Rescued Clown loach rehab, will update

Brainsponge

On 1/24/2023 at 4:49 AM, jwcarlson said:

@Odd Duck

Here we go:

Screenshot_20230124-044736_Drive.jpg.46f95b864055280d5bfd7070025237d4.jpg

The benzoic acid powder is probably for keeping spoilage down in the mix?  And lactose has almost got to be a sugar or an electrolyte maybe?

Yes, the benzoic acid is almost certainly a preservative and the lactose is a sugar, likely to make it taste slightly less offensive to the cattle/sheep.  It’s highly likely that the percent of Levamisole is on the higher end, but they have to list the range as a “just in case the employee was having a bad day” thing.  The fine print says it’s to “protect proprietary information”, which is likely part of it, too.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 4:02 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, the benzoic acid is almost certainly a preservative and the lactose is a sugar, likely to make it taste slightly less offensive to the cattle/sheep.  It’s highly likely that the percent of Levamisole is on the higher end, but they have to list the range as a “just in case the employee was having a bad day” thing.  The fine print says it’s to “protect proprietary information”, which is likely part of it, too.

It's 90% levamisole - 46.8g of levamisole/52g net weight.  I don't know what the cost on the Prohibit is, but pure levamisole isn't particularly expensive.  And even the 40 grams of it that I have seem like a lifetime supply.  I'm not sure of the effective range on levamisole, but I do know that there's a wide variety of suggestions from 2 ppm up to 13 ppm!  The 90% could conceivably be something to worry about dosing down on the low end of 2 ppm.

In any event, now I'm kind of curious if our local farm store carries the Prohibit.

Update, he's starting to get a bit more active. Starting to see short quicker movements, instead of slow, cautious movement. More exploration of the tank, coming to the top to snag snails off the water lettuce roots. Spending more time out of the cave. I'm getting more optimistic every day. Still cautious, but getting more cautiously optimistic. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 1/25/2023 at 9:48 PM, Brainsponge said:

Update, he's starting to get a bit more active. Starting to see short quicker movements, instead of slow, cautious movement. More exploration of the tank, coming to the top to snag snails off the water lettuce roots. Spending more time out of the cave. I'm getting more optimistic every day. Still cautious, but getting more cautiously optimistic. 

A few more days and he deserves a name! 

• Like 1

He's doing great. Thanks for asking. Still way skinny but he's eating regularly, Repashy bottom scratcher and snails. He's currently in my 10gal quarantine tank but he's fixing to move to a larger tank once I can order an ACO heater. He still hides in the cave a decent amount but I do notice he's more active at night and in the morning. I think he will make it just fine, now I'm just focusing on getting him fattened up and into a bigger tank. My Fiancé named him King Louie, since he's a fan of the escargot.

I will try to get a picture of him when he pops out for a snack

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I have never kept them, but I know they do get much bigger than people think. If you look at Cory’s old videos of the 800g when it was filled with Tiger Barbs he has some in there the size of footballs. Best of luck, clown loaches are cool and are pretty slow growers from what I heard so it’ll probably be a long time before he maxes out.

• Thanks 1

He's not real photogenic but I'll get a picture of him one of these days. May have to wait until I move him to the 45. 

And thanks Blueline. I have a 75 he can go in but they prefer decently warmer waters than the fish I have in it so I'll probably have to figure something else out for him. The 45 should give me a little time since he's still small

• Like 1

Got him out of the quarantine and into the 45 gal tonight. He's doing pretty good. Still skinny but eating regularly. I'm hoping more room equals more exercise, more exercise means more munching which will chunk hom up. ACO heater is holding the temp nicely. Still working on getting a picture of him, which it turns out is kinda difficult. 

Any suggestions on potential tank mates? 

Got some small Val along the back, came in pretty rough but hopefully it will make it. Some Pogo, Amazon sword, African water fern, and an unknown plant that came with a rescue tank. Eventually I'll add some chain sword which seems to like my water. I'll get some pictures of the tank tomorrow. May even be able to get lucky and get King Louie in one of them.

• Love 3

For potential tank mates; more clown loaches - they should be kept in a pack of at least 6 - more the better. They really do need to be a in a group. Other tank mates - pretty much anything that likes warm soft water - angelfishes, cardinals, severum, .... the limit is on your tank size.

They can get fairly large and they can live in excess of 30 years (easily).

Edited by anewbie

• 1 month later...