How many discus in a 75 gal?

1 hour ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to restock my 75 gallon with discus and possibly Cardinal / Emperor tetras. The layout I am hoping to do is moderately planted with decent cover. I have a ph of 7-7.5, 0 nitrates and nitrites, kh of 80 and gh of 60. Would this work? Thanks in advance!

the PH is a little high for discus, discus like it at 6-7. as far as how many I would do 6 discus.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

When you put driftwood in your aquarium, how do you prevent the Tanis from making your aquarium water into tea?

Soak it for a few days then change the water and repeat. That should take care of most of the tannins. Once in the tank water changes will take care of the rest. Just remember Discus come from water loaded with tannins so they won't complain about the water being a little tea colored.

• Like 1

Just be sure to get high quality, tank raised discus. They are actually quite hardy if you get fish from the right source, even able to breed in alkaline water.

Tank maintenance is top priority with discus as well as keeping them really toasty. They do not like a dirty tank.

Edited by varanidguy

I wouldn't worry about the pH of your water if you are getting some quality tank raised discus. The only time when I kept discus that I worried about messing with the pH was when I first got in my wild caught ones and when I was wanting to spawn them and the domestics I had. Otherwise, they lived in my normal tap water, which had a pH of 7.2-7.6. In a 75 gallon, you could keep a nice group of 6 comfortably.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures when you get them in.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

I had the best luck with nickel size or smaller discus when starting with discus.

@DanielI don’t know of any of the better Discus distributors selling smaller than  2.5” fish. Anything that small would probably come from a local breeder. 

Edited by Paul

• 3 weeks later...

We keep discus in pH around 7.8. They’re happy. 55 gal, 2x large sponge filters, extra air for circulation. Water changes 50% 1x per week. They like it hot. Ours are happiest around 87-degrees F. At that high temperature, you’ll want to watch out for plants “melting.” For breeding, pH needs to be low. Having soft water is preferable. We do buy ours pretty small and let them grow and adjust to our water. 

On 12/1/2020 at 11:07 AM, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

I ended up loosing the last one recently. Due to my slow reaction to the parasites, it was too advanced for the meds to make a difference. At least now I know what to do next time. What about you?

@Patrick M. Bodega AquaticsMine are preparing to breed, or at least they are beginning to pair up. I am sorry for the trouble you had with your last batch, but I thought you had ordered some new one for the 75 gallon?