What to do with extra snails

Hally M.

I have hundreds of snails that are just breeding and breeding in an empty tank.  I finally need to use it and I’m not sure what to do with them. I would try giving them to stores but I’m not sure if they’d want that amount of ramshorn/pond snails. Any other ideas? 

On 12/21/2022 at 2:05 PM, Kurt Brutting said:

I was told to throw my extra snails into my garden, it’s good advice but I couldn’t do it.

Brutal way for them to go out, for sure. Do the loaches eat the shell? If not, the shells after they’ve been a meal could be a good source of calcium and minerals for the garden. Snail shells are my crushed coral at this point, lol. I’m sure it’s not apples to apples, but it can’t hurt in my soft water 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

Do you know anyone with an aquatic turtle? They might be interested in them for food as well as the calcium in the shell. I feed the pest snails in my community tank to our RES in the big tank...the barbs especially love them and often beat Squirt to the snails haha

On 12/27/2022 at 1:44 PM, FLFishChik said:

Funny you should post this. I am looking for a way to get a snail population going before embarking on a Pea Puffer journey. How easy/fast do they multiply and how big of a tank would I need to grow them out for Pea puffers?

I have 2 x 5 gallon tanks that are only feeder snails plus I pull a few red ramshorns for other tanks sometimes.  They don’t overpopulate in my other tanks.  The culture tanks get deliberately overfed and need a higher percentage for their water changes.  These 2 tanks are more than enough for my pea puffers.  They are not fed snails exclusively, they also get a variety of worms - whiteworms, Grindal worms, and blackworms when I can get them.

• Thanks 1

When my pest snail population gets to high The Barbs, Angels and Silver Dollars get snack food.  Unintentionally, the HOB removes them as well. The intake slits are too small for the small ones to pass through, so they get stuck until I do maintenance. 

On 12/27/2022 at 11:44 AM, FLFishChik said:

Funny you should post this. I am looking for a way to get a snail population going before embarking on a Pea Puffer journey. How easy/fast do they multiply and how big of a tank would I need to grow them out for Pea puffers?

I like to say that rabbits have a pejorative for how quickly guppies breed. Guppies have the same for bladder snails. 

On 12/20/2022 at 7:35 PM, Hally M. said:

I have hundreds of snails that are just breeding and breeding in an empty tank.  I finally need to use it and I’m not sure what to do with them. I would try giving them to stores but I’m not sure if they’d want that amount of ramshorn/pond snails. Any other ideas? 

What species? Just rams horn and pond?