Thoughts on my 75g stocking list?

Ninjoma

I think I've just about finalized my stocking list for my 75g tank (48x18x20)! It's definitely inspired by the top 5 freshwater sharks blog post https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/freshwater-sharks . Anyone have thoughts? Could I squeeze in a few more roseline sharks or would that overcrowd the tank?

-4 Pearl Gourami
-6 Roseline Sharks
-4 Siamese Algae Eaters
-2 Bolivian Rams
-1 Pictus Catfish
-1 Rainbow Shark

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 5:45 PM, Ninjoma said:

-4 Pearl Gourami
-6 Roseline Sharks
-4 Siamese Algae Eaters
-2 Bolivian Rams
-1 Pictus Catfish
-1 Rainbow Shark

Rams might not want the same temp as the SAE and the Rainbow Sharks.

I would have to check but rams want it warmer usually, generally. 78 vs. 74-76 type of thing.

My SAE and RTBS have been warm, I added a ram to the tank, it didn't end well. 😞

Just please double check. Make sure the ram is warm enough.

Just keep in mind also, your rainbow shark will be less aggressive than my RTBS, but she doesn't enjoy SAEs at all. Having the rose lines with a similar body shape, that's where I think you could run into issues.

You'll need cover, places for them to relax, but the rainbow+SAE is fine. Not sure if the additional Roseline in that qty will cause an issue. I had 4 in my tank, 5+ was just too many.

1 RTBS and I had 5 SAE, pulled 2 for aggression.

On 12/15/2022 at 5:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Rams might not want the same temp as the SAE and the Rainbow Sharks.

I would have to check but rams want it warmer usually, generally. 78 vs. 74-76 type of thing.

My SAE and RTBS have been warm, I added a ram to the tank, it didn't end well. 😞

Just please double check. Make sure the ram is warm enough.

Just keep in mind also, your rainbow shark will be less aggressive than my RTBS, but she doesn't enjoy SAEs at all. Having the rose lines with a similar body shape, that's where I think you could run into issues.

You'll need cover, places for them to relax, but the rainbow+SAE is fine. Not sure if the additional Roseline in that qty will cause an issue. I had 4 in my tank, 5+ was just too many.

1 RTBS and I had 5 SAE, pulled 2 for aggression.

Thanks for the advise! My understanding is that Blue and Gold rams need higher temperatures like 80+, but Bolivian Rams like it 72-79. I was planning on aiming for 77 or 78 in this tank, which should work from what I've read so far.

I definitively plan to include several good hiding places and add the rainbow shark last, so hopefully he'll only claim a small cave. But, I can try something else if they can't get along.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 7:01 PM, flyingcow said:

Yeah, Bolivians like mid to high 70's, but in my experience, be careful with only 2 that aren't a breeding pair. Although, my negative experiences were in a 30" tank, not at 48" tank. If I do multiples again, it'll be 4 or 5 in a 48" tank.

I was thinking I would get a male and a female with the hopes that they pair up. I heard there can be issues with more than one male in the tank? What ratio were you thinking with 4 or 5?

What happened with the two you had? 

On 12/15/2022 at 6:10 PM, Ninjoma said:

mperatures like 80+, but Bolivian Rams like it 72-79. I was planning on aiming for 77 or 78 in this tank, which should work from what I've read so far.

Yeah. I wouldn't take a Bolivian below 76.

On 12/15/2022 at 6:10 PM, Ninjoma said:

I definitively plan to include several good hiding places and add the rainbow shark last, so hopefully he'll only claim a small cave. But, I can try something else if they can't get along.

100% I just don't know if the Roseline and SAEs would want the same thing. I assume so. Same family of fish.

My SAEa were a lot like Bettas in that they wanted a place to lay and not swim constantly.

On 12/15/2022 at 10:19 PM, Ninjoma said:

I was thinking I would get a male and a female with the hopes that they pair up. I heard there can be issues with more than one male in the tank? What ratio were you thinking with 4 or 5?

What happened with the two you had? 

It's a bit tough to sex them as juveniles. So I wound up with 2 males. 1 dominated the other and the little one died before I had a rescue tank set up for him. at 4 or 5, I'd be less concerned about ratio, but if possible, 3f2m would be good.

When I was looking at Bolivian rams I asked folks who keep them about temp. @xXInkedPhoenixX keeps theirs in an unheated tank and they do fine. I think your temp goals will make them very happy. Sounds like it’s going to be a delightful tank. I have zero shark experience so have no helpful input on your stock choices. Good luck I’m looking forward to following along. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 8:45 PM, Ninjoma said:

I think I've just about finalized my stocking list for my 75g tank (48x18x20)! It's definitely inspired by the top 5 freshwater sharks blog post https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/freshwater-sharks . Anyone have thoughts? Could I squeeze in a few more roseline sharks or would that overcrowd the tank?

-4 Pearl Gourami
-6 Roseline Sharks
-4 Siamese Algae Eaters
-2 Bolivian Rams
-1 Pictus Catfish
-1 Rainbow Shark

pictus and rams are throwing me off, pictus if im not wrong need strong flow, rams need hot water

You may have to watch once the pictus once it gets bigger. They eat anything that the can fit in there mouth. The rams could become a snack. The pictus can also eat lager amounts of food at once. I lost many good size corys to one. Once it ate 5 full grown bronze corys. I only knew because it was so fat it could barley swim. I love them I think they are beautiful fish. One thing to remember is it’s mouth is much larger than it looks. I expands when striking at prey like most predatory fish.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:23 AM, Aiden Carter said:

pictus and rams are throwing me off, pictus if im not wrong need strong flow, rams need hot water

I'll be using an aquaclear 110 HOB and an ACO powerhead for flow.

Most rams need hot water, but I don't think that applies to Bolivian Rams.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 6:55 AM, rockfisher said:

You may have to watch once the pictus once it gets bigger. They eat anything that the can fit in there mouth. The rams could become a snack. The pictus can also eat lager amounts of food at once. I lost many good size corys to one. Once it ate 5 full grown bronze corys. I only knew because it was so fat it could barley swim. I love them I think they are beautiful fish. One thing to remember is it’s mouth is much larger than it looks. I expands when striking at prey like most predatory fish.

I've ben deliberating this. I've seen recommendations of 2" fish, like cherry barbs, with pictus, so I was thinking Bolivian Rams would be okay since they are 2.5"-3". But if they can eat fully grown bronze corys, that is concerning. Rams might be thicker than corys though?

On 12/16/2022 at 12:24 PM, Ninjoma said:

I've ben deliberating this. I've seen recommendations of 2" fish, like cherry barbs, with pictus, so I was thinking Bolivian Rams would be okay since they are 2.5"-3". But if they can eat fully grown bronze corys, that is concerning. Rams might be thicker than corys though?

I think that if you buy one on the small size you should be ok. I had mine over 12 years and it was good size. Rams aren’t on the bottom all the time which may help, but these catfish well eat throughout the water column. I think you will be fine for years. I just wanted you to know that it could be an issue in the future. A few more rams will likely help. Hiding places or heavily planted areas in the tank will help.

• Like 1