Just set up outdoor mini pond

josh world

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2020 at 5:15 PM, josh world said:

Im thinking of going with platies or mini koi

Mini koi? Is that like... a goldfish? 😂 But really, I didn't know mini koi was a thing. Cool!

I love platies, very underrated fish imo. Guppies get all the livebearer love (and I love them too! But they are hogging it all. Lol)

7 hours ago, Kim Esbye Blomberg said:

I would give my right kidney to be able to keep mini ponds in a climate like yours. Have you had any luck with fry yet?

Yes I have a whole tank that I am raising up. I actually don’t worry about temp because the coldest it gets at night is 73 degrees 

1566E708-2E89-4697-8FDB-D225AB7A8AAA.jpeg

• Like 2

In Western Maryland, we bought about 8x or so guppies. Random mix, bought cheap at PetSmart. Did Med trio indoors, then put out in the pond. Pulled out 70+ really colorful guppies at the end of the summer, brought inside, and eventually sold for $100. Fun little experiment. Couple of videos here...

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kat_Rigel said:

I love the guppies you got out of it!

Thanks Kat_Rigel! We actually moved them all over to a private school where we set up a classroom tank for 5th graders the past couple years. At the front end of this video, you can really see how phenomenal these guppies came out from just about 8x _lame_ guppies from PetSmart. As long as you run them through the med trio, they're fine. Check these out . . .

Welcome to the club!

Highly highly recommend the tub pond handbook by Dr. Ted Coletti extremely informative and its very cheap online you can it on Amazon or anywhere.

Edit, I added an interview with the author so you can listen to him speak before getting the book if you want this podcast is gold also.

Edited by GardenStateGoldfish
  • Thanks 1