White cloud minnows breeding and tips on the fry

beastie

Finally after many many attempts, where I left the minnows in a breeder boxes or just for few hours, I left 5 whiteclouds in a tank for 3 days and after 5-7 days I have fry. I have very little and I didnt even expect that. I have maybe 5 that I can see, in a 54liters, which presents a feeding problem

They are tiny and there arent too many, so I am afraid if I feed too little, they wont all find it, and if I feed too much, the tank will need constant cleaning. As you can see already the tank is a mess. Today I will do a water change, it is my first time trying to avoid any fry. Will try to siphon through bbs nets to be on the safe side.

I have hikari first bites and microworms, not sure if they are even capable of eating the microworms, so I will alternate and feed three times a day (isnt that too much?). I think it is too late to try to culture infusoria, right? The tank is mature, full of rabbit snails, had lettuce in for 24 hours since yesterday to feed the snails, maybe some infusoria happened anyway. I saw several videos, so for bbs I have 7 more days at least before they are able to accept it.

Any other tips? Also at what point can I add them to the parents, given the tank the parents are in has high flow and this tank has higher temperature and no flow

Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 4:15 AM, beastie said:

Finally after many many attempts, where I left the minnows in a breeder boxes or just for few hours, I left 5 whiteclouds in a tank for 3 days and after 5-7 days I have fry. I have very little and I didnt even expect that. I have maybe 5 that I can see, in a 54liters, which presents a feeding problem

They are tiny and there arent too many, so I am afraid if I feed too little, they wont all find it, and if I feed too much, the tank will need constant cleaning. As you can see already the tank is a mess. Today I will do a water change, it is my first time trying to avoid any fry. Will try to siphon through bbs nets to be on the safe side.

I have hikari first bites and microworms, not sure if they are even capable of eating the microworms, so I will alternate and feed three times a day (isnt that too much?). I think it is too late to try to culture infusoria, right? The tank is mature, full of rabbit snails, had lettuce in for 24 hours since yesterday to feed the snails, maybe some infusoria happened anyway. I saw several videos, so for bbs I have 7 more days at least before they are able to accept it.

Any other tips? Also at what point can I add them to the parents, given the tank the parents are in has high flow and this tank has higher temperature and no flow

Thanks

Congratulations!

When changing water, I use several pantyhose leggings to keep fry safe. Siphoning into a bucket rather than using a Python or pump may be safer. But honestly… you may want to hold off on water changes for a week or two. Fry are acclimated to the present chemistry. 

Micro worms should be a good start. Vinegar eels are small too. A touch of fry powder — either Sera Micron, or New Life Spectrum GROW fry starter are excellent.

Three times a day is fine. Just don’t overfeed. They’re so tiny!

Tagging @WhitecloudDynasty for his advice. Check out his YouTube channel for excellent info on White Clouds and other species.

I only did 9 or so liters out of a 54liter tank so should be not that bad of a chemistry change. I also poured in with airline hose through an anubias leaf so to not create a current.

Will see how it goes, I cant tell if they are eating the microworms, I did feed the first bites, I also have sera vipan baby, will grind it a bit more, should work. And in few days will hatch bbs. I will need to hatch it later in the afternoon, I always do morning hatch and next morning all is hatched, but maybe it is already large ,maybe if I move the timing ,there will be  freshly hatched bbs smaller than the one in the afternoon

And I recently discovered tiny mosquito larvae that I can scoop out with my bbs net, so once the fry gets bigger ,they will also get that

Excited. but the food will be hard to distribute, 5 teeny tiny fry in whole damn big tank...ah well

3 hours ago, WhitecloudDynasty said:

You got snail so I wouldn't worry too much about over feeding. They are too small for anything other than fine powder food. I normally keep my fry with their parents so if you have to introduce them I would wait atleast 4 month and make sure the parents are full with food.

Wow four months? I was hoping to maybe breed some more and put some of the adults back here for other round of eggs after two months, but maybe will not risk it.

I seem to be doing ok feeding them hikari first bites, microworms and some dried culture that I am keeping in a jar of tank water of rotifera and infusoria (sold in granules here, one should have aeration with it, I dont and without microscope cant say if I breed any, but the water is milky and the fry is constantly with full belly, so I guess it is ok)

I had a laugh when I hatched bbs and noticed the fry is about as big as the bbs itself 😄 

They grew in the few days, so excited 

• Love 1

On 6/23/2023 at 4:08 AM, beastie said:

Wow four months? I was hoping to maybe breed some more and put some of the adults back here for other round of eggs after two months, but maybe will not risk it.

