Anubias damage

Stan Z

On 11/25/2022 at 6:06 AM, Stan Z said:

I had a lot of brown algae on them, took them out of the tank and doused them with peroxide. Could that have caused this? They’ve been in the tank too long for melting.

I would need to see the actual rhizome.  I don't know if it's attaches or just the roots are in the substrate?  They Anubias is usually going to respond or adapt based on feeding behavior (bioload), lighting, and then dosing schedule. 

If you're having brown diatoms they can usually be removed with a toothbrush on the leaves and then you just clean the tank itself to get ahead of them.  Cut back lighting, dosing a bit leaner, reduce overfeeding, might be all you need.  If the leaves in question are on one end of the rhizome it's likely best to pull the most damaged ones off.  at this point I don't think it's necessary.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:06 AM, Stan Z said:

These Anubias had been fine until very recently. I had a lot of brown algae on them, took them out of the tank and doused them with peroxide. Could that have caused this? They’ve been in the tank too long for melting.

B1FA5DAC-9862-4596-81F4-80806147C032.jpeg

71E67708-DFCA-4466-A92A-91A18497E457.jpeg

How long did you leave it on there? Was it diluted?

Could be damage from the peroxide if too high a dose was applied. I'm not very subtle with my Anubias whenever something happens to a leaf due to the fact of how many I have in my tank to take care of I just cut them off, and in about a month there are new leaves. I've even had rhizomes where I cut all the leaves off and new leaves were sprouting in about a month and a half, not in my current tank but a previous one where two Anubias had basically taken over a complete 55 gallon tank. I ended up chopping the two rhizomes into about fifty small pieces and attached them to rocks with twine and ended up having fifty new small Anubias plants.

Edited by Jungle Fan
typo
  • Like 1

I have used peroxide 3% in a spray bottle and have never had an issue as far as Anubias goes, but that was with small spot treatments and the spray bottle (which if i remember i used about 75-80% H2O2 and 25 or 20% dechlorinated water

there was one time i was attempting to clean up a Java fern and did soak it for a min. or 2 next day i had alot of yellow leaves (thinner leafs maybe?? I would just to be on safe side use the 3% but dilutted with some water

keep in mind this is just my experiences    HAVE a GREAT WEEKEND

PS the leaves themselves do not seem that bad, actually look like your average anubias leaves

Edited by glenn anthony
forgot to add last sentence