I need help seeing these two Bolivian rams I got (at a different lfs then I usually go to. Made me realize that the closer/ smaller one is leagues better!) and they couldn’t sex them 3869F4DA-9895-491F-8400-172EC17E2D62.jpeg.d234213c12adc6440b92bb0f845fd1f6.jpeg0FC61D34-1806-495E-A299-F7E79F33A5D5.jpeg.a3df02d779390c5cbf86b5db236fd8c6.jpeg

(also extra points to anyone who can find the clown pleco in the second photo!)

If it helps any the first one is slightly smaller, the larger one chased it a lot and it hides because of that (I think, because it hides mostly in a cave like area, could just be determining hierarchy or breeding) I am willing to swap one if they are the same gender

Edited by Aiden Carter

On 1/3/2023 at 1:44 PM, Misa said:

This video is great; it helped me sex my rams. Based on the photos I think the bottom pic is a female, it looks like my girl. The top could be younger but I'm not sure.

I really hope so! I think I saw the flat vent but I don’t remember which one! When I get home I’ll check the vents

On 1/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Sometimes they are too young to sex.

i think that is the case with the smaller one. what size do they reach maturity? the smaller one is about 2 inches maybe a little more, also it has a slightly sunken belly not sure if its just me though (probably because it was in the store and not getting enough food)

Second pic (bigger fish) is definitely a male. The smaller fish could be a female cause of the anal and dorsal fin but the shape of the face seems male to me. Grow it out some more and observe if the fins will get pointier. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, Aiden Carter said:

Your correct about the pleco

I was checking out mine yesterday, cleaned the glass and proceeded to spook her back into hiding.  she has a hole in this stump of malaysian wood she likes.  I would add a cave, but then the giant RTBS will think she can fit in there. 😂

If you ever get a decent shot of the pattern on yours feel free to share!