I seem to be doing ok feeding them hikari first bites, microworms and some dried culture that I am keeping in a jar of tank water of rotifera and infusoria (sold in granules here, one should have aeration with it, I dont and without microscope cant say if I breed any, but the water is milky and the fry is constantly with full belly, so I guess it is ok)

I had a laugh when I hatched bbs and noticed the fry is about as big as the bbs itself 😄 

They grew in the few days, so excited 

Itll be a good little bit before they can eat bbs. I normally raise my fry up with their parents 

On 6/29/2023 at 2:24 PM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

Itll be a good little bit before they can eat bbs. I normally raise my fry up with their parents 

Three out of four are already accepting it. The fourth is smallest, I dont know if I even had a fifth. The forth is getting green water and microworms and dried food, the rest are stuffed with bbs 🙂

I initially expected the minnows to breed in the main tank too, but as you told me, too large tank, too large flow and not enough quiet corners near the surface means they wont survive the hatching stage. If they lived on the bottom, they would have a chance, but on the top of the tank, too much space, too much flow, too many minnows 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

So, the largest of the fry ( larger by half than the smallest) is getting sort of nippy and brutal against the other fry. I caught it and moved it in a breeder box in the main tank to check the size against the adults

Could I add it to the main tank or will they eat it

Please advise

IMG-1282.JPG

IMG-1283.JPG

IMG-1284.JPG

IMG-1286.JPG

• Love 1

I went ahead and released the fry. No issues, no notice, no aggression, part of the shoal right away.

The tank has turbulent water flow, whereas the nursery has no flow, so that will be an adjustment. That and feeding. But all good. The other three fry I will feed up in the nursery to be at least that size and then I may try again for breeding!! Yay

On 7/14/2023 at 6:41 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Given the fish, I would just feed repashy powder. I would lean towards the spirulina versions like soilent green or super green.

Repashy for fish is not sold here. For geckos, yes, for fish, didnt find a supplier yet

I always crushed up freeze dried bloodworms. They ate bloodworms well then when they got older I fed them flakes. Just test out multiple things and if they don’t like one thing then try another. I only kept mine in a separate container for about 3 weeks and they were pretty big then because it took me a while to discover them. Also if you don’t I would recommend buying a cheap turkey baster to suck the poop out of the adult tank. They tend to get a bit dirty if they don’t eat the food. Just make sure you don’t suck them up with it. Have a great day!

Edited by Taco Playz

• 3 weeks later...

So, out of the four fry one looks not good

Is it my feeding ,genetics, is there something I can do?

Instead of round the fish is narrow, the mouth seems off and it is not actie much and stays on top at the surface in the plants

I caught it easily and moved it to a net in another tank to watch more carefully. I wonder what can I do

IMG-1385.JPG

IMG-1386.JPG

IMG-1387.JPG

On 8/7/2023 at 5:28 AM, beastie said:

So, out of the four fry one looks not good

Is it my feeding ,genetics, is there something I can do?

Instead of round the fish is narrow, the mouth seems off and it is not actie much and stays on top at the surface in the plants

I caught it easily and moved it to a net in another tank to watch more carefully. I wonder what can I do

IMG-1385.JPG

IMG-1386.JPG

IMG-1387.JPG

Looks like a start of waste away disease. I also get that ever now and then. I would normally treat the whole aquarium with an antibiotic/dewormer fish food for 14 days. Seem to be work well.

Antibiotic I use is gram negative so it doesn't hurt your cycle 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 10:48 AM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

Looks like a start of waste away disease. I also get that ever now and then. I would normally treat the whole aquarium with an antibiotic/dewormer fish food for 14 days. Seem to be work well.

Antibiotic I use is gram negative so it doesn't hurt your cycle 

We dont have antibiotics or dewormers here available since the EU ban and vets are not ok to prescribe dog dewormers. However I took this fish, put it in my indostomus/shrimp tank, fed every day heavily bbs and microworms, and in week and half it looks healthy as before and was moved back to parents. Hopefully the feeding regime will be able to battle out the illness

• Like 1

How are things going? You may be able to order some meds on something like eBay in an emergency. They do have some esha meds too available.

Bacterial med - kanaplex is the common one or maracyn 2 (these are brand names not the actual med names, my apologies)

Internal parasite med - Common one is levamisole or praziquantel but sold under many names. Esha gdex is one of the common ones.

Screenshot_20230825-075500.png

Edited by nabokovfan87