Can anyone I.D. this cory?

411fishkeeping

It's very similar to elegans, but I think the small dot pattern on the belly might be the key to IDing this one. 

On 12/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, T. Payne said:

Definitely a species in the lineage 5 complex. I would say elegans, but I'm not 100%. I would search lineage 5 on planetcatfish and compare pics.

Just asking, because I don't know enough.  How were you so quick to see it was lineage 5?  Is there a specific "look" to each one?  Any tools that you mind sharing that talks about each one?

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:49 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's very similar to elegans, but I think the small dot pattern on the belly might be the key to IDing this one. 

Just asking, because I don't know enough.  How were you so quick to see it was lineage 5?  Is there a specific "look" to each one?  Any tools that you mind sharing that talks about each one?

I've just been in the hobby for a long time and my interest in focused mostly on corydoras and plecos.  To me at least, each lineage looks a little different, compared to the others 

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 11:29 PM, 411fishkeeping said:

Hello everyone,

Could you all lend your collective knowledge to help me I.D. this Corydoras I picked up at Petco for $1 yesterday? The guy said it came in by mistake with a batch of Otos. I am betting on elegans or nanus.

Thank you all.

A6870B61-DA62-41DF-89AB-E7FCD708F749.jpeg

A053866A-80A7-411D-B167-25220AB44FF7.jpeg

AFE26C4A-633B-4444-9203-76C43FF407CE.jpeg

Have you thought about asking the vendor to see what they were sold to them as? Nice barb like photobomb!

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 9:43 PM, lefty o said:

ive never seen that particular strain before, but for $1, you scored!

I wasn’t planning on taking him home, I just wanted to know what Petco would price them at! Haha He said $1 donation, I said “bag him up!”

On 12/17/2022 at 12:37 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I think this is a great candidate because the stripes are so pronounced.

On 12/17/2022 at 12:49 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would not have identified the spots as a unique marker, I have been looking at the dorsal. From what I can tell, there isn’t much pattern, more of a slight black coloration toward the front.

On 12/17/2022 at 7:20 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Have you thought about asking the vendor to see what they were sold to them as? Nice barb like photobomb!

I just got the thought to take a picture back and see if the guy at Petco would be willing to send it to his vendor to see if they could ID it, so good idea!

On 12/17/2022 at 6:59 AM, T. Payne said:

I've just been in the hobby for a long time and my interest in focused mostly on corydoras and plecos.  To me at least, each lineage looks a little different, compared to the others 

@T. Payne what are the most common traits that help to distinguish Cory’s from each other? Patterns, snout length, fin shape, etc.?

Corydoras bilineatus is my best guess. The difference between elegans and bilineatus appears to be that elegans has a more diffused line marking. Whereas bilineatus 2 lines do not break up. Corydoras bilineatus also originate from the Madeira river basin which overlaps with where otocinclus are typically caught. Whereas other species of this complex originate from the lower Orinoco and central Amazon basins. If this was a mistake in the shipment, than it is strongly likely that the range of the two species would need to overlap, as otocinclus are still largely wild caught.

This however is not accurate I.D. by me. There is simply little information on these species and a lack of a dichotomous key for me to make strong claims. Regardless the corydoras will likely school together. They are, however, unlikely to breed in captivity. Google is not your friend when it comes to these species. I have found the same images used for different species of this complex. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 5:58 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

On second thoughts, it does remind me of C. Napoensis …

C239B987-5A48-4AB8-A17C-ECF01CC66177.png

Yeah, there was 3-4 that were very similar. Some had the dots on the belly, others didn't.  Some had dots as opposed to reticulated pattern on the head.  Very similar to Julii vs. False Julii, but just with a slight alteration in the colors. 

Some have a patters on the tail, some have white fins.  I think it was the one I had linked, but you put those two side by side and it's real tough to tell a difference.

Biliniteatus:  (slightly more of a worm / reticulated pattern on the head, might change as it gets bigger, yellowish dorsal with specs and pattern, gold coloration on the gill plate, curl around the bottom of the eye is pretty defined from the body pattern)
Bilineatus.jpg.7650fd3bcbd3310e520d9dd22f0d8a9c.jpg

Naponesis
(black on the leading ray of the dorsal, pattern on the tail fin, gold coloration on the gill, but not as pronounced, more of a "black body with silver dots" pattern)
Naponesis.jpg.fb193527b801a93f50b5878c0a24e413.jpg

Actual: (hard to tell, yellow as opposed to silver coloration, main black bar on the body does go into the body, dots on the belly, very distinct pattern on the head)
image.png.b1b7719cf8f39f6a8c124c010f411d30.png

On 12/17/2022 at 1:25 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

This however is not accurate I.D. by me. There is simply little information on these species and a lack of a dichotomous key for me to make strong claims. Regardless the corydoras will likely school together. They are, however, unlikely to breed in captivity. Google is not your friend when it comes to these species. I have found the same images used for different species of this complex. 

