Betta with popeye and a potential injury.

Tam

On 1/30/2023 at 6:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

are you just meaning bubbles staying at the surface? If you want to take a video for us! 🙂

It won't let me upload a video...? But here are screenshots from the videos I took, the first one is after I first added it and the second one is what I took just now about 4 hours later. There's even more now... 😐650488759_ScreenShot2023-01-30at6_16_04PM.png.10465c26104be4f8650de8c0233029bb.png1683963144_ScreenShot2023-01-30at6_16_12PM.png.e25025cff575e67656fe3ec77320e05d.png

On 1/30/2023 at 6:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yes, that is normal with meds.  As CotS mentioned, water viscosity changes and that results in the bubbles sticking around.  It's nothing bad at all, entirely normal.

Thank you, you've set my mind at ease 😅

On 1/30/2023 at 8:35 PM, Tam said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I might've already discovered that the hard way 😂

A bitterness hits the back of the throat. The same thing happens to me when I refill my Splenda Tupperware for my coffee, but that is more pleasant. 🙂

On 1/30/2023 at 9:17 PM, Tam said:

won't let me upload a video...? But here are screenshots from the videos I took, the first one is after I first added it and the second one is what I took just now about 4 hours later. There's even more now... 😐

Looks the same as when I used it. Once you complete treatment and start doing your water changes, it will go away. At that time, you can add carbon to help remove it. Just set a mesh bag or pantyhose full of carbon on top of the sponge filter. 

On 1/31/2023 at 1:59 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Looks the same as when I used it. Once you complete treatment and start doing your water changes, it will go away. At that time, you can add carbon to help remove it. Just set a mesh bag or pantyhose full of carbon on top of the sponge filter. 

That's a relief! I just added the day 2 packet, held me breath when I opened it to avoid the initial cloud of powder and then mixed it in a glass before pouring it in, thanks for the tip! I don't actually have any carbon, is it necessary to use it or is it fine to just let it dilute out with regular water changes?

On 1/31/2023 at 5:43 PM, Tam said:

That's a relief! I just added the day 2 packet, held me breath when I opened it to avoid the initial cloud of powder and then mixed it in a glass before pouring it in, thanks for the tip! I don't actually have any carbon, is it necessary to use it or is it fine to just let it dilute out with regular water changes?

It’s not necessary. I just use it because I have it around but I probably wouldn’t go out and buy it. 

water changes will remove the medicine.

• 1 year later...
On 12/8/2022 at 4:08 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Aww @Tam I'm sorry!! I think kanaplex is a good course of action.

The ammonia is concerning for sure but it may or may not have been the cause- water parameters are typically the cause of BOTH eyes having popeye- so inspect him closely. Usually one eye is an injury. Now the ammonia will not help the infections he could get so that will need to be addressed.

Check the tank for other tankmates (can't remember if he had any) who have passed. Do you leave the Catappa in the tank? They can only stay in the tank for about a week before they start to decay in a hotter tank- so make sure you pull them. This is why I make Catappa tea instead. I didn't like the mess decaying leaves made in my tank. and I imagine could potentially cause ammonia. Would be fine if I had shrimp in my tanks but I don't. Also check for other decaying plant matter. 

The next thing you'll need to do if you haven't- check all around the tank for things that could have caused injury. Make sure the filter, hardscape and other items are not too close to the back or sides of the tank so he doesn't try and squeeze through and hurt himself. My test is if I can comfortably run my flat hand around the outside of the tank without having to rub hard against anything. Also make sure nothing has sharp edges. 

In the meantime in the QT keep the water pristine, you can also use aquarium salt in the tank with the Kanaplex. It's very important to make sure the water is good so I usually do daily small water changes when a fish has an infection like this. That can be problematic when medicating so you can do it every other day right before you medicate again. Also remember to put only as much salt back in the tank that you believe to be lost during the water change as salt does not dissipate. 

The other thing you can do to reduce swelling is short Epsom salt soaks. Epsom you can get at the drugstore if you don't have it - JUST MAKE SURE IT HAS NOTHING BUT SALT (some have oils like coconut or lavendar this are no good for your fish). So you mix 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon of water (I use an empty gallon jug and shake it to mix) then I take a small container and put my fish in there with a bit of the Epsom solution. This can be done for 10-15 minutes ONLY, once a day for 5-7 days as long as it doesn't stress the fish more and seems to be helping. 

Hope this helps. I know it's stressful. Betta are very difficult fish to keep. I hope he gets better. Popeye can be tricky. May take a few rounds of Kanaplex then a lot of time and care for them to get back to normal. 

@xXInkedPhoenixX Can I do the Kanaplex with all my fish in the tank? My Betta got her Popeye from injury. All was great and yesterday I was cleaning and really stirring up yucky in tank and she ran into something. She is still moving and eating fine. I just wanna help her. Also, Do I shut off the lights for entire tank ? I have a color mode so I could do Blue or something for few days to be easier on her so my plants still get light?. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

@Paynekiller I've had no issues with using Kanaplex with all my fish when treating a whole tank for one fish.

You don't NEED to shut off lights but does help with stress. Most plants only need a 4-6 hr cycle so you can shorten time. 

The most important thing with popeye or any physical injury is to keep the water VERY clean. We're trying to avoid secondary infections when a fish gets injured.  Hope this helps.

Also, welcome to the forum!

• Love 1

On 4/6/2024 at 8:03 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Paynekiller I've had no issues with using Kanaplex with all my fish when treating a whole tank for one fish.

You don't NEED to shut off lights but does help with stress. Most plants only need a 4-6 hr cycle so you can shorten time. 

The most important thing with popeye or any physical injury is to keep the water VERY clean. We're trying to avoid secondary infections when a fish gets injured.  Hope this helps.

Also, welcome to the forum!

@xXInkedPhoenixX Thank you so much. Swelling went down slightly and had her swimming improved until it didn't. She started swimming in circles and nose down and just stayed there. She kept seeming like she was getting better, I think I watched her for an entire 16hrs 😴 and her tank was super clean and we even quarantined her to be safe. So thinking might have been bladder issue now and popeye wasn't the only thing. Just before late bedtime she was happy I thought. Left side is of her since sick. Right side was last week. So rest in peace Marti McFish 🐟🐠 keep swimming. 

GridArt_20240406_210246519.jpg

Edited by Paynekiller
tag reply
  • Sad 2