Ken's Fishroom (and other tanks)

Ken Dyer

Howdy all! Thought I would setup a thread to track my fishroom and some of my other tanks. The room itself is a basement "family room" about 20x30 that also shares duties as storage closets so only 2 walls get to have tanks :)

Photos to come from the cellphone.

Thank you @Ruud the benefit(?) of having my daughter grow up and leave the house was a room that I could take over for my hobby 🙂 Plus the added bonus that it stopped me from adding yet another fish tank in our living room. The Mrs. was OK with the first 3, but I think a 4th would have been a hard sell.

Thank you both very much, and yes @Nick Ythe 120 is my rainbow/roseline shark tank upstairs with sterbai cories in the living room. Maintenance is very easy on that tank with ~monthly 25% water changes and about quarterly canister cleaning. The intake sponge on the canister makes all the difference and gets cleaned each water change. So maybe an hour a month to clean and then another 15-30 minutes if I tear the canister apart.

The rainbows are not "high quality" (several are from PetCo) but I love them as much as any pure strain 😉

One thing I would add, the 120 used to be a 150 tall, I definitely did not like maintaining a tall tank! I am not a short man but trying to plant or clean the gravel in a tall tank was a "never again" experience for me. I definitely prefer the 120 over the 150 tall in that footprint 🙂

Edited by Ken Dyer
dislike of "tall" tanks ;)
  • Like 1

Yeah the 120 used to be discus several years back, but I found them to be to skittish for a living room tank. The rainbows don't panic when a visitor walks up to the glass to look at them, the discus occasionally would literally bounce off of the sides when not approached slowly. Not sure who was more stressed when they were in the living room, the discus or me 😉

• Like 1

So...

Added the first row of 3 10's (unfortunately PetCo only had 3) and put in an order for more sponge filters and never clog air stones as a birthday present to me 😉

Will likely do a second row of 3 10's on the second shelf and then a "portrait mode" 20 long on top that I will pretend is aquascaped by jamming some wood and rocks in along with the plants and put some kribs or apistos in it to enjoy. pictures to be added once I get it a bit more setup.

So..... Tore the multi's home apart and took about half to the LFS along with all the scarlet endlers. I wanted to move the multies back into a 20 long but at eye level on the new 3' rack. 

Setup the 40B with some eco complete and some spare crypts I needed to get planted before they died. Moved the furcata rainbows into the tank and may look to try and spawn them.

Back is now sore, and still need to go to Home Desperate to get lid materials for the 3 new 10s.

20201120_144312.jpg

20201120_144324.jpg

20201120_144352.jpg

• Like 2

So far they are receptacles for daily doses of Easy Green. But I "need" some CPDs in my life (and in two of the upstairs tanks) so likely at least one will be a CPD breeding project. The other two, not positive yet. I always like to have at least 2-3 tanks up and running to grow plants and house fish at a moments notice if the LFS gets in something amazing 😉

4 hours ago, Ken Dyer said:

So far they are receptacles for daily doses of Easy Green. But I "need" some CPDs in my life (and in two of the upstairs tanks) so likely at least one will be a CPD breeding project. The other two, not positive yet. I always like to have at least 2-3 tanks up and running to grow plants and house fish at a moments notice if the LFS gets in something amazing 😉

I like to ha e a tank or two available for the same reasons, as well as when our local fish club was able to have meetings so if someone brought in some fish the spawned and I just had to have.