Snails unaliving themselves filter?

I’m not sure if it’s the vibration or what but my adolescent ramshorn snails keep flocking to my filter at night. They get stuck as their shell is too big to get sucked through but their bodies are too small to unstuck themselves. 

I have lost maybe ~30 snails to this and I’m at a loss as to how to prevent them from getting stuck. For now I have a net over it. I have tried the following:

-filter floss rubberbanded over the intake. They just squeezed inbetween and unalived themselves.

-blocking off the filter compartment. They just crawled down the intake hose.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! They are a favored food source for my gobies in the display tank. 

Current solution:

0229F78A-31E7-48D6-94C8-8649DF00B800.jpeg.cab1b649b491402791c42fc39946f508.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 4/8/2023 at 3:13 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I have lost maybe ~30 snails to this and I’m at a loss as to how to prevent them from getting stuck. For now I have a net over it. I have tried the following:

Some people take a piece of foam similar to what you'd use for a corner filter.  They orient it at the top of an overflow box to keep shrimp or fry out of the pump area.  It might work, just a piece of 2" foam and make a hole for the hose to fit through.

On 4/8/2023 at 3:13 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I’m not sure if it’s the vibration or what but my adolescent ramshorn snails keep flocking to my filter at night.

Oxygenation and/or safety? 

• Like 2

Go online on ebay & get what's called a intake sponge filter 
get the course 1's so they don't clog up as easy, it should 
do the trick, cause mine do it too till I put a sponge on it. 

They go to get food is why, & they know where it goes 
but they don't know that it's a death trap for them.

I have a single Ramshorn that seems content to remain in the Anubia under the intake.  The young bladder snails haven't been so smart. I've always assumed they ride in on tiny pieces of plant matter.

The mesh bags used to package garlic bulbs at the grocery might also work for you.

• Like 2

I haven't found that the coarse foam intake covers keep snails from getting in.  At least bladder snails.  Even most full grown ones can navigate them as you can more-or-less see through them.  Though it might keep some out.

The mesh bag might be a better bet.  

On 4/10/2023 at 8:30 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

So a pre-filter sponge won’t work. The pump compartment is separated and walled off.

What does the partition look like? The overflow style weir prefilter concept won't work?

Rectangle of sponge with a hole cut around the pump tube? You could use AC foam to do this or something finer.

The foam they use and the style of cut they use is essentially exactly what flip aquatics uses. Instead of it being vertical, foam for you would be horizontal.

Screenshot_20230410-100751.png

Screenshot_20230410-100748.png

• 2 weeks later...