Is aquarium water safe to drink?

The endler guy

Honestly, if we had an apocalypse and no running water and no access to other sources of water, I’m drinking my tank water.  I’ve unintentionally ingested plenty of lake and river water during water sports.  It can’t possibly be worse than that.  I would use a Lifestraw, or purifying tablets, few drops of bleach (after removing from the tank, of course), or boil, etc, if possible.  But yep, I’m drinking the tank if needs must.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, CrashBandit05 said:

Kinda on topic, maybe not haha, but at my store we have several plants in the display windows and I'll bring a jug of dirty water from my aquariums and it's called "forbidden tea" by everyone😆

Love the "forbidden tea," gotta remember that. We use it for houseplants and I'm trying to teach my toddler (who helps with the watering) that it's "yucky water" that's good for plants and not good for people. Same thing with duckweed on his hands after he helps feed the fish 🤢

• Haha 3

On 2/24/2023 at 12:34 PM, Odd Duck said:

Honestly, if we had an apocalypse and no running water and no access to other sources of water, I’m drinking my tank water.  I’ve unintentionally ingested plenty of lake and river water during water sports.  It can’t possibly be worse than that.  I would use a Lifestraw, or purifying tablets, few drops of bleach (after removing from the tank, of course), or boil, etc, if possible.  But yep, I’m drinking the tank if needs must.

After Hurricane Ian this year there were a few people that claimed to drink water from there tanks. I’m not sure I believe that but some said they did. They do say they boiled it first. I didn’t have water for almost 3 weeks but there was a ton of bottled water around except on the islands in the first few days.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:17 PM, rockfisher said:

After Hurricane Ian this year there were a few people that claimed to drink water from there tanks. I’m not sure I believe that but some said they did. They do say they boiled it first. I didn’t have water for almost 3 weeks but there was a ton of bottled water around except on the islands in the first few days.

Back in my Georgia living days I can understand the chatter, but I also too made sure to have a hefty emergency supply... before hurricane season begun! hahah

On 2/23/2023 at 6:35 AM, The endler guy said:

So recently I ran out of easy green and I’ve been really missing that sweet sweet taste of easy nutrients and plant growth, but it got me remembering, I dose my tanks and they probably have some concentration of that delicious green ambrosia. So is it safe to supplement my easy green addicti… I mean “craving” by drinking my aquarium water????

1.) Love this reply 2.) Love your signature! BAHAHAH

On 2/23/2023 at 9:08 AM, The endler guy said:

Smart, eat the water lettuce (it’s only poisonous in large amounts!)

Shoot, we could all grow enough duckweed to end world hunger too!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2023 at 9:07 PM, Furbs said:

Feel like there is going to be a video about this next week. 

hahaha In the Army we have lengthy "safety briefs"  before going on leave, when at the range... well just about anytime anyone is about to do anything, ever. Anyhow, they are often filled with crazily detailed and specific off the wall things not to do, like to not take selfies with live rattlesnakes... why?? because much like labels on shampoo telling you not to drink it... no one would mention it if it hasn't already been done by someone else! haha!   

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 9:34 AM, Odd Duck said:

Build a fire first.... Cody Lundin style.

I read an article about salt use on corydoras, that same article/talk/website has another feature article that month about some pretty intense / severe issues with tank water and humans interacting.  Scarred for life.

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2023 at 11:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Build a fire first.... Cody Lundin style.

I read an article about salt use on corydoras, that same article/talk/website has another feature article that month about some pretty intense / severe issues with tank water and humans interacting.  Scarred for life.

But the odds of having an issue is very small.  Not nonexistent, but very small.  Just be smart.  Wash hands/arms before hand for the sake of the fish, then wash again afterwards for the sake of yourself.  Wash frequently through the day if you’re doing a long term project or have lots of tanks to do.

And I routinely carry at least 4-5 ways to start a fire in my purse, plus even more ways in my brain.  Far more ways at home where my tanks are.  Yes, I’ve practiced with all the ways I have in my possession, not all the ways I have in my brain.  😆 😃 

• Love 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:46 PM, Odd Duck said:

And I routinely carry at least 4-5 ways to start a fire in my purse, plus even more ways in my brain

let me guess,

1. pocket lint

2. pocket lint

3. more pocket lint

4. HOW IS THERE SO MUCH POCKET LINT

5. *muffled sounds from under a mound of pocket lint*

On 3/2/2023 at 5:53 PM, The endler guy said:

let me guess,

1. pocket lint

2. pocket lint

3. more pocket lint

4. HOW IS THERE SO MUCH POCKET LINT

5. *muffled sounds from under a mound of pocket lint*

Minimal pocket lint but I have pretty much a fire starter EDC that always falls into the bottom of my purse (ferrorod easy {big orange handled thing} and harder - visible rod in pic), peanut lighter, along with some cotton, some cash tucked into tiny, waterproof containers.  It also has a couple emergency whistles (as do my car keys), and a tiny, folding can opener with a bit of duct tape keeping the can opener from damaging fingers or purse, plus the duct tape is useful.  I also always carry reading glasses, and 2 credit card sized fresnel lenses (one super cheap, the other better with a very small magnifying lens built in is in my billfold it’s laying right over the peanut lighter in the pic).

Yes, I also have a Go Bag backpack, but I need to go through it since it’s slowly become an “I don’t know where else to store this but it’s survival related” bag.  Go backpack has a fire piston, flint and steal, plus assorted other fire starting stuff like a vial of magnesium shavings, a container of jute, a few commercially made tinders, waterproof matches, collapsible fire blower so you don’t have to be close enough to start your hair on fire, tiny first aid kit, (not including my giant first aid kit), emergency blanket, compass, plus several other, potentially handy if there was ever an emergency that actually required me to get my fat behind out of the easy chair type event.

Do I think it’s likely I’ll ever need any of this stuff?  Naw!  🤣. But just in case!  😉 😆 😂  And because I’ve always liked the idea that I know how to start a fire if need be.  Yes, I was a Girl Scout and what we used to call church scouts that taught a lot of first aid and fire starting, camping, cooking, water and food storage, just very general, survive in tough times/emergency type stuff.  You don’t really need to know why my screen name fits me anymore, do ya?  😃 😝 🤣 

FEFE1C23-5E8D-471B-A0C2-5ED9EEF03843.jpeg

• Like 1