1000%.  It's pretty bad.  Hopefully planet catfish is a bit reliable!

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 3:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, there was 3-4 that were very similar. Some had the dots on the belly, others didn't.  Some had dots as opposed to reticulated pattern on the head.  Very similar to Julii vs. False Julii, but just with a slight alteration in the colors. 

Some have a patters on the tail, some have white fins.  I think it was the one I had linked, but you put those two side by side and it's real tough to tell a difference.

Biliniteatus:  (slightly more of a worm / reticulated pattern on the head, might change as it gets bigger, yellowish dorsal with specs and pattern, gold coloration on the gill plate, curl around the bottom of the eye is pretty defined from the body pattern)

Naponesis
(black on the leading ray of the dorsal, pattern on the tail fin, gold coloration on the gill, but not as pronounced, more of a "black body with silver dots" pattern)

Actual: (hard to tell, yellow as opposed to silver coloration, main black bar on the body does go into the body, dots on the belly, very distinct pattern on the head)

IF the pictures are accurate of all instances look at the tail; the Biliniteatus has a clean tail; where as the fish pictured does not. What i don't know is if difference specimen or different sex differ in this area; but that seems to be different in this fish than the two pictured above.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 4:11 PM, anewbie said:

IF the pictures are accurate of all instances look at the tail; the Biliniteatus has a clean tail; where as the fish pictured does not. What i don't know is if difference specimen or different sex differ in this area; but that seems to be different in this fish than the two pictured above.

Yeah. We have to wait for fins to come in to see more pattern.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, T. Payne said:

I see the differences in body shape, eye position and in the mouth area.

Hmm that is quite interesting, I will have to evaluate the photos based on these areas now. I did not think to look at those features before.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Corydoras bilineatus is my best guess. The difference between elegans and bilineatus appears to be that elegans has a more diffused line marking. Whereas bilineatus 2 lines do not break up. Corydoras bilineatus also originate from the Madeira river basin which overlaps with where otocinclus are typically caught. Whereas other species of this complex originate from the lower Orinoco and central Amazon basins. If this was a mistake in the shipment, than it is strongly likely that the range of the two species would need to overlap, as otocinclus are still largely wild caught.

I think that this is a great deal closer to an answer, and a very solid argument.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Naponesis

I feel that the definition of the lateral stripes is quite pronounced more akin to Bilineatus. Here is another picture of the fins, even though it may not make a difference. I appreciate all of your comments.

09399637-655A-472C-B3E1-59C2C8EFA8E2.jpeg

On 12/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

@Biotope Biologist what would you recommend in regard to getting a school? Will different species of Cory’s school together? While I would love to be able to breed them, I am more concerned about getting some other fish he will school with.

Edited by 411fishkeeping
Sp.

Based on dorsal pattern, tail shape, etc. I lean towards... 

I think bilineatus/naboensis can have a distinctive mark on the pectoral fins, leading ray.  I don't see that here, but difficult to tell from your photo.

Corydoras (lineage 5) napoensis

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=5642

On 12/17/2022 at 8:51 PM, 411fishkeeping said:

Do any of you think that this one is a serious contender?

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=431

Could be.  Have to get a photo with natural light and try to see if you see any yellowing on the fins.  There's a lot of them with "mucky" patterns in the lineage and looking at some of the main ones you'll see the variation between that singular type, but there are some identifying marks. 

Hopefully you can snag a photo of the cory laying somewhere still.  With your own eyes what colors do you see with the fins?  Are they clear or yellowish?  Is the light making them look yellow, or are they yellow I mean.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 12/17/2022 at 8:35 PM, 411fishkeeping said:

@Biotope Biologist what would you recommend in regard to getting a school? Will different species of Cory’s school together? While I would love to be able to breed them, I am more concerned about getting some other fish he will school with.

I would recommend looking for bilineatus or elegans. The group itself is called elegans.

Corydoras will school together. The corydora you linked also come from where otos are caught so it is possible. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2022 at 1:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Naponesis

I vote this one.

Looks like a healthy female!

On 12/17/2022 at 10:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Corydoras (lineage 5) napoensis

Looks basically spot on for this one.

Man.... it's close.
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=corydoras(ln5)_bilineatus&image_id=14471

Can you take a side shot from directly on the side?

• Thanks 1