How do you place root tabs.

Guppysnail

I have an experiment project im working on in a tank with no fish using terra cotta pots  and gravel. I have 4 pots and thanks to @TeeJay I have exactly 4 root tabs and I only have 4 Val plants to work with. 

I don’t want to mess up. How far down away from the roots should I put them. Do I put them directly under the roots or do I put them beside the roots. Am I supposed to poke holes in them.

Thanks I’ve never used them and only have 1 shot without spending money. 

Edited by Guppysnail

You can put a pin prick hole in them to let air out and reduce floating.  This is more important if your substrate isn’t very deep.  I get them as deep as possible just pushing them in with my finger.  I go beside established plants, but under new plants is fine since their roots won’t be deep yet.  I try not to have the tabs directly against roots but there’s no way to prevent it with well rooted plants.  Just cram them in, basically.

Welcome to the dark side!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i stick them in close to the roots, but not under the plant. especially with vals, they seem to not like being disturbed. for actually placing them, i just shove them down into the substrate with my fingers. as long as you get them down a little bit, they'll stay down. if you just get them under the surface, they will probably float up or at least be visible when the capsule turns to goo.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:58 PM, lefty o said:

i stick them in close to the roots, but not under the plant. especially with vals, they seem to not like being disturbed. for actually placing them, i just shove them down into the substrate with my fingers. as long as you get them down a little bit, they'll stay down. if you just get them under the surface, they will probably float up or at least be visible when the capsule turns to goo.

ORD THANK YOU

On 11/18/2022 at 1:40 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have an experiment project im working on in a tank with no fish using terra cotta pots  and gravel. I have 4 pots and thanks to @TeeJay I have exactly 4 root tabs and I only have 4 Val plants to work with. 

I don’t want to mess up. How far down away from the roots should I put them. Do I put them directly under the roots or do I put them beside the roots. Am I supposed to poke holes in them.

Thanks I’ve never used them and only have 1 shot without spending money. 

Yes I do the same and everyone else said. Poke a hole in the end with a safety pin.swueeze out the air them place them as deep as I can in the substrate about an inch away from the base of the plant. They will find what they need.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, Guppysnail said:

How far down away from the roots should I put them. Do I put them directly under the roots or do I put them beside the roots

Depends what you want.  Generally 4-6" away from the plant and then you want it to be at least 2" deep, preferably 3" deep is "good".  Everything else you asked about was explained, but technically, that's the directions I've always followed.

Insert one Flourish Tab™ in the gravel for every 10–15 cm (4–6 in.) radius. A standard 10 gallon aquarium requires 6 tabs. Distribute the tablets evenly throughout the gravel bed. Push each tablet midway into the gravel bed. Add new tablets once every three to four months for optimal plant growth. Tabs will not alter pH, but, in very soft or unbuffered water, they have slightly acidic properties similar to peat moss.