said:

yep.  I use seachem safe just because I have some.  dose the size of the tank, then add to the tank any amount of water you need to. try to match temp as best you can (meaning... just change water when it's not blazing hot outsize and the groundwater is like lava).

• Thanks 1