How to Indian Almond Leaves / Catappa Leaves

I either pour boiled water over them or spray them with hydrogen peroxide and then drop them in. (Just in case there are some nasty. Being overprotective there) In a day or two, they sink 

In a 29g I would use one large leaf at a time. When it is decaying and close to be all gone, I add another. It takes time for it to decay around 1-2 weeks

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:20 AM, RoyaleButterfly said:

@Lennie @Guppysnail I won't need to remove the decayed parts? I can just leave them in there until gone then add another one? Thank you for your advice! I have some hydrogen peroxide I can spray them with.

Tannins are great for the tank. If the look doesn't bother you, just no need to soak them really.

When it decays and all eaten basically all left is this:

image.jpeg.b0a96a1f40a25a079ba624a84e461343.jpeg

then you can remove it 🙂

Before that, let shrimpies enjoy the leaf!

My snails love it more than shrimp 😄 

On 6/9/2023 at 1:25 AM, Lennie said:

I have some hydrogen peroxide I can spray them with

I guess you don't have to. As I said I'm just overthinking in general about these stuff :') 

I spray the dry leaf, wash it under RO water and drop it in.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:42 AM, RoyaleButterfly said:

What do Tannins do for the water??

in terms of look, the water gets a bit yellowish. If you add a lot, it goes darker and darker until the blackwater. Otherwise it stays slight yellowish.

Tannins have antibacterial and antifungal properties, helps to prevent infections. Creates more natural environment for the tankmates. As it colors the water golden brown, the less light reaches to tank, so if you can't lower the light intensity for example, it may help with algae growing issue to a certain degree considering it blocks some light.

If you have a really low kh, it helps to lower ph a lil bit.

I really like it and keep at least a small piece even in my breeding tanks.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

I use them in my 5g Betta tanks, but I use it the way Kasia from Creative Pet Keeping does it. I add about 5 or 6 Catappa leaves to a large mason jar, then fill the jar with boiling water and let steep about 24 hrs. Pour the tea into a clean plastic pitcher and keep in fridge for up to 2 weeks. Toss the leaves into the compost container. I add about 1/4 cup of the Catappa tea whenever I do a water change. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 5:20 PM, RoyaleButterfly said:

@Lennie @Guppysnail I won't need to remove the decayed parts? I can just leave them in there until gone then add another one? Thank you for your advice! I have some hydrogen peroxide I can spray them with.

I use magnolia leaves in my tanks.  Sometimes I take them out when they look like the picture below, but I usually just leave them in the tank to finish breaking down.

By the way, I occasionally rinse them under the faucet, but I usually pick them up off the ground and drop them straight in the tank.

image.png.575e8ed827871125036e5f391847418b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, Lennie said:

Shrimp mainly love the biofilm grows on it when it decays. So it takes a lil bit of time

Mine jump on leaves almost as soon as they hit the water.  This picture was taken within a couple of hours of placing this cottonwood leaf in one of my 10 gallon tanks.  It was still floating, and there probably weren't over twenty adult shrimp in the tank at the time.

image.png.fc780f37601715b925b9967ca6d2e8d4.png

Edited by JettsPapa
Corrected mistake (thank you @TOtrees)
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/9/2023 at 10:47 PM, JettsPapa said:

Mine jump on leaves almost as soon as they hit the water.  This picture was taken within a couple of hours of placing this magnolia leaf in one of my 10 gallon tanks.  It was still floating, and there probably weren't over twenty adult shrimp in the tank at the time.

image.png.fc780f37601715b925b9967ca6d2e8d4.png

That's interesting

Also, I was planning to send you a dm about how your yellows doing. Good thing you shared here!

Are they still shooting only yellow babies? Have you observed any sensitivity issues compared to other neos? Or still the same?

The last time we talked I guess they were fairly new compared to your other neos.

Would love to hear as I got 10 yellow shrimplets last week!

I’ve been known to boil the leaves briefly and use only the tea, or add leaves to the water after boiling or before boiling.  Depends on the effect I want.  Sometimes I don’t want the leaf breaking down in the tank, just the benefit from the tannins.  I’ve also used rooibos tea (delicious tea, by the way, and I don’t usually like tea) for more tannins.

If you want some leaves your shrimp will really go nuts over, the best I’ve found is mulberry leaves.  I dry them before using, usually, or rarely, drop straight in the tank.  I’ve never tried magnolia leaves since I don’t have easy access.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I love all this information thank you! I put a couple of leaves in and the shrimp have been jumping from leaf to leaf it's been fun to watch them playing. My mystery snail attached to one immediately and has been on it since. I am glad I got them. I don't have any berried females yet but they have brilliant bright saddles! I could just watch them for hours.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 7:09 PM, RoyaleButterfly said:

I love all this information thank you! I put a couple of leaves in and the shrimp have been jumping from leaf to leaf it's been fun to watch them playing. My mystery snail attached to one immediately and has been on it since. I am glad I got them. I don't have any berried females yet but they have brilliant bright saddles! I could just watch them for hours.

Would love to see some pics sometimes! Especially the snail friend 🙂 

• Love 1

What I've read is as follows:

First put them in boiling water as a cleanse. Let the water cool and soak until the water is nearly black.

Drain water and add one more batch of cold water and soak for a week.

Now in such a small tank you may need to break up the leaves but as long as they "look" to scale just toss them in and let them fall naturally. Try to avoid putting them in the dead center of the tank. And you should have a nice looking dead layer soon,

On 6/10/2023 at 8:50 PM, DarkSceptor said:

First put them in boiling water as a cleanse. Let the water cool and soak until the water is nearly black.

Drain water and add one more batch of cold water and soak for a week.

This would waste majority of the benefits come with the tannins. Basically the main purpose of catappa leaves really

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 12:57 PM, Lennie said:

This would waste all the goodies come with the tannins. Basically the main purpose of catappa leaves really

Well the basis of the article was that the tannins on first flush are very heavy. So when you put them in it does not turn the water black but rather releases enough tannins to turn the water brownish-gold. However I've no experience with blackwater firsthand yet. So what I read could be very wrong.