Has anyone used basic horticulture sand in an aquarium?  I was at our local  hardware/garden center and noticed it for sale, It looks like the perfect size for a little 3.7 gal that I want to set up.  🤔

I think I'm going to try it, and see what happens. :classic_biggrin:

20230211_135649.jpg

20230211_135647.jpg

• Like 3

Made the choice of 'sand', I think of it more of a tiny gravel....When does it start to be considered sand? :classic_rolleyes: .  Rinsed it, not bad, just a little dust and some organic material. Put some in the 3.7 and my Triops pool. Looks good to me in the 3.7 and the Triops love it!  :classic_laugh: Dig Dig Dig.  Weird little vernal pool critters. 😎  I'm already looking forward to trying the other, 'sand'.  Slow down man! 🤣

20230306_125246.jpg

20230306_125257.jpg

20230306_134440.jpg

20230307_051511.jpg

20230307_041158(0).jpg

20230306_170844.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

According to Geokansas  The difference between sand and gravel is 1mm  🧐  Gravel begins at 3mm.  Who knew!   

I like the grain size, It might be a good substitute for PFS.  My Indoor Horticultural Sand is obtained by rinsing pea gravel in a kitchen colander. I'd gladly buy a bag.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They start out very tiny and grow fast.  I've been experimenting with different sand/gravel combinations to see what they do.(horticulture sands).. 

I came across a video the other day where a small container of very fine sand was placed in the tank, the Triops laid their eggs in it, the container was removed and the sand was dried. Apparently the eggs are incredibly strong and  long lasting, . Anyway, the sand was added to water after a period of drying and the process started again. :classic_biggrin: 

20230226_134503(0).jpg

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 6:40 AM, Matt B said:

They start out very tiny and grow fast.  I've been experimenting with different sand/gravel combinations to see what they do.(horticulture sands).. 

I came across a video the other day where a small container of very fine sand was placed in the tank, the Triops laid their eggs in it, the container was removed and the sand was dried. Apparently the eggs are incredibly strong and  long lasting, . Anyway, the sand was added to water after a period of drying and the process started again. :classic_biggrin: 

20230226_134503(0).jpg

Pretty neat. What is the lifespan of a triops?

The largest and longest lived Triops I've had, was 58 days. They are truly a unique creature and I'm hopeing to hatch the eggs they laid.🤞 It's always entertaining to see people's reactions to them. It's either,  Whoa! What is that?!  Or,  Hey Triops! Cool, I had them as a kid!  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 11:35 PM, Matt B said:

The largest and longest lived Triops I've had, was 58 days. They are truly a unique creature and I'm hopeing to hatch the eggs they laid.🤞 It's always entertaining to see people's reactions to them. It's either,  Whoa! What is that?!  Or,  Hey Triops! Cool, I had them as a kid!  :classic_laugh:

I showed the video to my friend and that’s what she said. I remember those from when I was a kid! I never knew about them but I did have Sea Monkeys.

• Haha 1

The first time I had heard of Triops, was just within the last few years. I was told about vernal pools in the Southwest deserts and the cool organisms they were finding after heavy rains. :classic_ohmy: 

However,  like you,  I had  Sea Monkeys !  :classic_biggrin:  And I'm pretty sure they and all the creatures we'd find as kids while playing in local creeks , has led me to this aquarium obsession! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

What I have found that works well is .. fish foods! How convenient right? :classic_laugh:  I've tried everything from crushing up Fancy guppy pellets and Krill flakes into powder for when they first hatch, to Hikari sinking pellets and carrot pieces when they are adults. They aren't picky.  What's kind of cool, is when they get a hold of a piece of food, they'll swim upside down with it! :classic_rolleyes:

20230314_150722.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Triops actually got me *back* into fish keeping.  I bought some eggs and a 10 gallon tank to start them in.  I got a bunch to hatch, but they didn't seem to grow.  In any event, I cleaned out the 10 gallon and empty tank syndrome didn't last too long.  😄

Forgot to add: regarding sand and/or gravel.  If the goal is to save some money on inert substrate - Home Depot has plenty of options as long as you're willing to rinse a lot.  Which isn't that big of a deal, really.

• Like 3