Fishy Stuff

CJs Aquatics

Hey all, I thought it might be fun as I look at this mess of a fish room to play a little game. Post a picture of the most useful thing in your fishroom, That random thing that gets used everyday or you couldn’t live without. It’s my hope that it gives some people some ideas of things real fishkeepers use on a daily basis, or perhaps veteran fishkeepers haven’t thought of or considered and we can learn from each other and have a few laughs in the process, I’ll go first with something simple: 

059C262C-3266-4F0B-ABA3-088D4FB21052.jpeg.f220387bc10aaed5fefff8b3afab8366.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

no word of a lie, I have a stack of 8 of these in my fish room, and it's not uncommon to be using 5 or 6 at a time. 

image.png.dae0f9234fd87c99ff977c0c955acba1.png

Although, frustratingly, the spout sucks for pouring so if I want to pour clean and tidy I have to pour off the side edge not the spout. 

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:30 PM, CT_ said:

310px-Paume_de_main.jpeg

Looks just like my water mixing valve.

Probably the best "tool" I use day to day is a catch cup / specimen container and then using the pinsettes to snatch things. 

Whether I'm feeding food, thawing blocks, fixing plants, or just trying to snag something and keep my hands out of the water, that's what works well and is used almost daily.  Second to that is a good towel.  Each tank has their own. 

I would also mention the value of a stand / shelf / table for things.  INVALUABLE to have some quick places to set something that can get damp.

• Like 1

image.jpg

On 2/22/2023 at 5:15 PM, TOtrees said:

no word of a lie, I have a stack of 8 of these in my fish room, and it's not uncommon to be using 5 or 6 at a time. 

image.png.dae0f9234fd87c99ff977c0c955acba1.png

Although, frustratingly, the spout sucks for pouring so if I want to pour clean and tidy I have to pour off the side edge not the spout. 

I have 6 of the Rubbermaid version of these. That was my first thought to post but you beat me to it. 

• Like 1

I use these tiny 1 oz containers for the multitude of fish food options I have. I keep the original package in the freezer and refill the little ones as needed. Also use them to thaw frozen foods then use a pipette to feed from. Also the 3 ml plastic pipettes get heavily used too. Have two nearly blind bettas. Couldn’t do without those either. 

51C1F560-2903-4089-A0AE-6577797BD161.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/23/2023 at 9:40 AM, Stef said:

I use these tiny 1 oz containers for the multitude of fish food options I have. I keep the original package in the freezer and refill the little ones as needed. Also use them to thaw frozen foods then use a pipette to feed from. Also the 3 ml plastic pipettes get heavily used too. Have two nearly blind bettas. Couldn’t do without those either. 

51C1F560-2903-4089-A0AE-6577797BD161.jpeg

I save the condiment cups from takeout containers and keep fish food in those 🙂 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 8:40 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Hey all, I thought it might be fun as I look at this mess of a fish room to play a little game. Post a picture of the most useful thing in your fishroom, That random thing that gets used everyday or you couldn’t live without. It’s my hope that it gives some people some ideas of things real fishkeepers use on a daily basis, or perhaps veteran fishkeepers haven’t thought of or considered and we can learn from each other and have a few laughs in the process, I’ll go first with something simple: 

I have that same temperature probe couldn't do without it

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, Katherine said:

What is this?

It is a snail catcher. Works on the glass to pick up pest snails. Mine seem to come and go in waves...I'm okay with them as long as they populate the back glass for cleaning algae. Use the snail catcher on the rest. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 12:40 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Do you think this is better than the infrared gun? I have the infrared but I feel like it's not accurate sometimes.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:04 PM, knee said:

Do you think this is better than the infrared gun? I have the infrared but I feel like it's not accurate sometimes.

For maintenance I use an aquatic thermometer to match tank temps. I also have the infrared gun which makes it quick to check all my tanks and make sure they’re in the range. Every tank has an aquatic thermometer, but basically all of them have dead batteries, lol. Need to stop being lazy and replace the batteries 

Here’s my everyday use

0AD8B0E4-1492-4596-B811-ACCD69FCF8CC.jpeg
Little green cup is for frozen baby brine shrimp cubes. Syringes are for feeding that out. 

Glass dish is for bloodworms, and the turkey baster is for feeding those! These are really the only things I use every day. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

On 2/23/2023 at 7:04 PM, knee said:

I have been  using this for two years to temperature match when doing water changes its a lot more accurate than infrared 

• Thanks 1

I was a waitress for almost 2 decades, so naturally I shop at my local restaurant supply for kitchen utensils. 

When my husband made my tank stand we made sure that bus tubs would fit inside.  They hold almost 10g of water so they can be used as an emergency tank.  They currently hold extra supplies, and I've used it to put plants in for algae cleaning and RR.

20230223_154449.jpg.29452df0063a3ff6255a083d7d398065.jpg

I also use an 18" long spoon for stirring remin rodi, and 18" tongs for grabbing my plants glued to rocks.

20230223_154610.jpg.9766ce7bb4047f5180fbcb67b9862806.jpg

• Love 1