Let’s get this straight: the Tissue culture debate.

They do better in high tech setups from my experience. I have some hygro pinnatifida tissue culture that I'm growing on some driftwood and it's really slow, but that also maybe because I'm not giving the tank high light. I also got some rotala indica 'bonsai' that is doing really well in my 20 long but very slow growth.

Got some tissue cultured Buce Brownie from Petsmart on Feb. 5th. All the portions are small but still look quite healthy to this point. The only negative so far is some minor leaf melting, otherwise the color and texture is looking good so far and they've even grown a few new leaves.

20230214_112550.jpg

20230214_112547.jpg

I bought a cup each of Alternanthera reinickii, Crypocoryne wendtii, and Rotala H'ra, planted them all into a new 55 gallon with small gravel and some sand, planted a few bits of each into a well established ten gallon with coarser gravel, lit with Finnex Planted+ 24/7 lights on both tanks, with no CO2, and all of it melted away and never came back. Maybe they need CO2, maybe they need aquasoil, I don't know, but I've had much more success with pots and clippings.

• Like 1

Hit or miss. They're so small and weak that unless you give them lots of light and CO2 they probably won't make it. They usually do better when you're setting up a new tank with all TC plants because then they don't get overshaded. 

Christel Kasselmann always starts them in potting soil, then when the plants are bigger and healthy she moves them to the aquarium.

Edit: Video of her method

Edited by gjcarew
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

What are your experiences with tissue cultures?

Loved em...

Plants were good quality and they didn't really crash at all on me.  I am interested to get more, but I really... really have issues with the "tissue culture" junk that the big box store near me has available.  There's fresh and then this stuff is basically dead and waiting to be thrown out.  Tragic to see.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, gjcarew said:

Christel Kasselmann always starts them in potting soil, then when the plants are bigger and healthy she moves them to the aquarium.

Edit: Video of her method

Probably a great way to slowly transition them.  Similar to Cory's method of adding a root tab to a potted plant while it adjusts to your water.

The moss in my tanks was TC, it's clearly doing well.  The other one I had that was TC was some S.Repens, doing awesome, and then some Hygro Pinnatifida, all doing well.

Specifically Hygro Pinnatifida is one I recommend you spend for the TC version because you are guaranteeing that you're not buying from a source contributing to soil erosion issues in the wild.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:53 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Here’s what the facilities look like:

image.png.dfb99fea757b8319645e0b3adbadba2b.png

Just imagine if that was fancy salad herbs and the back room of an Italian kitchen.  😍

On 2/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’ve tried them again & again and they just don’t work. Can’t sustain themselves and melt into mulm. Final attempt with Java Moss & Frogbit. 

I'm sure it's a list, but what plants are in the tank this is going into that is doing well?  Placement might be key for the moss, beyond that maybe the light was too low?  Totally intrigued by this one.

• Like 1

I recently purchased some Alternanthera reinickii. I wanted to try growing plants emersed, so I set up an nursery & they are in that. They've been doing well and a week ago, I planted one little bunch with maybe 3 stems  in my 1 gallon water garden. It's only been a week, so quite possibly too soon to say, but it's looking great so far, it's grown a noticeable amount and so far no signs of melting. 

• Like 1

I have only tried tissue culture once it was Taiwan Lilly it did well for a long time before my hoard of bristlenose plecos kept snapping the leaves off  just to clarify there was about 200 hundred bristlenose of varying sizes and they didn't eat the leaves

Edited by Colu
  • Sad 2