Clown Pleco food?

Jabberjaw

What do ya'll feed your clown plecos. i have 5 in a tank with Mopani wood. I've tried algae tabs, shrimp patties, meat patties, cucumbers, broccoli, spinach and regular fish food. so far i haven't seen them eat any of it. They're all young, 1-2" long. so I'm concerned.

Clown plecos are omnivores so require a mix of algae wafers cucumber lettuce whole peas blood worms brine shrimp as long as they don't have sunken belly's I wouldn't worry to much they probably eating a small amount of the food your offering 

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:21 AM, Colu said:

Clown plecos are omnivores so require a mix of algae wafers cucumber lettuce whole peas blood worms brine shrimp as long as they don't have sunken belly's I wouldn't worry to much they probably eating a small amount of the food your offering 

Think I should put some spider wood in there also?

On 12/27/2022 at 11:01 PM, Jabberjaw said:

What do ya'll feed your clown plecos. i have 5 in a tank with Mopani wood. I've tried algae tabs, shrimp patties, meat patties, cucumbers, broccoli, spinach and regular fish food. so far i haven't seen them eat any of it. They're all young, 1-2" long. so I'm concerned.

Mine loves the spider wood (rarely ever leave’s it) also munches on mopani occasionally (I’ve heard that mopani is more dense, so it would make sense he ate the easy one!) also munches on the occasional algae wafer if it isn’t to dark 

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 1:39 AM, anewbie said:

Mine - which is around 5 years old - i never see eat no matter what i put in; but he is fat as fat can be so i'm sure he is eating a bit too much 😉

i had them over 10 years, and had never seen them eat. have some wood in the tank, and feed other fish and they seem to get what they need.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2022 at 10:22 AM, lefty o said:

i had them over 10 years, and had never seen them eat. have some wood in the tank, and feed other fish and they seem to get what they need.

From what it sounds like (and my experience of an extremely long experience with them of two weeks) they don’t really NEED anything but a good selection of wood but they will appreciate other stuff 

please correct me if I’m wrong 

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 9:49 AM, Aiden Carter said:

From what it sounds like (and my experience of an extremely long experience with them of two weeks) they don’t really NEED anything but a good selection of wood but they will appreciate other stuff 

please correct me if I’m wrong 

pretty much. if they have some wood to nibble on, and you are feeding other fish, they will pick off what they need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1