Favorite local spot

One of my favorite spots in my patrol area, I come here at least once every shift to check out what’s going on. It’s the loading zone for an abandoned Sam’s Club that stays flooded all year unless it’s during a summer drought. Always full of frogs, tadpoles, oarsmen, water striders, pond snails, etc. I’ll frequently find raccoons, herons, and snakes hunting here too. The only substrate/nutrients is the stuff that the rain washes in but plants always seem to look good.

5955C61B-5265-4274-8E60-B04259E26EB4.jpeg

A5779DF5-061A-4664-A070-16C3D1FB10CC.jpeg

C548CEB7-8CDC-4D75-BB76-E2438443A4D3.jpeg

573E4060-2C53-4EDC-B8C7-7F28C866458B.jpeg

CD5DC3D1-91DB-431B-AB9B-6B3F3F2DCAA0.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

On 6/10/2023 at 2:39 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I have no idea what to call this aesthetic but it brings me great joy.

Post-industrial revitalization? 😋

I agree. The aesthetic is the opposite of what of go for at home, where I want the tanks to look as natural as possible and minimize all the human touches, but out here I really like seeing the nature take over this man made area.

• Like 2

I have encountered similar situations on a much less dramatic level.  My favorite being the indoor garage under an apartment building I was looking to buy.  Apparently the creek in the back of the property regularly flooded the garage leaving behind standing water and 4-6 inches of sediment.  There was plant life everywhere.  The highlight was the abandoned car in the garage that had been transformed into a giant planter. Stem plants and vines had taken root in the upholstery and were growing out of the open window..   Being in a residential neighborhood, I couldn't go back at night to check out the wildlife.

I've always had an appreciation for when nature fights back.  

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 10:48 AM, Tanked said:

I have encountered similar situations on a much less dramatic level.  My favorite being the indoor garage under an apartment building I was looking to buy.  Apparently the creek in the back of the property regularly flooded the garage leaving behind standing water and 4-6 inches of sediment.  There was plant life everywhere.  The highlight was the abandoned car in the garage that had been transformed into a giant planter. Stem plants and vines had taken root in the upholstery and were growing out of the open window..   Being in a residential neighborhood, I couldn't go back at night to check out the wildlife.

I've always had an appreciation for when nature fights back.  

That sounds awesome, I’m sure the owners saw it as a downside. Reminds me of the eel pit guy on YouTube 

On 6/15/2023 at 10:38 PM, lefty o said:

nope, nope, just no.  snake bad!😲

Good snake - just a plain bellied water snake (I’m pretty sure on species but would need the location to be completely certain on species).  It is definitely a non-venomous water snake, though, no doubt about that.  Eats fish, frogs, toads, etc.  They can be a bit spicy when handled but are non-venomous.  FYI, can you see the vertical lines on the upper and lower lip?  In North America ONLY those are a clear indicator for non-venomous when they have those lines between each lip scale on the face.  There are a few rattlesnake species that have wide, dark, slanted markings that go from the chin and up across the face - those are NOT the same as these labial (lip) lines.  Even though these guys have a bit of attitude when handled, they’re good guys crucial to the environment and couldn’t do more to a human than the most superficial cuts, less than most paper cuts.

Could be a diamond backed water snake (lights a little funky to be sure).  Still a good guy.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:48 PM, Odd Duck said:

In North America ONLY those are a clear indicator for non-venomous

Good to know.  I have a friend convinced she is living on a nest of Copperheads.  Maybe this will convince her.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 2:48 PM, Odd Duck said:

Good snake - just a plain bellied water snake (I’m pretty sure on species but would need the location to be completely certain on species).  It is definitely a non-venomous water snake, though, no doubt about that.  Eats fish, frogs, toads, etc.  They can be a bit spicy when handled but are non-venomous.  FYI, can you see the vertical lines on the upper and lower lip?  In North America ONLY those are a clear indicator for non-venomous when they have those lines between each lip scale on the face.  There are a few rattlesnake species that have wide, dark, slanted markings that go from the chin and up across the face - those are NOT the same as these labial (lip) lines.  Even though these guys have a bit of attitude when handled, they’re good guys crucial to the environment and couldn’t do more to a human than the most superficial cuts, less than most paper cuts.

Could be a diamond backed water snake (lights a little funky to be sure).  Still a good guy.

makes no difference, it needs to stay well away from me.

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2023 at 6:13 PM, lefty o said:

makes no difference, it needs to stay well away from me.

They’re just lizards that forgot to bring along their legs.  No slime, not cold if they can help it, and feel like the neatest leather - some lightly textured, some feel smooth as glass.  I adore snakes!

Brace yourself, I’m going to post some snake pics.  None are mine, just Google grabs, but some of my favorite species for various reasons.

First, the white lipped python.  One of the most iridescent species on earth.

Next the Arabian sand boa - clearly the derpiest species on earth since it looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old child.

Next is one of many morphs of hognose snakes - American native but now in many more colors than original - not as extreme variety as guppies but selective breeding has developed some extraordinary colors.  These guys are my favorite because they can put on quite the show if they feel threatened, flipping themselves on their backs, sometimes thrashing around like they have a hideous neurological disease, with their mouths hanging open and tongues dangling out, “Ooh, I so sick, never eat me, I make you sick.  Don’t bother with me, I diseased and deceased.  Too risky to eat me, just move along.  Nothing to see here.”  First one is a very striking colored one pretending to be a “dangerous kober” as us snake people call it widening out their neck trying to look larger.  Second pic is a “dead” hognose.  They will persistently flip themselves on their backs pretending to be dead even if you flip them back to right side up.  “No, no, no, I DED!”  “No eat sick snek.”

If you ever want to see derpy reptiles and amphibians, there is a Facebook group called “Derpetology”.  Check it out.  They have loads of hognose being “dead”, sometimes at the drop of a hat even in snakes that are many generations captive bred.

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Add Derpetology info.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:25 AM, Odd Duck said:

the Arabian sand boa - clearly the derpiest species on earth since it looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old child.

Looks like it belongs on the refrigerator or in a cartoon.  

Attending a hands on demonstration put on by the local herpetological society allowed me to get over my fear of snakes, but I still prefer to see them before they see me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...