55 gallon fish tank leaking?

Sora

I got a 55 gallon tank off of Facebook market place, they said it held water a few months ago and they were selling it because they were moving. I left it outside and it got an inch of rainwater in it. When I went to take it inside to set it up, the few inches of rainwater started to leak when we turned the tank diagonal vertically to get it through a doorway. I noticed and brought it outside to leak test. I filled it all the way up and so far it does not seem to be leaking at all. 
should I reseal it anyway? Did the water leak just because it was on its side?

On 6/28/2023 at 9:33 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's difficult to say.  I'd recommend leak testing outside on a flat surface.

I’m gonna see what happens overnight, I marked where the water line was with marker.

• Like 1

I went to check on the tank and the water level has not changed at all. Will it be fine? The stand does not have a filled in middle part (idk how 2 describe it). Did it leak just because it was in a orientation that it was not meant for? 

0B9D4AB6-E014-4E49-923E-11685DE0BC64.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Sora

It will *probably* be fine, but it’s scary, isn’t it! While leak testing, I like to wipe off the whole outside of the tank (after I fill it and let it sit) so it’s bone dry, then take tissues or paper towels and run them over the seams to see if I can find any water. If the tissue comes back damp, I would blot the water away and see if it comes back in a minute or two. It’s possible the first leak you saw was just water that had pooled in the rim after the rain. But better safe than sorry!!

• Like 1

Could the water have come from the black plastic frame on the *outside* of the tank? Turning the tank sideways would have allowed that water to leak out.  You can test that by spraying water on the outside of the tank (on the trim) and see if it retains any water.

On 6/29/2023 at 6:25 PM, Galabar said:

Could the water have come from the black plastic frame on the *outside* of the tank?

Collected rain, a gap in the sealant holding the top rim on... anything is possible. I would set up the tank outside on two or three 2x4s. Carefully fill the tank and wait a at least 24 hours.  Even f you don't see any signs of dampness I would still follow this up with the tissue test @Hobbit mentioned.

Ok I drained the tank and brought it upstairs on to the stand. I checked the evenness with a level, and it was slightly off so not completely level. Is that okay for this large of a tank? My 20 gallon is the same. But so is my bed frame so I assume my house is not completely level 🤔

5876FC5D-EC46-4EA9-94EA-D33AE0DC08CC.jpeg

On 6/30/2023 at 8:01 PM, Val said:

How long is your level?  If it's 3' that should be fine.  Otherwise, go with what DaveO said.

Do you mean the yellow party with the bubble? Sorry I’m not very good with construction stuff. It’s about 1.5 inches long or 3.5 centimeters long. And yes standard 4 foot 55 gal

Edited by Sora

On 6/30/2023 at 8:20 PM, Sora said:

Do you mean the yellow party with the bubble? Sorry I’m not very good with construction stuff. It’s about 1.5 inches long or 3.5 centimeters long. And yes standard 4 foot 55 gal

What you are using is called a level.  You're using it correctly.  How long is the total piece of equipment (not just the width of the yellow chamber.). If the tool is 3' long it is a much more stable measurement.  If the level is 7" the measurement is not going to be as reliable.    If you're using a 7" level, I'd shim your tank.  If the level in the pic is a 3' level, I'd leave the tank as is.

• Like 1

I would want to know how old the tank was and if it ever sat dry for any length of time, or been moved. I bought my 55 gallon tank in October of 2001! It's never been moved or emptied/dry. I did start getting nervous about the possibility of it developing leaks due to its age, although it will probably be good for another 20 years. I was having too much anxiety thinking about 55 gallons of water flooding my living room so I decided it was time for an upgrade. But I also really, really, REALLY wanted a bigger aquarium without the rim and that was a big deciding factor as well.

On 6/30/2023 at 9:33 PM, Val said:

What you are using is called a level.  You're using it correctly.  How long is the total piece of equipment (not just the width of the yellow chamber.). If the tool is 3' long it is a much more stable measurement.  If the level is 7" the measurement is not going to be as reliable.    If you're using a 7" level, I'd shim your tank.  If the level in the pic is a 3' level, I'd leave the tank as is.

Its a big level, like 25 inches. But I decided to shim the tank, I think it would be best because I have wooden floors and good to be on the safe side 🙂

On 7/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, Monkeypoint said:

I would want to know how old the tank was and if it ever sat dry for any length of time, or been moved. I bought my 55 gallon tank in October of 2001! It's never been moved or emptied/dry. I did start getting nervous about the possibility of it developing leaks due to its age, although it will probably be good for another 20 years. I was having too much anxiety thinking about 55 gallons of water flooding my living room so I decided it was time for an upgrade. But I also really, really, REALLY wanted a bigger aquarium without the rim and that was a big deciding factor as well.

I was thinking of that. I got the tank from a lady who’s parents had passed and were selling everything in the house. Apparently the grandpa was a fish enthusiast and had a lot of 55 gallon tanks. She said that the tank we had had held water up to like 3-6 months ago, (I forget what she said.) when they drained it. And we did move, it about 40 min in the car. I have reason to believe the tank was pretty old though, because it came with 14 year expired fish medicine and sealant.