The Algae Battle Begins….

So… this is happening in my tank now 😫. Started appearing about 3 weeks ago and I’m not sure just how to approach my plan of attack. 

Params: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, Nitrates 20ish ppm. 

I adjusted my lighting from 8 hrs daily to 6 hours daily but it doesn’t seem to be making any kind of difference. Any ideas or is this just something I have to learn to live with?

9ED01919-0DE4-4627-B66E-8DD4464CF347.jpeg

Looks like hair algea, in my 10g algea journal ill be starting a hair algea tutorial soon (last post) in my case it was kicked off by bad flow (unrealized faulty air pump) and a massive amount of micros. At least too much for the amount of light being used. Could this been your case as well? Lowering the light but still using the same amount of fertz?

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2022 at 10:42 PM, JGlidden said:

I'm running into same problem. I've been cleaning and cutting out worst parts the algea is killing vacuuming out what I can. Cut my lights back few hours. Hoping it will balance out. I put snails and brisselnose in tank to help. 

I already have snails, along with a few oto’s and shrimp. I don’t want to add anything else to the tank and risk overstocking (it probably already is) so hoping the light reduction will help

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1

I battle it I started manual removal and some triming of plants that were over taking. I also have a syringe and blunt needle from tractor supply and use small amount of hydrogen peroxide right on the algae. Depending on the tank and the types of plants I add fertilizer to get plants growing well. I have found that for me personally daily filter cleaning or sponge clean helped a lot. I know it’s not always possible to do that but I have a sort of routine that I go into when I start to get it. I find that normal I believe it’s my fault I got it in the first place due to lack of/ poor maintenance but happens to so many people not every is like me. I have also added more plants and that has helped including a floating plant that I have no idea what it is. I find than not main “algae eating” aquarium dwellers eat that type of algae. Just say with it and you will get it. If you decide to use hydrogen peroxide just try not to get it on leaves of other plants. If It does happen a little may kill just the part it touch’s. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:38 AM, FLFishChik said:

I already have snails, along with a few oto’s and shrimp. I don’t want to add anything else to the tank and risk overstocking (it probably already is) so hoping the light reduction will help

Picture the water in your tank (and whats in it) as your gas and your light is the gas pedal. It doesn't matter how heavy or lite of a foot you have. If you are burning crap gas, you'll get crap results. 

On 12/19/2022 at 7:38 AM, FLFishChik said:

I've gone from (in order):

Fluval Planted 3.0 24" light
-55% intensity for 6 hours
-55% intensity for 8 hours
-65% intensity
-75% intensity
-85% intensity (issues trying to get enough light to substrate growers)

Fluval Planted 3.0 36" light
-65% intensity for 8 hours
-75% intensity for 8 hours
-75% intensity for 9 hours (screwed up adjusting things, added CO2)
-55% intensity for 8 hours
-55% intensity for 6 hours
-45% intensity for 6 hours
-35% intensity for 6 hours
-25% intensity for 6 hours
-25% intensity for 4 hours
-15% intensity for 4 hours

There's a lot going on there, but if this is anywhere related to the stuff I am dealing with, cut the light power and then you'll want to use root tabs as opposed to the liquid dosing for some plants.  Algae has less access to that (hopefully) and it seems to help the plants stabilize a bit. 

I am still dealing with an outbreak, but it's controllable and manageable right now.  I would cut your light power if you can, potentially even do a blackout to soften the algae.

The Algae is growing on dead leaves, which is a sign to trim and remove those problem spots.  Manual removal is almost always critical for some forms of intense algae.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, JoeQ said:

Looks like hair algea, in my 10g algea journal ill be starting a hair algea tutorial soon (last post) in my case it was kicked off by bad flow (unrealized faulty air pump) and a massive amount of micros. At least too much for the amount of light being used. Could this been your case as well? Lowering the light but still using the same amount of fertz?

Had the same thing happen.  Never fun.  It's ironic how much algae causes the pumps to fail, but the pump failure helps the algae.

Here’s my recipe for algae control: 

-Less light

-A larger mass of plants

-A clean up crew

-Keep your plants growing with proper nutrients

-Manual removal 

-Patience

-Glutaraldehyde in small quantities 

Hair algae seems to be the one that responds to manual removal the best. Take a toothbrush and swirl it around in the hair algae and it should stick to the toothbrush. 

Anecdotally I’ve found that hair algae grows in bright white light. Others have said that isn’t the case for them, but I’m  the victim of confirmation bias in this case so I’m going to say avoid bright white light

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 1:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Had the same thing happen.  Never fun.  It's ironic how much algae causes the pumps to fail, but the pump failure helps the algae.

Algea didn’t kill it, I think it's internals just got tired. It still works but its struggling and needs a good smack now and again to get it working again.  The unnoticed consistant lack of flow was probably the start of my Algea

• Like 1