Abacaxis

tolstoy21

Not my best photo. 

But, this fish has been soooooo hard to photograph. It will come up to the glass to greet me (or, actually, beg for food), but the second the phone or camera comes out, it runs for hills (or, actually, the java fern). Its tank is also dimly lit, so that's also a challenge. 

However, today I got off a snap! I had to 'lightroom' this a bit to fix the exposure, reduce noise etc. But as a practice, I don't modify the colors of fish, since I use these for ads.

Anyway, thanks for looking!   

PS . . .  I have a ton of juveniles, so RAOK a pair?  What do you all think?

P1120755.jpg.d5ff7a2aa2a1fa483d2a995240927f4d.jpg

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

On 2/11/2023 at 3:10 PM, anewbie said:

It is a more delicate fish so I if you RAOK (and i would enter); you should try to target more experience fish keepers rather than purely random...

Well, I can't make a contest exclusive in the same way that I cannot pick and chose whom I sell fish to. 

I find them to not be super delicate. They do fine in 'typical' apistogramma water params. Ph in the 6's, nothing exceeding a moderate Ph, clean water and non aggressive tank mates. So I would say a 'responsible' fish keeper more than an 'experienced' one.

In the end, all I can do is list the care requirements. After that, it's up to individuals entering to judge for themselves if this is a pet they want to keep and take care of.

On 2/11/2023 at 12:19 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

i remember when Red Fish Blue Fish showed these a couple years back when he used to do his stream.

They have them for sale right now. Their asking price is pretty high, $145 a pair. 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@tolstoy21i remember when Red Fish Blue Fish showed these a couple years back when he used to do his stream. Wow that coloration is incredible. Well done with the pic too! 

They are more common these days - I think the typical price for a tank raised pair is around $30-$40 (wetspot for example sell them for $35 a pair when they  have them in stock). However wild specimen are much more expensive - depending on some factors such as catch location.

Edited by anewbie

On 2/11/2023 at 8:06 PM, anewbie said:

They are more common these days - I think the typical price for a tank raised pair is around $30-$40 (wetspot for example sell them for $35 a pair when they  have them in stock). However wild specimen are much more expensive - depending on some factors such as catch location.

The ones at Red Fish Blue Fish are domestic raised, imported from Europe. 

On 2/11/2023 at 8:14 PM, Theplatymaster said:

Also id prefer the Mako as a RAOK than this. I have a whole 2gallon tank (12x6x6) set up just for the mako.

I will RAOK the Mako in the summer. I'm waiting for it to grow to a more shippable size. Right now it's a little small, just a tad over 200lb.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 8:14 PM, Theplatymaster said:

what kind of fish is this?

It's an Apistogramma Abacaxis, pronounced something like 'Ah-ba-ka-shees'. I believe it's Portuguese/Brazilian for "pineapples".  It's also the name of a river in Brazil. I believe it used to go by the name 'Apistogramma Wilhelmi'.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 7:50 AM, tolstoy21 said:

PS . . .  I have a ton of juveniles, so RAOK a pair?  What do you all think?

Looks really beautiful.  I think these are what @Zenzo picked up from Ocean Aquarium?  Not sure how his are doing, but it's a beautiful fish.  Please keep struggling to take photos!

How goes your corydoras adventures?

On 2/11/2023 at 7:42 PM, tolstoy21 said:

The ones at Red Fish Blue Fish are domestic raised, imported from Europe. 

I

So... let me ask you - if you could buy a pair from wetspot for $35 or a pair form red fish blue fish for $145 which would you pick and why ?

@anewbie  If I had to pick, like if I didn't the world would end--would be sucked into a massive whirling vortex where, at the other end, waited my upcoming RAOK mako shark hungry for Nerm blood-- then I would pick Red Fish Blue Fish because I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. 

But this if I was forced to pick . . . . .

I would purchase abacaxis from them if their price was lower but still higher--double even--than Wet Spots'.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:52 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

How goes your corydoras adventures?

Forthcoming.

No corys yet. But I will acquire some soon through the generosity of a fellow Nerm!

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Haha 1